GameMaker Online Multiplayer?

M

MoncefFennich DZDev

I was looking at Youtube for how to make online multiplayer but I only found the LAN for networking.
But I'm not sure there's an online network, There are Local & Bluetooth.
Is there really? So How?

Binsk

If you are asking these questions then you aren't ready to make online multiplayer.

Whether you just need match making or an actual hosted instance that keeps players synced you will need a dedicated server and server-side programming knowledge.

Even aside from all this, you still need to know how to make a LAN match and keep people synced (which is hard enough) as you will still require those concepts to make online multiplayer.

Pfap

I was looking at Youtube for how to make online multiplayer but I only found the LAN for networking.
But I'm not sure there's an online network, There are LAN & Bluetooth.
Is there really? So How?
The LAN tutorials aren't a bad place to start. I would also recommend getting a raspberry pi and learning how to connect it to your local network and then port forward from your routers interface and using that as a server, so you can play around with stuff other than the loopback address. Also, it's kind of satisfying once you have a server setup... even if it is just a raspberry pi.

M

MoncefFennich DZDev

Even aside from all this, you still need to know how to make a LAN match and keep people synced (which is hard enough) as you will still require those concepts to make online multiplayer.
So That Mean I Have To Know LAN Programing Before Online?

Last edited by a moderator:

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
So That Mean I Have To Know LAN Programing Before Online?
I Didn't Understand Your First Question
It just means you have to know how to walk before trying to run.

And Binsk didn't ask you any questions. He only said 3 things:
  • You asked a very basic question that shows how unready and unskilled you are.
  • Even LAN games have a server-side component, so you can and should start there first.
  • Everything you learn from developing a LAN game will eventually be applied on a online game.
Now get started on the LAN tutorials that you wrongfully disregarded, and don't speak up again about making an online game until you have mastered LAN game development. When you skip steps and then need to be bailed out, you are wasting your time just as much as you are wasting ours.