Dark Souls 3

Roa

View attachment 1859
Beat Yhorm... this was probably the first boss I really struggled with since the tutorial boss. At first I thought he was just resistant to the stuff I prefer using (fire and physical) so I changed up my equipment and tried again a couple of times. And then I randomly noticed the item drop at the throne and got the Storm Ruler... and I'm not really happy with how you're supposed to get a puzzle boss' item DURING THE BATTLE, change up your equipment without being able to pause, and then figure out how to use the item's special ability under pressure when you barely have enough time to pull it off when you KNOW what you're doing. (Took a bunch of tries before I figured out you could STORE the charge and that you were supposed to unleash it with the 'skill' button to create a storm instead of as a strong attack to create a shockwave that did jack-diddly-squat). The battle started feeling really epic once I knew what I was doing and struggled to get enough distance to charge up the sword in time while being pursued by basically OoT Ganon on steroids, but the way the boss gimmick was presented isn't really what I'd call good boss design, especially not after all previous bosses being beatable by just hitting them with whatever you'd got. (Greatwood, Deacons and Wolnir both had weak points you needed to hit to deal damage, but none of them needed you to use a specific weapon and all had very clear tells what the weak point was)
That's because you were supposed to get onion boy to help fight him. he dies in like 20seonds if you do the side quest. He is joke, one of the easiest bosses in the game, even without storm ruler. He can't hit worth a 💩💩💩💩. He just has a lot of health.
And yeah, in every game in the series, there is at least one boss that punishes not completing a side story. It's too encourage exploration. Though side quest in 3 are stupidly cryptic. Like, crouching at an unremarkable cliff across a lake for 10 seconds so a tornado can sweep you away levels of cryptic.

You're actually supposed to help him in the tower right after the great rotwood, follow him to slay the demon, then rescue him in the cathedral of the deep. He is in a well off to the corner outside the door of the first bonfire. He then helps you fight yhorm by kicking his 💩💩💩💩 in with storm ruler and tanking all the hits with Catarina armor. You probably dont even have to fight, you can just watch with some popcorn lol. he is like the Iron Tarkus of dark souls 1.

When I first started reading this I was like "How can this be possible, she beat pontif", but you missed onion boy.

Last edited:

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
I guess that explains the complete lack of NPC summon signs outside Yhorm's arena. Welp. And there's zero indication you can even interact with the well. T__T
(Checked it out when I first arrived, expecting a secret passage or something... but nothing interesting)

I know I compared this game with Castlevania before, but why did it have to be Castlevania II? :p

Reactions: Roa

Roa

I guess that explains the complete lack of NPC summon signs outside Yhorm's arena. Welp. And there's zero indication you can even interact with the well. T__T
(Checked it out when I first arrived, expecting a secret passage or something... but nothing interesting)

I know I compared this game with Castlevania before, but why did it have to be Castlevania II? :p
Yeah, some of the stuff in this game is obnoxious. There are some NPCs that only hang around for a limited time, but only if you do something out of order or go back to a place you normally wouldnt for no reason. Lots of cryptic stuff. dark souls 3 isnt very polished.

You should sub to this guy, his video are great

This second video pisses me off. Man, fat builds just dont work in 3.

Last edited:

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
I managed to kill Aldritch with a projectile, then get hit by one of his and just BARELY get the win to count in time before snuffing it. Cue cutscene, getting warped to somewhere and instantly dying (before the screen even faded in!) and restarting at the Anor Londo bonfire. GG. x3

I was pleasantly surprised, though... the Aldritch bonfire was automatically lit, and my bloodstain was dropped in the boss room instead of in the Lothric church... with 60,000 extra souls added to it. So all in all, I didn't lose anything other than an ember~
upload_2016-8-10_21-10-48.png

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Beat the dancer and progressed all the way to the grand archives... I'm back to pyromancy at the moment after toying around with sorcery for a while, most battles in Anor Londo and Lothric Castle has been pretty straightforward rendering Spook moot and a great deal of the enemies are weak to fire as well. I'm also having a short bow in my off hand slots to lure enemies and stuff... it's a lot easier to hit enemies out of your lockon range with arrows, and dexterity is good both for spellcasting speed and bow damage, so it's a pretty nice synergy. Kinda weird that you almost never see offensive mages with bows in other games... x3

The Dancer armor set looks fashionable AF! ^__________^ I'm considering replacing my old fashion combo with it in a way that still lets me wear the Thief Mask without it looking weird... and without going past a comfortable equip load. I probably can't wear leggings without exceeding 70% judging from my current stock.
upload_2016-8-11_0-28-59.png

Reactions: Roa

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
upload_2016-8-11_20-50-21.png
Running away as far as possible helped a lot more than all the advanced dodge techniques I've learned since the tutorial bout. x3

F

Frozen Stick

View attachment 2036
Running away as far as possible helped a lot more than all the advanced dodge techniques I've learned since the tutorial bout. x3
You are about to face enemies....that are harder....than the bosses themselves....and I'm not kidding....they are freaking hard with their shields.....
But really every time I see dark souls 3...I scream(ice-cream:p) and run....

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Yup, but I kinda lost interest in bragging about my exploits after reaching a consecutive triplepost with no replies. :p
The view at the altar at the top feels like a reward in itself for getting that far, too.
upload_2016-8-20_16-39-31.png

Tried the boss a few times, but I switched over to working towards beating the final boss first for now. The first phase takes forever to get through, and being close enough to the dragon to actually hit it messes a lot with the camera. The flying fire attack also just feels cheap... even if you block it, you still take an unavoidable second hit that deals what appears to be over 750 damage, and you don't really get a different tell for that and the dragon just repositioning letting you get out of the way. It feels like the best way to win this battle is to keep in a place where the boss keeps doing jabs at you instead of positioning yourself where he can't hit you, but the boss' erratic movements and bulk messes up the camera so that it's hard to see what you're doing. It feels more like a war of attrition than anything else, really, especially given how you're mainly able to hit its feet for 10-25% of the damage hitting the head deals. Doesn't even seem particularly weak to electric weapons.

Roa

Yup, but I kinda lost interest in bragging about my exploits after reaching a consecutive triplepost with no replies. :p
The view at the altar at the top feels like a reward in itself for getting that far, too.
View attachment 2200

Tried the boss a few times, but I switched over to working towards beating the final boss first for now. The first phase takes forever to get through, and being close enough to the dragon to actually hit it messes a lot with the camera. The flying fire attack also just feels cheap... even if you block it, you still take an unavoidable second hit that deals what appears to be over 750 damage, and you don't really get a different tell for that and the dragon just repositioning letting you get out of the way. It feels like the best way to win this battle is to keep in a place where the boss keeps doing jabs at you instead of positioning yourself where he can't hit you, but the boss' erratic movements and bulk messes up the camera so that it's hard to see what you're doing. It feels more like a war of attrition than anything else, really, especially given how you're mainly able to hit its feet for 10-25% of the damage hitting the head deals. Doesn't even seem particularly weak to electric weapons.
This forum doesnt update for me all the time, even when I subscribe. Idk why. There have been entire threads I have missed simply because it never tells me anything has been happening.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
As far as I've seen, if you check a topic and don't reply, you won't get alerts from subsequent posts in it. Not sure if that's a bug with the "only give you one alert per topic" thing or a feature.

Roa

As far as I've seen, if you check a topic and don't reply, you won't get alerts from subsequent posts in it. Not sure if that's a bug with the "only give you one alert per topic" thing or a feature.
thats...kinda stupid. If I subscribe to see changes in a thread, I should be able to see all changes lol.

Gamer (ex-Cantavanda)

〜Flower Prince〜
I already saw it lol

@Yal You make me want to give this game another shot.
YAL will make you want to do anything, she is that beautiful, powerful, charismatic and good at manipulating, she could even make you commit a mass murder if she wanted. Luckly she doesn't use these powers for bad things, only good things, like you playing DS3.

Roa

YAL will make you want to do anything, she is that beautiful, powerful, charismatic and good at manipulating, she could even make you commit a mass murder if she wanted. Luckly she doesn't use these powers for bad things, only good things, like you playing DS3.
Way to make it awkward... lol

Or maybe I'm just better at HIDING using them for evil...♫

Do it~
Just because it's the worst game in the series doesn't mean it's a BAD game :p
Yeah, I'm just spoiled. I never beat the game and its something I should do before I ever play bloodborne

Roa

I'm stuck in DARK SOULS (1) in the forest, I just beat the two Gargoyles but I don't know where to go...
in the forest..? You mean in the bellfry? Shoot, its been so long. I think you have to go to lower undead berg.

OH, did you unlock sen's funhouse?

Gamer (ex-Cantavanda)

〜Flower Prince〜
in the forest..? You mean in the bellfry? Shoot, its been so long. I think you have to go to lower undead berg.

OH, did you unlock sen's funhouse?
Yes I went under that tower with the big bearded seller man and entered the forest but I always get lost in it. I think the boss is a butterfly