• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Android Setting up a server for android App

Jihl

Hey there!

I am going to create an Android App which will communicate with a server using GM Networking system. My question is:
Is there a problem if I make 2 projects, one for the android app and the other one (desktop windows) to be run in a virtual machine that will hold the server? Would the mobile application communicate exactly as it were two desktop applications?

Thanks!

Mert

The short answer is yes. They'll communicate with each other, no worries.

But, since Game Maker executables are single-threaded applications, you might get a huge performance issues. Also they use Direct3D or OpenGL(ES) and it means that you will need a video card in your server.

Jihl

The short answer is yes. They'll communicate with each other, no worries.

But, since Game Maker executables are single-threaded applications, you might get a huge performance issues. Also they use Direct3D or OpenGL(ES) and it means that you will need a video card in your server.
Thanks for your reply! The video card requirement is something I was not aware of