Android Vector Sector

woodsmoke

I finally managed to set up GameMaker to export to Android (3rd times's a charm). I have a few games suitable for touch screen control and have been waiting to port them to mobile for so long. Here's the first one!

VECTOR SECTOR

This game is perfect for mobile with it's 1-button tap controls. Go get your screen dirty as you demonstrate your reflex and estimation skills. You will also be defending the ball from the random occurrences.

Inspired by the lights of pinball machines that you can switch so that the ball activates a bonus.

google play https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.woodsmoke.Vector_Sector

itch.io (APK file) https://woodsmoke.itch.io/vector-sector

Last edited:
M

mamacato

I tried it.

Had a few go at it. It's hard. Not even sure of the pattern at the moment. Maybe a bit of randomized deflections. I really like the game, and when I'm chilling with people, I'll pass them my phone for them to try. A nice mind boggle. Well done!

Clapclapclapclapclap

Attachments

woodsmoke

Thanks for playing and the valuable feedback. Yes it seems that the game is hard, too hard for a lot of people. But I like challenging games that don't pat you on the pack all the time. Experienced gamers usually get about 30 points high score, others give up quickly. The red vectors are random, but when you first start the game the red vectors always appear in the same places.

eimie

I tried your game and actually like it! :)

The gameplay is simple and addictive. Graphics and sound fit perfectly with the gameplay.

I would consider to make the controls of the paddles a little bit more predicttable. If there were only two instead of three positions on every side or if they would move for example clockwise around the field, the game would be more intuitive. But that's your personal choice as a designer. As said before: I like it as it is!

But unfortunaltely I was faced with two serious bugs:
  • First of all, the game crashes sometimes after failure. In my case (Motorola Moto G3) this happens even relatively often. Maybe every 5th to 10th time. For me, that's not really a downer, because I can restart the game easy again. But I'm pretty sure you don't want to have this bug in your game. I sent you a report.
  • The second bug is (for me) a little bit more annoying: for some reason, the game started to flicker after the start of a round. I get a lot of score (62 points) and lost the game. Then I had a highscore of 62, what was far away from my personal best, and had to reset it by deleting the game data manually in my phone settings.

woodsmoke

Hi eimie, thank you for the post.

Only two instead of three positions could be interesting, I think I might explore that idea. Originally I was inspired by that sub-game in pinball where the ball randomly falls through one of three openings and you control the lights to make them all light up. That's why there are three. And more positions would not be fun. Three options seemed perfect gameplay-wise (no tap, one tap or double tap)

The clockwise rotation sounds good, but the more the ball goes into a corner the more impossible it is to switch fast enough. See here:

I guess I could put the blues together, but that would just make big double walls that create more possible positions that need to be switched.​

Damn it sucks that the game crashes on your Phone. I've tried it on three devices and can't remember any crashing. Honestly I'm very unexperienced with mobile gamedev, and I couldn't find out what the problem is. Here are the crash logs in case you are interested:

*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** pid: 0, tid: 0 >>> com.woodsmoke.Vector_Sector <<< backtrace:

#00 pc 00000000000bedc4 /data/app/com.woodsmoke.Vector_Sector-1/lib/arm/libyoyo.so (_ZN17CSkeletonInstance18ComputeBoundingBoxEP9tagYYRECTifffff+28)

#01 pc 0000000000195304 /data/app/com.woodsmoke.Vector_Sector-1/lib/arm/libyoyo.so (_ZN9CInstance18Collision_SkeletonEPS_b+112)

#02 pc 0000000000195634 /data/app/com.woodsmoke.Vector_Sector-1/lib/arm/libyoyo.so (_ZN9CInstance18Collision_InstanceEPS_b+220)

#03 pc 00000000001cc63c /data/app/com.woodsmoke.Vector_Sector-1/lib/arm/libyoyo.so (_Z15HandleCollisionv+316)

#04 pc 00000000001d35fc /data/app/com.woodsmoke.Vector_Sector-1/lib/arm/libyoyo.so (_Z7DoAStepv+828)

#05 pc 00000000001d4afc /data/app/com.woodsmoke.Vector_Sector-1/lib/arm/libyoyo.so (_Z16MainLoop_Processv+900)

#06 pc 0000000000294768 /data/app/com.woodsmoke.Vector_Sector-1/lib/arm/libyoyo.so (Java_com_yoyogames_runner_RunnerJNILib_Process+592)

#07 pc 00000000003fae73 /data/app/com.woodsmoke.Vector_Sector-1/oat/arm/base.odex

#2 (got this one twice)
*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** pid: 0, tid: 0 >>> com.woodsmoke.Vector_Sector <<< backtrace:

#00 pc 00000000000beda8 /data/app/com.woodsmoke.Vector_Sector-1/lib/arm/libyoyo.so (_ZN17CSkeletonInstance18ComputeBoundingBoxEP9tagYYRECTifffff)

#01 pc 00000000426ffffc <unknown>

@mamacato You need to pump those numbers up__Those are rookie numbers.jpg :cool:
;)

Please consider rating the game. Someone (out of three) gave me 1 one star review. :(

Last edited:

woodsmoke

I would consider to make the controls of the paddles a little bit more predicttable. If there were only two instead of three positions on every side or ...
Only two instead of three positions could be interesting, I think I might explore that idea.
It's happening! I'm exploring the idea now for the current GMC Game Jam.
Thanks!

It will be called Reflector Sector, and is also coming to mobile too.

Last edited:

eimie

Great! :)

Btw: I rated Vector Sector and also discovered your other two mobile games a few days ago. Well... Flex Armstrong is genius :cool: