• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Free Music?

E

ethian

I guess i'm not good at being a musical artist to make music tracks to publish, each fine melody i made, i feel it's actually used, and i can't use it... Well, there were cases when i made music tracks and i discovered the melodies used are already used by other music tracks i heard before, making the music tracks be unpublishable because of copyright reasons.

Instead of downloading music illegally, i always made bad pieces of music for enjoy in free programs to make music, but now i'm sick of it, i need true music.

No, is not music for my game, is music for enjoy through a MP3 player with headphones.

Each time i google "Free music", the results are not the ones i always want, the music i want to enjoy is original music (That doesn't violate copyright laws, mustn't be covers or remixes of affordable music tracks like Undertale remixes on SoundCloud) that is free to download from the original author (I did it, just check out my YouTube channel to know this)...

Do you know an artist that makes original music that is free to download? Besides me?

Sk8dududu

If you're just listening to it and not publishing it why do you care if it's copyright? That's not how copyright laws work.
Also you can't copyright a melody. It's been tried before and it just doesn't work because there is just a limited amount of chords and order they can be placed it. Similarities are fine.

L

Lonewolff

Also you can't copyright a melody. It's been tried before and it just doesn't work because there is just a limited amount of chords and order they can be placed it. Similarities are fine.
Sure can. Can think of a bunch right off the top of my head.

Famous songs who lost, got sued, and are now paying royalties as a result.

Ghostbusters - Ray Parker Jr
Can't touch this - MC Hammer
Land down under - Men at work
Ice Ice Baby - Vanilla Ice

'Land Down Under' was a real hard one for people to swallow as there was a couple of notes that turned up every so often in the song that were similar to part of an Aussie nursery rhyme. The notes weren't even a dominant part or riff of the song.

I could go on, but there are hundreds and hundreds of cases, where a couple of notes cost big time.

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
The Mod Archive probably has more than you'll ever be able to listen to in your life. Not all uploaded tracks are of similar quality and style, but I've found a lot of nice ones there that have been my go-to placeholder tracks for more than a decade now, to the point where I associate some of my own characters or locations with them and can't not mentally hear their "theme" play when I'm working on anything related to them.

E

ethian

No! I am just asking for music tracks that are free to download without problem, a great alternative to download music illegally (Or something else), it's for my MP3 player, not for my game.

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
No! I am just asking for music tracks that are free to download without problem, a great alternative to download music illegally (Or something else), it's for my MP3 player, not for my game.
What's stopping you from listening to any of the tracks from any of the sources listed by everyone who has posted in between the opening post and this post outside of a game? :)

RizbIT

he wants to download and not just watch or stream. in this case search for royalty free music, artists release music that you can downloaded free and even use say in games.

There are several sites where unsigned artists upload tracks that are free to download, here is just one such example:
LooperMan
Also lots of free tracks on SoundCloud

Some tracks that have download options the artist has given permission to download the track, in some cases you may have to signup or make a comment etc... to download the track for free

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
he wants to download and not just watch or stream. in this case search for royalty free music, artists release music that you can downloaded free and even use say in games.
And what's stopping him from downloading any of the music from any of the sites that were linked before that post? :p

M

Misu

I think what really is going on is that Ethian can't afford not even a 1 cent resource because he is still a kid without a job and wants to still do what he loves best but in quality.
Well to be honest, not anything in life is free but you can make the best of it by searching good enough for free resources online. There are several types you can look for and I believe Common Creative rights are legit anyway.

Normally I suck at making music so I can't make any. However, I simply cheat by using AI composers online. Music AI is alright but they sound a bit odd sometimes. The best AI composer I knew was JukeDeck but they took down the access so no one knows how to make music in it anymore.

I recently stumbled upon AIVA which is similar to JukeDeck but with a weirder setup. It automatically creates excellent music for me and it's free but it's still in beta and signing up for it requires waiting for a ton.

E

ethian

I guess you're confunding with royality-free music for my game...
I repeat again! It's for my MP3 player, not for my game...

Wait!... free music for my game also counts as legal and original free music for my MP3 player?

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
I guess you're confunding with royality-free music for my game...
I repeat again! It's for my MP3 player, not for my game...

Wait!... free music for my game also counts as legal and original free music for my MP3 player?
I repeat again as well - what is stopping you from downloading audio from any of the sources you have been informed about so far and listening to it? Nothing.

E

ethian

what is stopping you from downloading audio from any of the sources you have been informed about so far and listening to it? Nothing
Sorry, i was very busy with my music tracks, but i'm gotta listen to them when i am on break for some reason...

Other thing that stopped me to download free music as i requested is that most websites requiere login to download... that makes me blush but... how bad is that...? I will do anyways... someday...

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
Sorry, i was very busy with my music tracks, but i'm gotta listen to them when i am on break for some reason...

Other thing that stopped me to download free music as i requested is that most websites requiere login to download... that makes me blush but... how bad is that...? I will do anyways... someday...
If that is your biggest concern, you are blessed. I wish I could be so carefree.

I would normally add my typical portion of sass with a corny joke here, but that's nothing short of the most ridiculous cop-out I've heard in months now.

On top of that, from what I can tell, no more than one site that has been mentioned requires logging in to download anything.