Released The Last Librarian: Legend Quest [Adventure]

Yes. There is an option of course for arrow keys, but I would not recommend it any more than I would recommend playing Hollow Knight with the arrow keys.

Yes. There is an option of course for arrow keys, but I would not recommend it any more than I would recommend playing Hollow Knight with the arrow keys.
You have to understand the point YanBG is making, though. There are some PC gamers that are EXTREMELY elitist and honestly believe KB+M to be the superior method of control in all games. You've probably played on a controller since you were young, and they've played on a keyboard for just as long. They are still potential customers. To be perfectly honest, in most cases they're not objectively wrong; especially if a game requires simultaneous precise inputs and doesn't utilize analog control. This includes Hollow Knight and even more complex games like Dustforce DX. If you change the wording from "gamepad highly recommended" to "gamepads are fully supported" you use inclusive language rather than exclusive to remove any negative connotations while still getting your point across.

I'd use "gamepad strongly recommended" in my game, because I strongly recommend it. Nacho's advice is smart though - better to use the more inclusive language for a demo, hahah.

Last edited:
Last Week of Kickstarter
The Kickstarter campaign has one week from today remaining to raise the funds we need! Even if we don't make it, I still want to gain as much support as possible while the campaign is running, to help build a community/audience around the game in the long-run. So, if you haven't check it out yet, make sure to take a look!

Project Link: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cloakedgames/the-last-librarian-action-adventure-rpg

In other news, I've been working on Seroth's Tomb, which is a procedurally generated mini-dungeon. It's a simple maze really, but I'm trying to get as much variation in enemy encounters, traps, and even basic puzzles as I can. As the game develops I can add new elements continually. I wouldn't say that Seroth's Tomb is a proper dungeon, but it is a cool challenge, and a fun randomized element to work into an otherwise hand-crafted game. (In addition, it is the start of a larger exploration of Procedural Generated Content that I hope to advance a lot as I continue making games).

Many of you stopped by the stream last weekend when I initially started working on it. That was great fun, and I really appreciate everyone who showed up! But for those who didn't, here is a link to a video of the Tomb in the game: https://twitter.com/CloakedGamesDev/status/1041037131357933569. There's a lot of stuff that can happen that you don't see in that clip, and I can't wait to see people play it themselves. Another thing I'll bring up is that most of that terrain generation was actually done using my asset for PGC: Jen_scripts, so take a look at that if you want an easy way to make varied terrain. (https://marketplace.yoyogames.com/assets/6835/jen_scripts-terrain)

Thanks to all the support so far!

Update (9/23) -
Time for the post-Kickstarter update! The campaign ended yesterday, and unfortunately we did not meet the goal. That is not the end of The Last Librarian by any means however. We gained an impressive amount of support, and a huge amount of that came from this very forum, reminding me again why I love this Gamemaker community so much. You are all so supportive, and I think this community of developers is one of the best ever.

I am still working on The Last Librarian, and hope to release a complete game around the same time, near the end of the year in 2019. I am very passionate about the project, and definitely still want to share my vision of the project with the world, and the many generous people who are already supporting me.

However, the reality is that without funds, the final project will need to have a smaller scope. I have some creative ideas for how to make the game smaller while maintaining the spirit of the epic adventure that is The Last Librarian. I have a full game redesign I am working on (including a new map, new progression structure, modified story, among other things). I will share details on that in the future, but for now just look forward to seeing what The Last Librarian can become. I'm actually really excited to show what I have in mind, even if it wasn't quite what I planned from the beginning. Plans change, that is part of making a video game.

In addition, with the new direction of this project, I want to take the opportunity to more heavily involve the community in the development process. I have decided that all future builds of the game, from now until completion will be available to download and play. Save files transfer between versions, so you can play each new piece of the game as it comes out, if you'd like. I want your feedback throughout development, so I can really fine-tune the experience and make a game that really lives up to my goals. The next major public demo will be ready sometime this December. I need some time to fully implement the redesign before I share another version.

I really appreciate your support on the Kickstarter campaign and going forward. It's my dream to become a game designer as a career, and this project is my first step towards that. If you're interested in getting involved with the development of The Last Librarian, the best thing as always is to join the discord server to chat about the game. In addition, I have built an emailing list if you prefer getting updates that way. Join the group to receive emails about each new update and other significant events. Links below:

I will post updates on the forum here and on Twitter as well. Thanks!

"For what purpose did we start this war? Why do we end it this way? Alas, I fear we had no purpose for these actions, and all that remains is the consequences." - Excerpt from the Plains War Journals, Page 45

H

harambe1

I think your game is gonna go places, but its gonna need some graphics, specially with the kick starter campaign. I don't think you have to go with higher resolution for this one, low resolution with better pixel art is the key for the type of game you are going for I think. You have also quickly implemented a lot of things but I suggest working on the combat system early on because it is basically what will drive the game and will be shown mostly in the trailers. Overall I think the game is pretty cool, I hope it gets funded! :D But hey, Im just poppy harlow im not supposed to give my own opinion

T

Typhon

The screenshots look really nice. I don't know if I will have time to try playing it but I hope the game goes well for you. It's definitely a really good game.

Update (10/7) -
After a little bit of design work, and thinking and reflecting, I believe I have established the full plan for The Last Librarian going forward. I want to share it here just to keep you all in the loop.

Considering I have less time now to work on the project, part of my focus was to lower the scope of the project so that completing it will be more manageable. In that, I was especially conscious of my design goals for this project: how can I make the game smaller while retaining the epic fantasy aspects that I want for it? As you might know my design pillars were The Spirit of Adventure, Story, Openworld Design, and Progression. From here on out, I've combined Openworld Design and Progression into one design pillar: Connected Progression.

Instead of being fully open world like my original plan, The Last Librarian will be designed as a tightly connected puzzle box. You can still explore places in your own order, but the progression of exploration and story is more centralized on a few significant choices as apposed to a full open world. It's a little more like a Metroidvania than and Openworld Adventure game now. I actually think, that though this style of over-world was not my original plan, it is a better plan. I have just recently played Hollow Knight (my first Metroidvania game), and I think many aspects of that game will allow me to better direct the story of The Last Librarian, and tie the player more closely into the world. Here is a comparison between my old overworld maps, and the new map, which is about 25% smaller:

Old Map:
Rosarah Map Old.jpg

New Map:
Map New.jpg

A few changes you can expect, in result of this change, include major changes to the structure of Kendlith at the beginning of the game. Instead of finding the other two Librarian Weapons out in the world, you will return to Kendlith throughout the game to gain more weapons. This makes it easier to know when players might find those weapons, aiding difficulty balance among other things. More importantly, returning to Kendlith multiple times allows me to establish relationships with the characters there, and make the player more connected to their home-town. The story-arc of Kendlith (and people like Miles and Baren) was planned already, but this structure lends greater strength to their planned stories. I'm also working to clarify who the Librarians are, who your grandfather is and generally make the early game exposition dump a little more manageable.

Outside of Kendlith, the next update will include two new libraries, in a way. The first is Skull Dungeon, which is actually already done and in the game, but has only been released to alpha-testers so far. Very little will change with that library. The other library will take the place of Kithen Ruins which is also already in the game. Kithen Ruins will get a massive redesign and expansion to make it a full library, including a spell obtainable from it. This is my effort to make the world a little more compact, and allows me to remove other parts of the game that were planned. I was also going to make Seroth's Tomb its own library, but I did not feel like the procedural generation was conducive to a full library, so it instead will be the start of a major side-quest.

As mentioned in earlier posts, this next update (3.0.0) will be released hopefully by the end of the year. I look forward to showing you it!

"Ah, that we could hope for rational thought. But nay, war is not an endeavor of logic!" - Words of a Chitite Refugee.

DANG!! This looks so cool. The story is captivating and I can really see myself getting into it. Downloading the demo now. That's amazing you've gotten this far with it. Keep it up!

Edit:
I haven't played it much, but I intend to! I love the atmosphere so far. The music and sound effects are great! And cutting down plants is fun lol.

Last edited:
DANG!! This looks so cool. The story is captivating and I can really see myself getting into it. Downloading the demo now. That's amazing you've gotten this far with it. Keep it up!
Thanks a bunch! Let me know what you think once you've gotten a chance to play it! (I hope the story is as captivating as you say, it's certainly my goal. Especially if you have suggestions for that let me know!)

L

LegitCamel

Hey! Had a chance to check out the game and play for over an hour and was having a great time! The puzzles were great combat could use a little work but i would love to see it with new assets. I actually just started work on a similar game myself, not happy with the progress yet so I wont be posting it for a while but your inventory system was perfectly made, do you have any good guides you could show me on doing a inventory system like yours? Keep up the great work ill be staying updated with your progress!

Hey! Had a chance to check out the game and play for over an hour and was having a great time! The puzzles were great combat could use a little work but i would love to see it with new assets. I actually just started work on a similar game myself, not happy with the progress yet so I wont be posting it for a while but your inventory system was perfectly made, do you have any good guides you could show me on doing a inventory system like yours? Keep up the great work ill be staying updated with your progress!
Thanks for playing! (By the way, here's a tweet showing some of the updated graphics if you're curious. Still not great, but a lot better I think: https://twitter.com/CloakedGamesDev/status/1056296962838867968). More updates hopefully coming soon, by the end of the year at least.

As a matter of fact, I have an entire written tutorial on the exact inventory system I am using in that project. Here is a link: https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.php?threads/flexible-inventory-system.34884/ The only additions you might need (in context with the information in that tutorial) is first, restricting which items can be stacked in which slots, and the equipping system which works by assigning a button slot (B/X/Y) to an inventory slot. Creating/destroying the inventory display is a bit different, and selecting slots with the gamepad is a lot harder than with a mouse as shown in the tutorial, but hopefully that could get you started if you'd like.

Update (11/26) - Linux Build
I did this a few days ago, but I wanted to post an update here too. We actually now have a Linux (Ubuntu) build of the game. Right now it's just the same Kickstarter demo from before, but future updates will all have Linux builds. So if you have a Linux machine and want to try it out, you can now! So that's fun.

Actually, the Linux build probably has some stability issues, as I have had very limited ability to do testing for it. So anyone who can play it on Linux and note discrepancies for me to fix would be greatly appreciated. It seems to run but I'm sure there's some things I need to fix...

You can download the Linux (or the Windows) version from itch.io here: https://cloakedgames.itch.io/the-last-librarian

In the preparation for next the next huge update (which I hope to have ready by late December or early January), I've been doing a lot of polishing sort of improvements based on feedback I got from the KS demo. This includes stuff like UI improvements for interacting with items in the inventory, polishing the dialogue, adding better ways to explain mechanics that players had been missing before, and many more small improvements. This is of course in addition to the content updates which will include more Libraries and boss fights...

"She loved him more than she loved the newborn child. She could not imagine waiting for him to return again." - Story of Baren Fortmoor

Update (2/20) - Approaching Challenges...
Hello my friends, it's been a while without an update. That's because I've been hard at work! It's time to update though because I have just finished a major internal build. The alpha testers are trying it out right now, and in a few weeks, I will release the next public beta, version 3.0.0!

This will be the largest update this game has ever seen. For beta testers, it will include the next two Libraries (Skull Dungeon and Kithen Fortress), a mini-dungeon, two new areas, four new bosses, two new spells and a host of sidequests and secrets and treasure to discover.

Runner 0055.jpg
So, stay tuned for the next few weeks, I cannot wait to show you all the amazing content I have added in the last several months. Thank you as always for your support!

"The glass, you see, was the most peculiar part of it all. Indestructible somehow, yet it had every other property of glass. The enchantments woven were probably not even done by Last. No, they were cast by some even greater being... We never could replicate the spells, though we were able to take advantage of the glass that was already there." - Turnalo's Notes

Update (3/7) - Strider Demo Release

Hello everyone! This is a huge update. A new demo has been released! Version 3.0.0, the Strider Demo can be downloaded at itch.io now, for Windows and Linux. This update includes many new things, I've been working for a long time. I am so excited to share it with everybody! New things include:

• 2 new dungeons and 4 new bosses
  • 3 new spellbooks and magical items
  • New areas include Dragon Bog and Misty Forest
  • Many sidequests, secrets, stories and new characters
Kendlith.jpg

So, please try it out and give me your feedback! I've had a blast working on this project so far, and I can't wait to continue on till the finish. And thank you as always for your support and interest throughout. I hope you have fun with the Strider demo.

Download at Itch.io: https://cloakedgames.itch.io/the-last-librarian
Join The Last Librarian Discord Server: http://bit.ly/2Ph6EAH

"Please stranger. Don't turn out the lights. They'll see me... and kill me." -Boo the Strider

I did a gameplay review of your game!
Thanks so much for playing! Yeah, the art is very much in-progress. The player animations especially need to get done as soon as possible. And sorry for that lag at the end, something is definitely up. There's some instance that isn't being properly destroyed I think because that is definitely not normal. I'm really glad you caught that on camera, now I have something to work with.

Update (4/16) - Progress Report
I've been getting a lot of work done, so I thought I'd share a bit of the progress I've made so far. I'm currently focusing on getting an alpha-testing build ready by the end of the month (or early next month). I am working on a new town (which is basically already done), as well as a new town. This leads to being able to explore new parts of the story as well. The Strider demo delves deep into the story of the conflict between the Efren and the Striders (which is why I called it the Strider demo). This next part of the game explores instead the story of the Kithen Empire and the circumstances of the villain's appearance in Rosarah.

Quest City.PNG

One thing I wanted to focus on a bit as well in The Last Librarian is more emergent or environmental threats to diversify the world and give you new things to do as you explore. As part of that, I added a new mini-boss to the game. This is an entirely optional fight, with a ginormous python. If you chose to engage it's a dangerous battle. But on its own, the python simply wanders the Bog, giving the players an opportunity to avoid it if they should wish. It's a natural part of the world, which I think adds a lot to the exploration aspect of the game.

Dragon Python Short.gif

Anyways, that's just what I've done the last few days. There is tons of other content planned and I can't wait to share it with you. I'm past a point in this project where nearly all of the engine programming is done and I'm able to add new things like enemies, levels or bosses faster and faster. It's going well. :)

Update 5/12 - Water Palace Complete
Hello everybody. I have just finished a major section of the game, so I thought I'd share my progress. I have finished entirely Dragon Bog, Chitite Field, Quest City and the Water Palace. This is the next Library in the game. It has a pretty cool macro-mechanic, where you can freeze and unfreeze the Water Palace, to make it also the Ice Palace. This changes which sections of the dungeon you can access at any given time, as well as the enemies which freeze or unfreeze as well to become different enemies.

Water Palace.jpg Ice Palace.jpg

In addition, there is Quest City Outpost, which is a new city in the Plains of War (AKA Chitite Field). The people there are the most heavily oppressed by the main villain, and your initial visit turns out to be a bit... dangerous. I used this city, and the lore around the Water Palace (and some at Kithen Lake) to more deeply explore the aspects of the Skeleton Lord's return from the Void and some aspects of how he came to power. You also meet Randel's parents, sort of.

Runner 0116.jpg

From here, I am moving onto the Gota Desert and the Library there: the Arcane Ruins. I have a cool plan for the desert itself, as an environmental puzzle, and I'm excited to make the Arcane Ruins because I am planning a new type of dungeon that I haven't made before. Every new piece of the game I make I get better at what I do. Can't wait to share the next thing I make.

Update 7/15 -
Hello fellows, it's been a little bit. I have been working on The Last Librarian all summer, every day. Just recently I took a bit of proper vacation finally, but I'm back at it. Before my break, I finished the Gota Desert and the Arcane Ruins. I also built Gota's Drop, which is the largest city to be added to the game so far. The story there includes some very ambitious cutscenes and a lot of different dialogue options.

Runner 0142.jpg

From here, I am moving onto the Ebreath region. These isolated mountains carry the ruins of a once wonderous civilization... But buried beneath their frosted mag-lev subway tracks are the frozen undead corpses of their entire population... The Ice-Plague has long been sealed away in Ebreath, but the victims of the Plague still live, for-ever more...

Until next time, friends.

"What Glory is it to follow your basest desires for war? What you follow is not Glory! No, you are the Deisborn of Betrayal!" -Deisborn Camilla

Update 8/8 -
Heyo folks! I've made excellent progress with the Ebreath Mountains. The frozen railways are complete, and as well as having done some polishing of the desert area, I am now moving onto the next dungeon of the game. This is the Ebreath Archives, a mysterious sanctuary of knowledge... The dungeon mechanics revolve around mirrors, and there are some very intricate puzzles planned.

Runner 0148.jpg

This is the 6th of the 8 dungeons I have worked on so far. I'm starting to get really excited because we're actually very close to finishing The Last Librarian. In a few days, we'll only have two dungeons left, and basically, the entire engine is done so it's quick going. I'm expecting to have the game completely finished by October, and then it's just the matter of the actual release.

Stay tuned... I have been working on this for so long, I can't believe how far it's come.

"Welcome to the Ebreath Archives, a sanctuary of knowledge... Come, let your questions be answered, your needs fulfilled, and allow your life to change forever."

Last edited:
Update 8/31 -
Another update! I am now working on the Hathor Mountains. Here is First Peak City, a city of stone houses nestled between the red cliffs of the Hathor Mountains. There are three guilds, the Guild of Hammers, the Guild of Scythes and the Guild of Daggers. They each struggle for political power in the city.

Runner 0160.jpg

I am also working on the location where the final dungeon is before I actually make that dungeon. In the spirit of open-world games, I want you to be able to fight the final boss right from the start. I am adding a path to this place that requires only the starting items in the game. You can fight the boss and see the credits then, without even doing any dungeons. But if you want the true ending, you will still need every spell, so it might take a little longer.

"I often stood on this bluff, overlooking the Obsidian Fortress. It is the greatest thing that I have ever put my hammer on to build. I only wish now that it had been built to celebrate the accomplishments of all of mankind, not merely the ego of a single man." -Hammer Guildmaster

This quote was first written on the very first post of this thread, but today is the day I actually added it to the game.

Update 9/14 - Early Access Trailer
There is a huge announcement today! The Last Librarian is going to be available for early access on October 19th, 2019. Here is the trailer!

This game is a huge project for me. There are so many different areas, eight dungeons, and a ton of different items and abilities. I am greatly inspired by Zelda (as you can probably see), but The Last Librarian focuses more on the story as well. There are many different towns and NPCs that provide a look into the deep lore of Rosarah, with a complex history to discover to understand your purpose as a Librarian.

Early access will not last very long. The main content of the game is already complete. So this time is an opportunity to gather player feedback on the level-design and gameplay, as well as update the soundtrack and some of the graphics. I want to be able to polish the game more before fully releasing it, but I need player feedback to do that. I'm so glad to have made it so far, and I'm excited for everyone to be able to play the completed game. Thank you so much for the support so far!

If you're interested in supporting the development further, please consider sharing on social media. You can also join The Last Librarian discord server (http://bit.ly/2Ph6EAH), or follow me on Twitter (https://twitter.com/CloakedGamesDev). The game will be available on itch.io (https://cloakedgames.itch.io/the-last-librarian).

"My greatest vanity was leading an invasion of Hathor. Out of Greed and Hatred and War... But there, I was confronted with my demons. It was the Demon of Fire." -Seroth of Humility

R

Red Phantom

Looks amazing! Looks like you've made some improvements too! Looking forward to the final release of this game!

Update 10/19 - Early Access Release

Today is the day! The Last Librarian finally enters early access officially. Thanks for sticking by so long, and I look forward to hearing your experience as you play the completed game.

To play the game, head over here to https://cloakedgames.itch.io/the-last-librarian and you can purchase The Last Librarian for Windows or Linux. It’s been a long time in the making, I am so excited for it to finally be playable. I owe a huge thanks to the GameMaker community and this forum in particular. You helped me learn game programming, and showed support for the project throughout. I love GameMaker and I love this community, so thanks!

You may notice this is early access. The reason for this is that while the game is completely done (every piece of content is there), I wish to spend some time gathering feedback and making changes before calling The Last Librarian a finished product. If you are interested in helping with that process, you can share your feedback here on the GMC, on the itch.io community forum, or the Discord server. Follow me on Twitter for continuous updates on new versions.

Update 10/27 - Version 4.0.1
Hello everyone! It's been just over a week since The Last Librarian first released to early access. Today is the first update, version 4.0.1. This particular update is just a bunch of bug fixes and slight aesthetic improvements. However, I am planning to make more significant improvements in future updates. To do that, I really need your feedback, so if you are interested in The Last Librarian, considering buying it in early access now so that you can help make the game better. Plus, it is cheaper now than it will be when it is finally released!

Purchase the game here: https://cloakedgames.itch.io/the-last-librarian. You can share your feedback here on the GMC, on the itch.io community forum, or the Discord server. Follow me on Twitter for continuous updates on new versions. Your feedback is invaluable for the development process!

Update 12/17 - Final Release Date
Hello everybody! I am pleased to announce the final release date for The Last Librarian! The game will launch December 14th, 2019!

The early access period was fairly short, but that was always the intent. I published the game in early access as a trial period, giving myself the leeway needed to address bugs and ensure the version I was publishing was everything it could be. Now, we have fixed many bugs, updated graphics, added new songs and done general polishing and improvements. It is ready now to be a finished game, The Last Librarian, my first fully finished published title, but not the last.

There will be one more version, released on launch day: 4.1.0. This version will include a few more graphics updates, the final complete version of the OST, and a few more tweaks I've been wanting to make. The primary feature will be the ability to unlock the debug console which I used during the development of the project. There will be updates as necessary to fix game-breaking bugs, but otherwise, 4.1.0 will be the definitive version of The Last Librarian.

The price of the game will increase to $20.00 on release day, so if you were thinking of buying it, you should get it now while the price is lower!
The game will release on Game Jolt as well, for those who prefer that platform. (The early access was exclusive to itch.io).

I look forward to December 14th!

Runner 0275.jpg

"When the storm comes, go home my child. The storm is tyranny, and you are not safe." - Jrack the Gaurdkeep

mar_cuz

Update 12/17 - Final Release Date
Hello everybody! I am pleased to announce the final release date for The Last Librarian! The game will launch December 14th, 2019!

The early access period was fairly short, but that was always the intent. I published the game in early access as a trial period, giving myself the leeway needed to address bugs and ensure the version I was publishing was everything it could be. Now, we have fixed many bugs, updated graphics, added new songs and done general polishing and improvements. It is ready now to be a finished game, The Last Librarian, my first fully finished published title, but not the last.

There will be one more version, released on launch day: 4.1.0. This version will include a few more graphics updates, the final complete version of the OST, and a few more tweaks I've been wanting to make. The primary feature will be the ability to unlock the debug console which I used during the development of the project. There will be updates as necessary to fix game-breaking bugs, but otherwise, 4.1.0 will be the definitive version of The Last Librarian.

The price of the game will increase to $20.00 on release day, so if you were thinking of buying it, you should get it now while the price is lower!
The game will release on Game Jolt as well, for those who prefer that platform. (The early access was exclusive to itch.io).

I look forward to December 14th!

View attachment 27987

"When the storm comes, go home my child. The storm is tyranny, and you are not safe." - Jrack the Gaurdkeep
Congratulations for reaching this point as not many do. I wish you all the very best with the release.

Update 12/14 - FINAL RELEASE
The final release of The Last Librarian is here! I am so incredibly excited to share this game with everyone. The Last Librarian is an action-adventure puzzle game, complete with a vast open-world and 8 unique dungeons to conquer. You are the last member of the Librarian Order, and you must uncover the secrets of ancient magic to defend Rosarah from tyranny.

kendlithVillage.jpg

I have been working on it for just over two years, and it became a far more ambitious project than I had initially expected. I want to offer a huge thanks to all the people who helped along the way. Thanks to the alpha testers, the artists, and everyone in the community who offered encouragement throughout the process! The Last Librarian is a huge milestone in my life--being the first game I have published--and I will not ever forget the support I had from all of you.

kendlithSecret.jpg

Oh also, stay tuned for small updates to this game, and future projects from me. I am only just starting...

Update 1/11 - Linux Version and OST
Version 4.1.1 is released! This comes with a few small bug fixes and various tweaks. Along with that are two larger announcements:
  • First, 4.1.1 comes with a Linux compatible build! So, The Last Librarian is now playable on Linux. Please let me know if you run into any issues with the Linux build. Testing for that version is much harder than Windows on my end of things.
  • Second, the complete soundtrack is now available for download! You can download the OST for FREE on the game page. There is over an hour of original music. This OST download also comes with a bonus song titled "Take Up The Legacy", a full bard song with lyrics performed by my brother who is much more talented than I am.
From here on out, I am focusing entirely on my next project. I will have announcements for that to come soon...

And our people marched forward against the darkness! She led us: the Great Warrior of Light, Song of Time, and the City of Shadows fell before her glowing spear. -Legends of Light

M

mamacato

We all spend a lot of time on our games. The game looks fun. I wanted to try it when it was a demo but I was using a mac at the time. I realize now that my steam account is still set to Vietnam, as I had spent some time there. So Ori and the Will of Wisps, for example, is only 10usd. All games are super cheap like that. So therein lies my surprise at the Last Librarian.

The Last Librarian: Legend Quest
It's been a little over a year since The Last Librarian was first published, and today I am releasing the single largest update this game has ever seen. This is v5.0.0 - Legend Quest!

Legend Quest is a brand new game-mode, which completely transforms the world to provide a brand new challenge designed for expert players. This is an entire second quest, which is not just a harder difficulty mode, but an entirely new experience for the most skilled players. And for new players playing the regular mode, combat has been rebalanced to be more accessible, and easier difficulty options have been added for players interested in just the story and puzzles.

Legend Quest
  • A second, entirely new version of the game, designed for expert players.
  • New layout and added challenge for every dungeon and overworld region.
  • Increased enemy strength and new enemy abilities.

Rebalanced Combat
  • Enemy stats adjusted to be fairer.
  • Player abilities buffed to give more options.
  • New easier difficulty options are available.

Other Miscellaneous Improvements
  • Increased player movement speed and better sword dash.
  • New death counter visible from the pause screen.
  • More accurate play-time counter.
  • Tons of bug-fixes and small improvements.

Legend Quest is the definitive version of The Last Librarian, the point where I finally feel like this game is truly complete. Not only was I able to add a second quest as I have always dreamed of, but I was able to add polish and fix many bugs to bring The Last Librarian to a new level. I hope that new players will be able to enjoy The Last Librarian in a way they could not before, and old players will find new interest by trying out Legend Quest. This was a three-year journey, and I'm delighted to at last say, "This is what I made!"

Finally, to celebrate, The Last Librarian is on sale for 50% OFF until the end of February!
The game is available on itchio and Gamejolt. Be sure to check it out!

Download on itchio: https://cloakedgames.itch.io/the-last-librarian
Download on Gamejolt: https://gamejolt.com/games/the-last-librarian/454461

That is: universal magic--so-called physics--is the greater magic that is applied consistently and automatically without the involvement of a known caster. -The New Grimoire