• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Opinion What type of roguelike do you prefer?

T

TheBlindG

Hello lovely people on GMS!

I am just making a quick poll to see what kinda of roguelike people enjoy more, it's mostly for fun to see what people like! :)

https://strawpoll.com/r66514c7

Thanks for taking your time to make a quick vote! :D Much appriciated!

Best, Marcus

MissingNo.

TheBlindG Binding of Issac, does have a little progression with all the unlockables it has. I mean you do technically start over from scratch but you don't
start all over like you do when first booting the game.

Man I just can't do starting from scratch roguelikes, nothing more infuriating to me then playing a run for hours and hours just to die and feel like I wasted my time and accomplished nothing.
Binding of Issac is different because at least the runs are short and you do unlock new items and characters while playing.

T

TheBlindG

TheBlindG Binding of Issac, does have a little progression with all the unlockables it has. I mean you do technically start over from scratch but you don't
start all over like you do when first booting the game.

Man I just can't do starting from scratch roguelikes, nothing more infuriating to me then playing a run for hours and hours just to die and feel like I wasted my time and accomplished nothing.
Binding of Issac is different because at least the runs are short and you do unlock new items and characters while playing.
Well, true, tho I feel like it's still a start form scratch game when u r at the end! :)

11clock

Roguelikes where your character starts from scratch each time but you unlock more stuff as you complete the game’s various objectives, and runs are usually under an hour long. Isaac, Gungeon, and Monolith are good examples.

I am not a big fan of the Rogue Legacy style progression system. A huge part of the fun of a roguelike, at least to me, is just jumping into a fresh new run and seeing what kind of s*** you will get. It is basically the “just bought a new game let’s dive right in” feeling every time you turn on the game. Rogue Legacy style progression is a normal game where you can only access the upgrade tree by dying. It is grindy and unfulfilling.

I also don’t like traditional Roguelikes because they are so slow and long. They aren’t the kind of games where I can turn on after a day of work and play for an hour.

Last edited:
L

Lonewolff

Diablo II, my all time favourite. Loved Scared 2 also. I am guessing these fall in to the first category (going by screenshots of the games I have never before seen).

I also don’t like traditional Roguelikes because they are so slow and long. They aren’t the kind of games where I can turn on after a day of work and play for an hour.
Which roguelikes have you played? Because a lot of traditional ones are really fast-paced. The ones I'm most familiar with all have features like running and auto-explore that make runs really fast. POWDER in particular has smaller maps, so progression is fast. My run where I beat it only took about an hour. The part that takes the longest with roguelikes is the initial learning curve. Once you get over that and understand how to play properly, the speed at which you play naturally increases to a relatively absurd level.

11clock

Which roguelikes have you played? Because a lot of traditional ones are really fast-paced. The ones I'm most familiar with all have features like running and auto-explore that make runs really fast. POWDER in particular has smaller maps, so progression is fast. My run where I beat it only took about an hour. The part that takes the longest with roguelikes is the initial learning curve. Once you get over that and understand how to play properly, the speed at which you play naturally increases to a relatively absurd level.
Dungeons of Dredmore. Every floor takes like 2 hours to explore, 45 minutes in their fast track mode. And there are 10 floors at minimum. We are talking about an up to 20 hour run.

Dungeons of Dredmore. Every floor takes like 2 hours to explore, 45 minutes in their fast track mode. And there are 10 floors at minimum. We are talking about an up to 20 hour run.
Oh my, that's... rather excessive. NetHack is a little too slow/long for me and even that only takes about 5-7 hours on an ascension run, and that's upwards of 60 floors!

MilkMan5x

I love roguelikes like IVAN where it has extreme degrees of freedom
In that game you could even slice your limbs off and eat it.. And regenerate the banana-flesh version of your once lost limbs (but not recommended)