Trying to Open a Port (Solved)

Zechevalier

If this isn't the right place to ask this help me out.

- I tried opening a port in my router settings
- I created firewall exceptions to my port
- I even tried setting up my PC as a DMZ (Basically allows all port traffic)

But when i test the port it always shows as closed using an online "open port check tool."

I'm working on a small server tool. Atm i can host a server on my local network, and connect to it using other devices on the same network, but I cannot connect using a device outside of the network using port: 55*** (Not sharing actual port)

If anyone can help me out i'll give you a cookie or something.

Ihato

Nothing really that can be done, since you didn't share your router model or what kind of. Perhaps you didn't set it up correctly. Perhaps your server isn't working to begin with. In any case, it's better if you get a VPS (which go for like $3) since you'll have a public IP and be always online (difficult and expensive to do so in home). Btw nothing wrong with sharing the port since there are only 65535 of them anyway.

Zechevalier

Good to know, but I actually figured it out!

I have a modem/router combo, and i had to log in to the modem and set the router's IP as a DMZ, because the router itself was blocking the port before it ever got forwarded.

Mercerenies

Is your router plugged into ethernet or cable? I'm at an apartment, and my router is plugged into ethernet because the apartment complex itself has an additional firewall that I don't control. I'm not sure if your situation is similar, but if it is then you'll need some kind of VPS or VPN as Yanevski already said.

EDIT: Welp. Beat me to it. I'll leave this post here for posterity, but glad to see you got it sorted.