GameMaker Night effect with limited colour palette

T

trentallain

Basically, if I am using the endesga 32 colour palette and I want my game to only use those colours. So no blending or alpha etc because that will ruin the effect. However for night time I need a way to make it look like night (with a light source around the player). What I was thinking of doing is shifting every colour "down one" on the screen, that is not in the circle around the player. For example, the light red becomes the slightly darker red. And black remains black because that is the darkest in the palette already. Anyone know if a shader could do this?

T

trentallain

@Pixelated_Pope made a pretty good palette swap shader, I've been using it for years. (Or at least it feels like years, I keep exaggerating all my number estimates :p)
So I would just colour swap it to a colour palette with all the colours shifted down 1?

So I would just colour swap it to a colour palette with all the colours shifted down 1?
You could actually define each alternate color specifically.

If you want the palette to only apply to a specific area of the screen, that is possible but can be a bit tricky to implement.