The Nintendo Fan Thread! - The Switch Pro!

M

Misty

I remember when I was a kid I used to get completely lost in games. There was this amazing feeling of discovering something new and visiting a world I had never seen before. Maybe I have rose-tinted glasses on. Very few games give me that feeling today. Although I did feel that way about BOTW. That was such a departure from the other Zelda games that it felt fresh and new. I hope Nintendo never stops making fresh new games in addition to redoing old ones.
Its not you. Its games that have changed.

ElectroMan

Jack of All Shades
No, it's rose-tinted lenses. Also a sign you're getting old. The "nostalgia" bias is real because memory selects for particularly intense moments. You don't remember bland or otherwise uncharacteristic memories, only those that affected you deeply. So only really good games (and bad ones) are remembered. This applies to everything besides games (like movies, shows, etc). Also why older people remember their childhood being better than nowadays, even though it's an observable fact that quality of life has been increasing over the decades.

Another factor is that when you were a child you had much more time to experience that media, so you have more data to make a judgement. It's not fair to compare it to the little time you spend gaming as an adult. Obviously you played more good games back then than today.

So yeah, no need to be preemptive and rash towards the gaming industry, that's just being a bitter adult. Learn your biases.

M

Misty

@ElectroMan Nope its not nostalgia. Sorry but I'd rather play many gamecube games than Witcher 3, also Mario Kart 8 is not as good as the older mario karts, halo 5 is not as good as the other halos either.

Also, quality of life is not increasing, especially not with Trump in office (Not saying I like Hillary either though.)

M

Misty

Its a judgement of aesthetics...as far as I can tell robots are not really great judges of it. I think aesthetics is inherently based on feelings. Thats not to say that its wholly subjective...generally feelings are pretty much universal, ie. being poked by a thumbtack, or fingernails on chalkboard, universally feels bad to everyone.

I am generally not a fan of games that advertise by saying "8 years of content". It is really a drainer for me to have to play a game in 8 years. I like gamecube and n64 games because it only took a few days or weeks to beat, respected me as an individual, and didn't have a monopoly on my time, meaning it respects other game devs as well, by not trying to monopolize gamers time. Now, I can argue the science as well as the ethics, of why it is biologically, physically unhealthy to have a game that takes 8 years to beat, as also why it is psychologically draining to play the same game world for 8 years. You can tell me that games like this, VR etc is improving quality of life but really it isn't, first of all the value of the dollar is decreasing so people cant even afford VR in general, second I doubt playing VR is really all that healthy, maybe in small doses but people usually lack the discipline for that.

Looks like the DQ character is the new DQ11 hero with 3 extra skins of past heroes including Erdrick himself. And the final smash appears to feature more if not all the past heroes.
That and Banjo are such excellent news. Now... who are the last two going to be...

Trials of Mana was such a wonderful surprise, and Panzer Dragoon! Mana collection is a nice addition.

After the woefully disappointing Travis Strikes Again, I'm excitebike for a new proper sequel, No More Heroes 3 looks sick.

I can't even believe they ported Witcher 3 to Switch. Switcher 3...

Animal Crossing is gorgeous, can't wait.

Zelda sequel is unexpected and exciting. Looks spooky too. Getting a feeling that Zelda herself will be part of the gameplay somehow. Perhaps just as a companion for puzzles but maybe even playable in some fashion. That would be exciting.

S

sofaspartan

I loved the pseudo level builder in Link's Awakening. Wouldn't it be a dream to have a Legend of Zelda maker?

I didn't realize Collection of Mana was out today. Would much rather have a physical copy, so I'll hold on until that comes out in August. $40 is a bit of a high price point, but it says a lot about the quality of the games (specifically Trials of Mana) that it's not completely off the table for me.
I couldn't wait for physical.

I played three hours of Trials of Mana with my brother today.

Also, I'm not hating the Link's Awakening remake like I thought I would.

...Except the atrocious, horribly implemented depth-of-field. 99% of the time, it's misused and looks like garbage. This and Octopath Traveler lost me with this trash. Like bloom, motion blur, and chromatic aberration, DoF is only good when used sparingly and only where it makes sense. I like to be able to actually SEE what I'm looking at. I made this to burn off some steam:
links-awakening-dof.png

Sk8dududu

Cadence of Hyrule AND leisure Suit Larry: Wet Dreams Don't Dry tomorrow. As well as Super Mario Maker 2 at the end of the month. Best month for switch releases that I've seen yet.

C

Cryptic Crusader

I would really like to see what would come out of smash bros. So far, the DLC characters have been really great surprises, I cannot wait to see what the last two characters could be.

M

Misty

Also, I'm not hating the Link's Awakening remake like I thought I would.

...Except the atrocious, horribly implemented depth-of-field. 99% of the time, it's misused and looks like garbage. This and Octopath Traveler lost me with this trash. Like bloom, motion blur, and chromatic aberration, DoF is only good when used sparingly and only where it makes sense. I like to be able to actually SEE what I'm looking at. I made this to burn off some steam:
View attachment 25193
I know how you feel. Mario Kart Wii would be one of my favorite Mario Karts...except for that horrible bloom on my eyes.-

I remember the old days when game devs were so hyped for bloom...mainly because they had no artistic talent and thought bloom would suddenly make their game look amazing and like "real life".

O.Stogden

Was going to make a topic about Animal Crossing seeing as it's out in 4 days, but figured this thread probably covered it.

So, who's looking forward to Animal Crossing? Metacritic scores are coming in, and looks like Nintendo didn't make a mess of it, which is good!

Had it pre-ordered since January, so hopefully get my copy on release day.

M

Misu

Im not a huge fan of Animal crossing unfortunately but I heard it has up and downs. It will be a great game since now animal crossing is showing off its potential on powerful handheld device. (not gonna say Switch is a home console because it doesnt act like one)

Aside from that, Im looking forward for this summers Nintendo Direct (E3 may be cancelled but Nintendo still can show off a digital presentation)

O.Stogden

Yeah, I easily spent >100 hours on Wild Worlds. I bought the Wii one in 2010 or so, but only played it for about 10 hours.

New Leaf I did about 50 hours, but didn't quite get into it as much as WW.

Definitely the DS/3DS ones are better than the Gamecube/Wii ones.

New Horizon's is apparently the best in the series, according to a lot of reviews, so I'm looking forward to it. Hopefully be able to check out some cool towns!

O.Stogden

Worried the couch co-op won't be so good, but it could turn out alright, I imagine it'd be good for families. But as it happens I only know 1 other person IRL that likes Animal Crossing, and he already has a Switch and pre-ordered it too, so we'll be playing over a network.

@O.Stogden: What could be wrong with the couch co-op? They've shown it a few times...it's just normal AC with an extra character or two on the screen, and the camera system seems really clever and well done...

O.Stogden

@O.Stogden: What could be wrong with the couch co-op? They've shown it a few times...it's just normal AC with an extra character or two on the screen, and the camera system seems really clever and well done...
It was complained about in some reviews, but I didn't really look into why. Might have been people wanted split-screen, or the ability for the 2nd/3rd/4th player to make progress for themselves, instead of just Player 1. Either way I think it was fairly clear that it's more of a mode for parents/children to play together, or siblings.

@O.Stogden: Ahh, okay. Yeah, that stuff doesn't worry me. If you're playing couch co-op in AC, you're working on the same town together, so the single screen is a non-issue to me.

Game reviewers aren't game developers, either; I've seen plenty of reviewers wish that features were done differently while I thought "no, that'd be even worse, lol."

When I saw AC's co-op stuff, I was like "oh hell yeah, this is exactly how I would've done it," hahah!

O.Stogden

Not really any other way it could be done, it's a nice feature that'll get plenty of use by some I'm sure. I'd have jumped at the chance to play AC on couch co-op growing up.

But like I said, no-one I know likes Animal Crossing except 1 person, so we'll be playing over the internet quite often come Friday! Can't wait. Feel like I missed out on New Leaf as neither me or my friend got into it. We spent far more time on WW. So I'm hoping we'll get hooked on this like we did WW.

I might have to hold off another week unfortunately but I’ll probably get it as it seems to have new features I’ll like. The only other one I played was New Leaf and I quit when one of my favorite villagers just skipped town with no explanation. Guess I’ll try not to get attached to any NPCs this time.

O.Stogden

Well you're an Aussie, you get it like 20 hours before America and 12 hours before Europe anyway. :p

It'd have unlocked 8 hours ago had I bought digital, of which I was asleep nearly all of, I'm fine waiting 5 more hours for a physical copy haha.

O.Stogden

Last day of March, there's 3 of us trying to get a Stringfish.

Wasted about 3 hours so far, not found a single one, pretty ridiculous!

M

Misu

Gotcha! You all have been bamboozled.

But seriously, I want to talk about the upcoming Metroid Prime 4.

The other night I had a dream about playing the game and I was super happy. It had a dark and mysterious vibe just like the first Prime game. The graphics look a little enhanced with shader effects. The place look more like a modernized space station but very dark and empty. After exploring for a few minutes I was already in combat, facing off space pirates that gone beserk. It was already thrill from the start but what made it unforgettable was the intro before starting up the level. It was a revisit of the very first intro from Prime series but in a new setting and atmosphere that was truly remarkable. It touched my heart as I hear the last minute of the intro music (same as the first intro music) as it turned slowly into first person shooter, initiating the game. This piece of art is defined as a tear of joy to all old comers that remember such introduction from Prime 1.
That said, I just now cant wait to see what they might have come up with this new sequel coming.

what things you all hoping to see in this new Metroid Prime game coming up? :)

Last edited:

ElectroMan

Jack of All Shades
A things you all hoping to see in this new Metroid Prime game coming up?
Not sucking. Which given Nintendo's recent entries to the series, is apparently asking a lot.

For some time they just don't get the point of Metroid. A Metroid game is all about dumping you into a world and having you navigate your way around it by your own terms. It's a game that respects you as a player and doesn't spoonfeed you instructions on where to progress. Super Metroid is a Prime (excuse the pun) example where you can only go by background clues and the intuition you've built along the adventure to guide you towards where to go next. I think it's the pinnacle of exploration games, because each new area you "beat" steers you so naturally to the next area your supposed to go, with absolutely no dialogue. I think that's a core essence of a Metroidvania.

Metroid Fusion is a controversial game in this aspect because it doesn't follow these requirements. Even though I do very much enjoy the game, it isn't pure Metroid in its essence because of it. And the less said about Other M the better. But I'm not a nagging pessimist, I'm holding up hope because of the transparency they demonstrated with the development of Metroid Prime 4. It means they are taking this much more seriously.

I love Metroid but sales-wise it's just not profitable for Nintendo. Even though they are some of the most critically acclaimed entries published by Nintendo, their quality just isn't reflected in their sales figures. So this time buy the flippin' game, you butts.

M

Misu

For some time they just don't get the point of Metroid. A Metroid game is all about dumping you into a world and having you navigate your way around it by your own terms. It's a game that respects you as a player and doesn't spoonfeed you instructions on where to progress. Super Metroid is a Prime (excuse the pun) example where you can only go by background clues and the intuition you've built along the adventure to guide you towards where to go next. I think it's the pinnacle of exploration games, because each new area you "beat" steers you so naturally to the next area your supposed to go, with absolutely no dialogue. I think that's a core essence of a Metroidvania.

Metroid Fusion is a controversial game in this aspect because it doesn't follow these requirements. Even though I do very much enjoy the game, it isn't pure Metroid in its essence because of it. And the less said about Other M the better. But I'm not a nagging pessimist, I'm holding up hope because of the transparency they demonstrated with the development of Metroid Prime 4. It means they are taking this much more seriously.
I totally agree about this. This is also something reflected in Prime series (which each gotten worse by sequel). It was slowly transcending from mysterious free-roam suspense adventure to an annoying linear game (Other M being the rock bottom end). My hype for the 4th part mostly comes from hoping for them to revisit what made Prime 1 good in the first place and try to improve what they should have done from there. Even if it may be unlikely, I still hope it would become something that nostalgically was what I used to love.

Also Im tagging @Roa on this one. I would like to know his opinion up to date.

M

Misu

Doable idea?

I dont think a double screen is something to reconsider on an handheld device that also can port to a TV. Although it is a great feature from the previous succesor (3DS) it seems the gimmick would involve a way to experiment another feature perhaps much more interesting. On the other hand, its most likely this to be some way to efficiently share play with another screen.
I dunno

A

amyacker

SSBU = It feels running in mashing buttons is the go to way to win .

MissingNo.

Sure, that works against people who are just as bad as you, but won't get you far against people with a good grasp on the game.
It won't even work against the higher level CPUs, I tried button mashing before in the older smash games and it doesn't pan out well.

Honestly I hear this claim about lots of games and I don't understand why because it's easy enough to debunk. Load up a match against a CPU and try doing it.
In the majority of cases you will get destroyed in any well designed game.

Clearly you've never fought against a Nair spamming Palutena
That isn't what most people mean when they say button mashing, but sure it sounds frustrating.

Clearly you've never fought against a Nair spamming Palutena :mad:
When you know they're going to do it, then it's easy to punish ;)
Personally, as a Ganondorf player, it's much easier to get stuck in those combos(big hitboxes, slow fall speed) so I Nair back and often my kicks have more reach than hers. But spacing it is still a pain.
Now, her side special... that is another story...

Not sucking. Which given Nintendo's recent entries to the series, is apparently asking a lot.

No, it's rose-tinted lenses. Also a sign you're getting old. The "nostalgia" bias is real because memory selects for particularly intense moments. You don't remember bland or otherwise uncharacteristic memories, only those that affected you deeply.
:p

Funny because I never played the Metroid series when I was a kid... I played them all a couple years ago. So nice try mister!
Ironically, that's exactly why I disliked your original "it's just nostalgia!" post.
Half the time someone says "it's just nostalgia!" at me, it's about games I played five to ten years ago, which is why I HATE that argument. Games HAVE changed, Metroid included! :p
"It's just nostalgia" always comes off as super rude and dismissive to me because of that. I know what I like, so I have to assume other people do too, hahah.
Also, I agree with you. We need another Super Metroid tier Metroid game. ;)

You are very much correct that it's the pinnacle of the series, and probably of Metroid type games in general. SotN is the only other Metroidvania that sits near it, to me.

Last edited:

ElectroMan

Jack of All Shades
Yeah fair enough, I don't feel like the "nostalgia" card is any decent argument. But notice that I used it in the context of defending the modern gaming industry against a very generalized sentiment of "games of my youth were better." I was throwing some armchair-psychology to explain why someone might feel that way.

M

Misu

When I started talking about the metroid game in this thread, I was only aiming for what people would love to see in the upcoming game as part of freeing out their imagination and preferences.... but never I would begin a topic with discussing into a political argument towards other users opinions. :p