Discussion Almost little-known Media

E

ethian

Before i get out of here, ever heard of almost little-known media?

Almost little-known media consist on videogames, TV shows, Movies, etc... that aren't known by almost anyone... well, they're actually popular, but in a certain part of the world, but not the entire world, just a part of it.

Yume Nikki and Homestar Runner are examples of what is popular in just a part or parts of this world, but not popular in my country.

I have now a chance to show to you another example that is, unlike those 2 examples mentioned before, they're just popular in other countries besides the US instead of the US.

Villa Dulce is a flash-animated (It seems) TV cartoon from Chile (Country) about a town called Villa Dulce... it seems South Park-inspired, as Villa Dulce is a real place in Chile, like South Park that is a real place in the US.
Talking about South Park inspiration, i also seen the cartoon has also Invader Zim inspiration...
Unlike South Park, the show, as it seems a cartoon, it's aimed at kids, despite using the word "Damn", but in Chile, the use of "Damn" is not so ilegal-seeming compared to the US.
Premiered in 2004 (Year) This cartoon was popular in Chile in its times. I don't live in Chile, but i heard about this cartoon before.

Bonus : The cartoon has also on its OST, a few songs that are better than Megalovania, in my opinion...

And you... what other media that is just known on a single country you know more?

The point of this topic is to show little known media each other... i guess...

Gamer (ex-Cantavanda)

〜Flower Prince〜
I love super obscure Japanese visual rock from the 90s on cassette tapes, I collect that. Some bands only made 1 tape before disappearing completely. Sometimes release dates or member lineups are unknown too. Sometimes they're not documented or mentioned anywhere on the internet, or only go on sale once per 5 years on Japanese auctions. The music can be amazing, or can suck sometimes. Always a mystery.

G

GVmG

TL;DR I like weird artistic "games" with little to no gameplay.

I have a soft spot for Walking Simulator games.

Originally (and often even now) used as a derogatory term because of the lacking "game-ness", the term is said to have multiple origins, from some late-2000s/early-2010s horror indie games, to DayZ where players "for the main portion of the game traverse the huge world without doing much else", to some sporadic Google searches from even before then. Which games fit or don't fit under the term depends on whoever you ask, hence why most of the sources I found don't seem to talk about LSD Dream Emulator which is probably one of the most known ones, but the term has been shifting to more artistic "experience" games in the past few years, somewhat positively.

I like a lot of these games no matter how little actual logical content they have. They might be showing you a heartfelt emotional story, letting you explore a beautiful world, or just throwing random graphics at the screen to make you dizzy for the sake of it, or trying to get a laugh out of you, and in either case I'd probably enjoy them. A lot of the time they are artistic, and most of those artistic times they are """artistic""".

Some of the games are literally just that, you walk around and see things. Others have some twist to them, like:
- the well known LSD Dream Emulator, has somewhat procedural music and textures (both the songs and textures are premade, but the game randomly choses a texture set and soundfont) and lets you warp between "dreams" when you touch anything - yet has a ton of logic behind it when you look at the code, fan theories and the story behind the game
- one of my favourites, Bernband, gives you nothing but the ability to walk and explore a decent sized and well stylized alien world, with tons of little details and amazing sound and visual design
- the more gameplay-focused #19: The Sun, which is the upcoming sequel to #21: The Sun (which I still have to watch through, but as far as I can tell doesn't have nearly as much gameplay as #19), both of which have some worldbuild-y elements mixed with pure randomness and surreal stuff

I don't know why I like this kind of games. Maybe I just like trying to link the semi-random elements together, or just being surprised at the stupid stuff they can show me, or whatever else they have to offer. Either way, as you can probably tell from the links I posted, Vinny from Vinesauce also appreciates these kinds of games (and often plays them during Sunday streams, dedicated to weird, confusing and often bad games, which is where I get most of my fill), so the genre has been expanding and growing, although I'd say it's still definitely "little-known".

Last edited by a moderator:
G

GVmG

@GVmG Play Journey. It will make you freaking cry (If you play it late enough at night.) Flower is good too.
I played it a while ago, it was pretty cool. Yes I would personally count it as a Walking Simulator (even if it's swimming, yeah lol)

I don't know Flower, I'll check it out.

W

Walky

Villa Dulce is a flash-animated (It seems) TV cartoon from Chile (Country) about a town called Villa Dulce... it seems South Park-inspired, as Villa Dulce is a real place in Chile, like South Park that is a real place in the US.
Funnily enough, I'm Chilean and my in-laws live in Villa Dulce. :p

W

Walky

Not really a one-country thing, but the Chilean show "31 Minutos" is insanely popular in Central and South America, and I think people probably don't know it exists anywhere else.

It's a puppets show about a newscast. I has songs, an educational touch and a very special humor that makes it OK for children but also makes it enjoyable by grown-ups. It's almost 15 years old and they still make concert tours.

In one episode, the newscast's channel is bough by japanese investors:

There's also a movie, probably not as fondly remembered but it has its moments:

E

ethian

Not really a one-country thing, but the Chilean show "31 Minutos" is insanely popular in Central and South America, and I think people probably don't know it exists anywhere else.

It's a puppets show about a newscast. I has songs, an educational touch and a very special humor that makes it OK for children but also makes it enjoyable by grown-ups. It's almost 15 years old and they still make concert tours.
I also know 31 Minutos... it says "idiot", but that language isn't also ilegal in Chile as "Damn" mentioned before. Also, 31 Minutos is ridiculous! but it doesn't mean that it's bad, sometimes ridiculous stuff makes you laugh and other times makes you get annoyed... in the case of 31 Minutos, makes you laugh, mainly.

Let's talk about other almost not so known media...

What about Diego & Glot and Furiki Wheels?

Diego & Glot isn't so mainly starred by Diego and Glot, Diego is a 10-year boy and Glot is a dog. Diego is shown more with his classmates, Danilo and Droguett.

Trivia : Danilo is similar to a character from Jimmy Neutron.

Diego & Glot is an animated comedy... it seems so much... it seems not so aimed at kids but it's aimed at kids anyways, as grown-up content present like using words like "pathetic" and "idiot" isn't so ilegal in Chile compared with the US (Mentioned before)

In the other hand, Furiki Wheels is about a hyperactive sloth called Andre, and studies in a car driving school.

That show is shown in Nat Geo Kids, and my favorite parts of that show are when a character called Champion insults Andre, and when a character called Gordon acts in every moment, he makes me go nuts!

Google says that 96 percent of the users of Google liked Diego & Glot, Arrow has also that.

W

Walky

I love Diego & Glot! Unfortunately it's not export material since it has extremely local references, so it probably wouldn't work even in neighboring countries.

It's been like 10 years since the last time I had cable TV (and terrestrial TV is too awful to even bother with), so I'm pretty much unaware of anything TV-related, particularly regarding local shows.

E

ethian

I love Diego & Glot!
Because of the 60 fps moves and how is a comedy that makes someone laugh?

Talking about 60 fps... Diego & Glot has smooth 60 fps moves on its classical 1st season when it was shown on TV in its time (2005), but they are not avaiable online (The moves). Do you renember, people who watched it in its time?

Talking about Online, Villa Dulce and Diego & Glot are still avaiable online, but in their official channel's website, not in YouTube, their videos on YouTube were locked because of copyright reasons.
Villa Dulce and Diego & Glot are examples of what someone can't upload on YouTube because of copyright reasons.

Now, let's now talk about Nat Geo Lab! It's a show from Nat Geo Kids similar to Disney's Art Attack, but it makes you make "Home experiments" instead of art stuff.

It's Nat Geo Lab starring a youtuber called Sebastián Villalobos! And Tubeto, who is a funny but sadly violent giant and living test tube.

t's a puppets show about a newscast.
Talking about puppets, let's talk about Opa Popa Dupa, the new show of Nat Geo Kids that was premiered today!

It's another puppets show about characters that show... i.d.k. ... but it's educational, and it seems it shows things like the earth planet... taking care of it recycling...

There is also "El ojo del Gato", a 3D animations show that seems cool... i never watched but i just seen a few photos of it in somewhere else...

Talking about 3D animation, there is also "Pulentos" another 3D animations show that... episodes of it are uploated by Angel F*caraccio with permission of its original channel (Canal 13), as one of its videos has a descripiton in english that demosters the videos are uploated with permission.

Talking about Opa Popa Dupa, my favourite characters are Condorcia y Monhaha. Condorcia is a condor that works for the police, and Monhaha is a monkey who tells jokes.

Also, Opa Popa Dupa was announced too many times since december last year to now.

Last edited by a moderator:
E

ethian

The videogame called Deltarune is also considered almost-little know media.
Despite being related to Undertale, is not exactly popular as Undertale... there's no shirts of this game sold on shops of my country that sells shirts of almost famous media like Anime... nethier certain people who know Undertale seem to know Deltarune...

Deltarune is about a kid called Kris, he goes to the school and the school's bully, called Susie, carries Kris to a part of a school that results to be a magic world full of a few surprises...

One of my favourite characters of Deltarune is a secret one called Jevil, he says that he can do anything! Something similar goes to Sherlock Holmes, he seems to do anything... (My opinion...)

And Jevil is in my avatar for some reason...

M

Misty

Also, a great game made by Wild Tangent is called BlasterBall 2.

I think its a great game that everyone should play. I think its one of the best games of all time.

Also they made a game called Betty Bad, but deleted it so you can't play. The game was made by the same guy who made Quake:

WildTangent deleted alot of their best games for no reason, but thankfully you are still allowed to play BlasterBall 2 which is one of their good ones. They made a Men In Black game and deleted it for no reason as well.

Last edited:

TheouAegis

Quo Vadis 2; Sega Saturn game, Japan exclusive, incredible soundtrack, kind of like an RTS tactical game without base building

Angelic Layer; Gameboy Advance game, similar to MegaMan.exe but based on the anime of the same name, just as cute as the anime :D

Hikaru No Go games; while the anime and manga have gotten coverage, I think the games are still unpopular, I prefer the Gameboy Advance ones, especially HnG2.

Arthur & Astaroth's Puzzle Ghosts & Goblins; while Ghosts & Goblins and Demon Crest are well-known games, this one is probably unknown by most, nice remixes of classic songs.

Wachenroeder; mediocre steampunk tactical RPG on the Saturn, personally it's one of my favorite games on the system

Lord Monarch; lots of people know about Falcom's Y's franchise, but Lord Monarch tends to be unknown, cute simple RTS

Deae Tonosama Ichiban; if you have heard of this game, then you know why it's "special" enough to mention :p

GeGeGe no Kitarou; one of my favorite long-running anime series, but the GBA and DS games are pretty fun simple platformers too, the other games aren't quite as fun for me

E

ethian

@Walky, talking about 31 Minutos...

I can't believe it went famous even in latin america! Hee hee hee...

Also, my favourite character is Dante Torobolino, the explosive magician! His appearance makes me go nuts for some reason... He should do martial arts someday!!!

E

ethian

Random animated movies that are not so known are my favorite!

They include characters that make me go nuts!

Well, not all of them..

What do you think?

E

ethian

"Kiko" is a children's animated series that has its available on the internet (You can find it in YouTube and Instagram, among others as "Kiko Animation")
It is also broadcast in a children's channel called ZooMoo (That is exclusive on DirecTV)
Despite being rated TV-Y, the show has some language use, like "Shut Up!"
My favorite character, for some reason, is a king fish with good arms called Karkus... what arms he have!

pixeltroid

Rendering Ranger is a rare SNES game (Released in 1995 only in Japan). It was developed by German programmer Manfred Trenz , creator of the Turrican series.

It was known for its use of rendered 3D graphics. It's game play can best be described as Contra meets space shmup action.

I personally haven't played it, but I studied the game for its visual style and game design elements. If you're working on a platformer, be sure to check it out.

Roa

pretty much every band I listen to, no one else does.
  • laura pounce and the drakes
  • Janus
  • covenant
  • garbage
  • My epic
  • And one
  • assemblage 23
  • alkaline trio
  • VNV nation
  • infected mushroom
  • bloc party
  • rancid
  • bad religion
  • snow mine
  • vancouver sleep clinic
  • the bravery
  • jars of clay
  • metric
  • Xzibit
  • modest mouse
  • howie day
  • jimmy eat world
  • sleeping at last
pretty much in that order. Some people have heard of some of these, but they only know one song at best usually and don't actually listen to them. Some of the metrics for the top of the list literally have sub-3000k monthly listeners. AKA, less than 3k songs are played per month.

I've heard of quite a few of them but not into any of them myself. Jimmy Eat World I only ever really liked one song(Bleed American I think?) But I haven't heard that since high school.
Metric I only know of because of Scott Pilgrim.
I had a friend really into Infected Mushroom in high school but it never did anything for me. They are actually playing around here soon, been seeing a lot of posters for like a month or two.

Reactions: Roa