Discussion Playdate - The Console With A Hand Crank

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Soooo.... this has been announced:

https://www.dailydot.com/parsec/playdate-hand-crank/

I really don't quite know what to think of it! I mean, I kinda wish the hand crank actually powered the thing, as that would make it ideal for poorer countries or for camping and travel, etc... as no batteries included or needed, BUT according to the developers it's "a flip-out rotational controller that puts a fresh spin on fun. Some games use it exclusively, some use it with the d-pad, and some not at all."

So it's a gimmick.

That's it.

And, tbh, I can't see what's going to be "fun" about spinning a crank!

Opinions?

Last edited:
Reactions: Roa

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
I can't see what's going to be "fun" about spinning a crank!
I agree. Although I suppose it depends what the crank controls. The GIF from the page you linked shows the crank apparently controlling forward / backward motion (to avoid a ball of some sort).

Personally, I'd rather use arrow keys for this action. I suspect different actions can be mapped to the crank (up / down, speed, clicks, etc.). Seems more gimmicky than useful, but who knows?

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Seems more gimmicky than useful, but who knows?
Yeah, that's my take on it... I mean, okay, some of the games actually look okay, and they seem to have a lot of devs on board to make it work, but I feel it's a missed opportunity. I really would have been more excited if the crank actually powered the thing.

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
I really would have been more excited if the crank actually powered the thing.
I'm sure at least one game dev will use the crank that way. Figuratively, of course. The game could be named "Off the Grid", and players must turn the crank continuously, while the other hand controls the buttons.

Or... how about a game for young couples? The girl turns the handle while the guy tries to push buttons. Actually, I think I've played that before. ;)

Pocket fishing console for public transit?

ooooo or no batteries! You hand crank it! And you can hand crank to charge your phone on the go with a USB port in the bottom? And possibly play games from your phone on the console with the USB connection? No clue if there is a USB connection, just wild speculation.

Roa

Not enough buttons and the crank is sub-optimal for anything. Also given this thing comes in at a 150 dollar price tag with no real development options, I've already lost all interest.
I'm not exactly sure who this is for....

you can buy a used GBA with better games, more power, more hackability for 20 bucks

I'm not exactly sure who this is for....
Hipsters.
  • Console developer from Portland, OR
  • Console developer has ties to Firewatch studio, Campo Santo
  • Priced so that only hipsters with upper-middle-class income can justify the cost
  • Confirmed game devs for this system are all indie darlings

Last edited:

Jabbers

I admire projects like this, but I also can't see it being more than a footnote among the ever-growing list of niche consoles that mainstream consumers will never embrace. It's cool if you're into quirky tech I suppose, but if you remove that novelty crank, what are you left with? Nothing special. Maybe it'll form a cult following of home-brew game makers?

flerpyderp

The common reaction to this has unsurprisingly been mostly bewilderment, but is anyone else struggling to imagine using this thing comfortably? First of all, I can't imagine how rotating a little crank is going to deliver any level of enjoyment, but think about actually holding this thing in front of you, awkwardly in your left hand, with your thumb I guess somewhere in that little space between the top left of the d-pad and the screen, and trying to hold it still while spinning the crank with your right hand.

But imagine a Grand Theft Auto set in the days of the Model T, where you have to crank your console to simulate crank-starting your vehicle. Come on, people! Let's get on board with this!

(Yeah, I don't get this either...)

I actually think it's pretty cool, but the price tag killed it for me. I feel a little bad about that, because the build quality is probably great, and it's probably a small run production, so I don't think they're ripping anyone off... the value just isn't there for me. It's a Gimmick, but who cares? Fun is fun. I could make some interesting games with a crank. They apparently have some good devs, so seeing what they come up with once a week or whatever would be fun.

But the cost is too high for me to justify it, personally. If it was like $40-$60, I'd seriously be interested. At $150, I'll save for an extra day and buy another Switch...

M

Misty

What a joke. Glad to see we have fresh comedy after that Soulja boy thing got cancelled.

MilkMan5x

Thought that crank could charge your portable entertainer
But nah it's just for game mechanics... If they added the functionality to charge up the thing then I might think about getting it
Otherwise it's a bold no for me

SamuelSousa

Would love to export something made with GMK onto this little system.

This idea would be cool for the Pico-8 digital cartridges.

S

Sam (Deleted User)

You will have to find out on google or something. I've been told not to talk about it in this kind of context. Not sure if what I said as it is probably wasn't a good idea.

I have mixed feelings because I want to tell you but I want to respect what I've been asked.

TERNOX

You will have to find out on google or something. I've been told not to talk about it in this kind of context. Not sure if what I said as it is probably wasn't a good idea.

I have mixed feelings because I want to tell you but I want to respect what I've been asked.
You are so mysterious, as if you already know something...

It actually wasn't a bad idea, even if it was some kind of limited export. YYC compiles in C, so technically porting from Gamemaker to PlayDate is possible?