• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Discussion Jumbled Up Instance ID in Properties

Well I can't make an error report about this (I guess), since there's no error message to explain what caused it on my end. Am just wondering if you guys have experience this issue too with the IDE v.2.2.2.413 Runtime v.2.2.2.326 (Steam & Standalone) and maybe knows why? The issue sometimes gone after a few close and relaunch for me. Doesn't really effect my progress, but is annoying nonetheless.

This when it's not jumbled:

Last edited:

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Hi there! I haven't seen anything like that before so really can't say what could be up. You CAN file a bug report though, including those images and any more information about how to reproduce the error (if possible) or details about when it happens etc... Including a link to download the project showing the issue would be great too, and maybe include the ui.log file in case it contains information that can help the devs (you can find it in %programdata%/GameMakerStudio2).

That's odd. Anyway;

How/When it happen?

It happens at random - no pattern or clear tendencies. Simply launching the IDE, load the project I'm working, and it'd load to result as either image 1 or image 2 at random. In the case of it ending up as image 1; to resolve it, all I needed to do is close the IDE, relaunch the IDE, and then reload the project. Sometimes it requires more than one reload to solve it. When it ended up as image 1, I can still work on my project just fine, no lag nothing - just the annoyance of not being able to see the ID names in all the instance layers of my project - and by the way the jumbled up text is not limited to 1 room, it's to all the rooms within the project.

I did some test (launch IDE - load project - close IDE), and I noticed that whenever the issue occurred, these shows up on the ui.log;
[19:09:11:729(0a9f)] Caught exception for gadget of type 'window' and style 'window'- Error: An anchor or dimension has been set to percentage with no parent gadget, try using pixel instead
[19:09:12:137(0a9f)] Caught exception for gadget of type 'window' and style 'layer_view_window'- Error: An anchor or dimension has been set to percentage with no parent gadget, try using pixel instead
[19:09:12:146(0a9f)] Caught exception for gadget of type 'window' and style 'layer_properties_window'- Error: An anchor or dimension has been set to percentage with no parent gadget, try using pixel instead
I'm not sure if I will want to send over the project I'm working on, since it's close to completion and almost ready for release. But if just the ui.log, is fine. But I can assure that whenever I do a test run on the project as Windows - Local, there's so far no Syntax Errors message, no Compile Errors message, nor anything to suggest any issue in the Output. The game I'm working on revolves around the use of ds_grid. And I do not use "layer_view_window", or "layer_properties_window" in my project scripts.

Anyway, I'll make a formal bug report with the ui.log to support, but probably not with the project file.

Thanks.

Yizzard

This is also happening to me, except it doesn't seem to be going away after restarting the IDE (unless I just keep getting unlucky and keep on happening to get the broken image). It's been going on for me for the past ~2-3 days or so.

In my case, at least after one or a couple of relaunches of the IDE could resolve it. It doesn't cause any visible side effects in term of performance, just the annoyance of unable to identify the instance ID (name). But yes, this issue only happens recently, so I doubt it has anything to do with the project which I've been working on for the past 3-4 months. Anyway, I've submitted a bug report with the screenshots, ui.log, and refer the support staff to this topic. Likely this issue will be classified as a minor issue with low priority, because it is - since it's only visual annoyance. :p

Does choosing Layouts > Reset Layout, and then reopening the room from the Resource Tree fix it?
I just did what you suggested. Had to relaunch several times to "deliberately" trigger the mess. Then I do what you suggested, and yes, doing that solves it without needing to close IDE. But the issue would again reoccur after a couple of relaunches (to see if it will still trigger the mess).

Here's part of the ui.log report (where the issue is like mentioned in my earlier post, and what it says post doing what you suggested) Note: sorry some detail had to be censored:
[09:17:19:690(8339)] Caught exception for gadget of type 'window' and style 'window'- Error: An anchor or dimension has been set to percentage with no parent gadget, try using pixel instead
[09:17:31:432(8339)] Caught exception for gadget of type 'window' and style 'layer_view_window'- Error: An anchor or dimension has been set to percentage with no parent gadget, try using pixel instead
[09:17:31:463(8339)] Caught exception for gadget of type 'window' and style 'layer_properties_window'- Error: An anchor or dimension has been set to percentage with no parent gadget, try using pixel instead
[09:17:31:576(8339)] Caught exception for gadget of type 'window' and style 'room_properties_window'- Error: An anchor or dimension has been set to percentage with no parent gadget, try using pixel instead
[09:17:48:523(8339)] Suspend: Suspended = 1 for watcher 'D:\PROJECT FOLDER GameMaker Studio 2\Project Folder\Production\ censored'
[09:24:08:154(8339)] ResumeThread: Suspended = 0 for watcher 'D:\PROJECT FOLDER GameMaker Studio 2\Project Folder\Production\censored'
[09:24:15:19(8339)] Saving project layout to: C:\Users\censored\AppData\Roaming/GameMakerStudio2\censored\Layouts\censored\censored\censored.xml
[09:24:15:58(8339)] ResourceManager resources have been cleared <-- this must be the point when I did as what you suggested
[09:24:15:296(8339)] starting cmd /c subst Z: "C:\Users\censored\AppData\Local\GameMakerStudio2\GMS2TEMP"
[09:24:15:752(8339)] elapsed time 00:00:00.4562686s for command "cmd" /c subst Z: "C:\Users\censored\AppData\Local\GameMakerStudio2\GMS2TEMP" started at 06/01/2019 09:24:15
[09:24:15:758(8339)] Deleting temp directory Z:/
[09:24:15:760(8339)] starting cmd /c subst Z: /d
[09:24:16:209(8339)] elapsed time 00:00:00.4482811s for command "cmd" /c subst Z: /d started at 06/01/2019 09:24:15
[09:24:16:303(8339)] Discarding document Output

Last edited:

Joe Ellis

They'll end up fixing it at some point, hopefully soon, that being said, I still work with an annoying bug in 1.4 where if you rename a script it sometimes renames the previous script you were editing instead, but I got used to it and always notice when that happens now, but filing a bug report will def help to get it sorted sooner, in fairness to them, it depends how low\high level the source of the bug is, if it's something really deep it could take ages to find it

@Dan ,
If you happen to see this topic. I made a new bug report - ticket number #158687 with the same project file you've asked via email regarding the above bug report (ticket number #158374). I enclosed the project file with that report. I put an end note in that report so that whomever was assigned to it, forward a copy to you.

Anyway, I test the project on the latest BETA IDE 2.2.3.425 Runtime 2.2.3.337, and so far it seems the bug issue might have been fixed by it. I tried several times to trigger the messed up Instance ID, so far it's no longer showing. It still does on the IDE version I reported. So you might want to compare between the 2 IDEs/Runtime.

Thanks

Last edited: