Found a bug? "buffer_outofspace" not set before reading...

Been trying to debug strange buffer behaviour, and came across this gem...

Code:
Variable sys.buffer_outofspace(100003, -2147483648) not set before reading it.
 at gml_Script_buffer_get_u8 (line 19) -        case buffer_outofspace: case buffer_outofbounds: case buffer_invalidtype:
These are supposed to be constants, according to the Docs. Debugging buffers is proving to be quite the headache :confused:

Without seeing any of your code, it will be almost impossible to help you. Show us the contents of the script that is throwing the error.
Ugh, this is such a frustrating knee-jerk reaction. The attached code is more than enough to show how using a switch case, I was testing for 'buffer_outofspace', and GM considered this a variable I hadn't set yet, rather than a constant it already knows.

The rest of that code is literally just me checking the results of 'buffer_write', with nothing further substantial to add. I appreciate the intentions, BaBiA, but it seems pretty straightforward to me - unless someone knows something about the buffer error constants that I don't.

Ugh, this is such a frustrating knee-jerk reaction. The attached code is more than enough to show how using a switch case, I was testing for 'buffer_outofspace', and GM considered this a variable I hadn't set yet, rather than a constant it already knows.

The rest of that code is literally just me checking the results of 'buffer_write', with nothing further substantial to add. I appreciate the intentions, BaBiA, but it seems pretty straightforward to me - unless someone knows something about the buffer error constants that I don't.
Sorry that you think that someone wanting more information from you is a "frustrating knee-jerk reaction", considering it is in fact in the forum guidelines that you should be providing as much as possible (and just the error message is not normally enough to go on). I won't bother attempting to help in the future then, and you'll just have to wait and see if anyone else is able to without any of your script being present in your request (other than the partial line that is visible in the error message).

It would have taken you less time to post your script than have a go at me for wanting to see more info before I was going to attempt to help.

See ya.

... it is in fact in the forum guidelines that you should be providing as much as possible (and just the error message is not normally enough to go on).
I appreciate that, but in this instance, it should be more than enough. I'm not going to bombard everyone with the maximum possible amount of code, because it's unnecessary and irrelevant. This type of thing is a knee-jerk reaction because rather than sharing your thoughts, stating what you know, and suggesting that more may be behind the surface, the first thing you (and so many others) come out with, is "need moar". I just don't see how it's "impossible" to help me with what I've provided.

Anyway, thanks for having a go, I guess.

GMWolf

aka fel666
Curious. Are you using VM or YYC? Does it happen in both?
Have you cleared the cache?
And yeah what version are you using?
I feel like this is a fairly recent addition.

Hey, I've got nothing wrong with providing more information, I just get frustrated with the copy paste complaints o_O Anyways.

IDE: 2.2.2.413
Runtime: 2.2.2.326
Target: VM (I haven't got Visual Studio set up so haven't tested on YYC).
I ran the Clean tool, if that's what you mean by clearing the cache.

If I check any of the buffer constants 'invalidtype', 'outofspace', etc., by way of (buffer_invalidtype==1) or a switch statement, it returns an error. Could it be a data type issue? Is it trying to point to something, like 'NULL' in C?

GMWolf

aka fel666
Or maybe that feature isn't a thing yet (the return values that is). I never used it myself. And it's the first time I've seen it in the docs.
Could it be a feature that hasn't yet been implemented?

H

Homunculus

Just tested, same version, OSX VM, looks like a bug to me as well. As GMWolf I never heard of those constants before, but couldn’t find any info on their release date. Could be a very recent addition.

You should file a bug on the issue tracker

Thanks guys, will do!

I was just trying out using it, as I thought the extra buffer error catching could come in useful. So far, not so much :p