Our Last Hour [ Zeltroidvania ]

Gravedust

[Gravedust - Code/Art/SFX][ Micah_DS - Music]

Our Last Hour is a short and sweet Zeltroidvania where you have one hour to fight for the soul of your friend.

The one-hour time limit is the driving force behind exploring the ancient Fortress Crypt you find yourself in, and mastering the use of the artifacts found within in order to reach your goal.

The layout of the world and item locations are revealed from the very start, but it's up to you to find your way through the maze and decide what you should spend your precious time collecting. More items, health and abilities may make your journey easier, but getting them will run down the clock down further ...

All progress is automatically saved, so each decision you make is final, whether it brings you closer to failure or success.

==========================================
DOWNLOAD HERE! [40.5Mb][WINDOWS/7/8/10]
==========================================

*Windows 9 not supported, sorry. ;)
NOTE: This game may not detect mouse position properly if your screen resolution is not 1920x1080. (Looking to fix this in the future)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FEEDBACK DESPERATELY NEEDED!! --------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Due to the timed nature of this game, it is vital that map design and item placement work in the way that is intended. No two players are alike, so this project needs an especially broad sample of play experiences so it can be better tuned to work well for the widest array of players. PLEASE LEAVE FEEDBACK!

Perhaps more importantly, THIS PROJECT IS POWERED BY YOUR ENTHUSIASM!
This game is being developed essentially out of the hope that people will enjoy it. If it's worth your time to play it, it's worth our time to keep building. So please, if you like it, LET US KNOW. It really puts more steam in the boilers, and will help keep this prioritized on top of other projects waiting in the wings.

CURRENT FEATURES -------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Exploration]
Delve deep into the depths of the Fortress Crypt, a trap-filled labyrinth prison for corrupted and abandoned souls.

[Short and sweet]
Playthroughs should take around one hour start to finish.

[Drop in / drop out]
Quit and resume the game at any time. The game and timer will resume right where you left off.

[Original Soundtrack]
Courtesy of Micah_DS.

[Integrated Map & Inventory]
Changing equipment and using items is part of the action.

[Multiple endings]
From sweet victory to bitter failure or quiet resignation.

[Creative combat]
Brute force will get the job done, but clever use of your abilities can make quicker work of your foes.

..and combining abilities can also have some interesting results.

=============================
MORE GAMEPLAY .GIFS and VIDEO

Older gameplay vid, graciously recorded by Micah_DS. Includes many of the music tracks.
=============================

FUTURE FEATURES ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Improved Art and sound]
New/more sprites, especially level decoration and architecture, as well as unique art for each ending. ...and finally everything will have sound. ;)

[Additional music]
Hopefully!

[Additional Enemies]
A few tweaked variants on the current bad guys, to fill in some gaps in gameplay.

[Reworked map design]
Some changes have already been planned but are not yet implemented, as they will mean tearing apart a lot of what has already been built. But after feedback, there should be a much clearer idea of what the next map iteration should look like, and then it can be reworked from the ground up.

[Story/history improvements]
Additional tidbits about the Fortress Crypt, the world that created it, and it's history may become scattered around the map in the future, as well as more about the 3rd character in the story.

FEEDBACK ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As mentioned, feedback is crucial to this project. Please take a little time to share your experience with the game so we can make it better for future players (or you, if you came back for a later version. ;) )

If you have access to recording software, the absolute most helpful thing would be to send a video of your first playthrough.

Aside from that, each time you reach an ending, the game will automatically create a small text file that contains information such as your ending, time, what rooms you visited, and what items you picked up.
There are instructions included in the README file that explain how to access it.

If you cannot access the playtest log, the ending and ending time will also be displayed on the end screen after reaching an ending. Reporting those would be helpful.

You are also very welcome to add any thoughts you had about the game, especially the following:

• Do you feel there was anything that you didn't understand about the game, controls, or about the abilities and/or how they could be used?

• Are there any areas where you were unsure of where to go next, or otherwise found yourself stuck in?

• Did you find any areas to be too difficult or frustrating?

• Were there any areas, Orbs or items that you particularly enjoyed?

THANKS! -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you very much for checking in with this thread, I hope you play enjoy the game!

Last edited:

Micah_DS

It's so great to see that it's finally to this point! Though my part has just been the music side of things, I've loved working with Gravedust on this, and I look forward to finishing well.
Whether the game gets much attention or not, I'm thankful and happy that I got the chance to work on this.

@Gravedust BTW though, the blue text in the OP is a bit harder on the eyes to read for me than the default off-white color (I'm using the Dark Skin theme). Any reason you decided to color all the text?

[Additional music]
Hopefully!
Yep, this is the plan! :)

On the topic of music, any praises/criticisms are appreciated.
Coming from a mostly rock and EDM background, I had to develop my compositional skills in a new area for this. It's been a learning process that I've thoroughly enjoyed, but my lack of experience in the genre may show a bit.

This is looking pretty great. Music is very nice, well done. The compositions are good, did notice a track or two where the piano was a bit bright but that could just be that they didn't have any low end instruments accompanying them which is fine. All still sounded great.
All the art looks great too, nice UI and effects to go with the sprites.

Gravedust

BTW though, the blue text in the OP is a bit harder on the eyes to read for me than the default off-white color (I'm using the Dark Skin theme). Any reason you decided to color all the text?.
I don't l know what you're talking about. ;)

Actually it was because I felt like being fancy and matching the colors in the .gifs (and the game in general) but if that effects legibility then it's not worth it.

R

Red Phantom

Congratulations! Your game got chosen for a video review. I give feedback and my thoughts on the game in the review. Also just giving your game a bit of hype and love in general.

Do you feel there was anything that you didn't understand about the game, controls, or about the abilities and/or how they could be used?
No.

• Are there any areas where you were unsure of where to go next, or otherwise found yourself stuck in?
No.

No.

Yes I actually liked most the orbs.
I liked all the areas and items.

Gravedust

Congratulations! Your game got chosen for a video review. I give feedback and my thoughts on the game in the review. Also just giving your game a bit of hype and love in general.
Wow, thanks so much for the review! Very glad to hear you enjoyed playing the game. :)
Progress is continuing, albeit somewhat slowly as I have one other project on the main burner, and have gone backwards a bit with OLH to refactor some aspects of the AI and enemy navigation.

But plans for the future include adding some additional traps and obstacles and one or two new types of enemies and behaviors for them, some minor reworking of the levels to ease up some places where people tend to hit snags, and substantially rework the last big area. In addition I intend to improve some of the existing sound and visual effects a little, and hopefully we will have a few more music tracks to throw into the mix, to cover the menu, and the endings.
Speaking of which, I do intend to improve the endings of the game with at least some hand-drawn images depicting the events involved.

But again, thank you very much for the review and feedback, it really is invaluable. :)

Toque

Do you feel there was anything that you didn't understand about the game, controls, or about the abilities and/or how they could be used?
No.

No.

No.

Yes I actually liked most the orbs.
I liked all the areas and items.
Nice review. I think consistent structure in your reviews is a good idea.