• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows Projects no longer loading in GMS2?...

Japster

Hi guys / @Nocturne - hoping someone can help - I've been working on my TetraLogical game recently, and all was well until today....

I can no longer load up ANY of my projects, including saved historical backups, despite restarting fully, selecting different runtimes, uninstalling GMS2 and re-installing it, etc, etc...

Has anyone else had this problem please guys, or knows how to get around it without manually re-importing, one-by-one, all of my resources, into a fresh project?

I did update GMS2 recently, but that was a couple of weeks ago, and seems to have been working fine prior to this?

I literally get no further than this, every single time. Nothing works to bring it back. If left alone for 20-30 seconds, GMS2 just exits... Other projects work, including REALLY early ones of my game, but nothing from say, a month back or less works?!:-

Any advice is greatly appreciated, cheers guys....

Den / Japster

Last edited:

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
That doesn't sound like anything I've seen before I'm afraid... Now, you CAN create a new project and then on each resource use the RMB to manually import each resource to the new project, but if the project is large, then this will take quite some time, and if it's one of the resources that has become corrupted somehow, you run the risk of importing it and causing the issue all over again. Can you remember the last thing you did in the project? If so, then it might be worth while backing up the resource that you last changed, then deleting it from the project files and trying to load the project again. You'll get a missing resource error, but you can then recreate it... I would 100% recommend filing a bug with YYG though, and supply a link to the project that's giving the issue. They can then look through the project files and tell you what's not working and maybe even tell you how to edit them to fix the issue.

Japster

That doesn't sound like anything I've seen before I'm afraid... Now, you CAN create a new project and then on each resource use the RMB to manually import each resource to the new project, but if the project is large, then this will take quite some time, and if it's one of the resources that has become corrupted somehow, you run the risk of importing it and causing the issue all over again. Can you remember the last thing you did in the project? If so, then it might be worth while backing up the resource that you last changed, then deleting it from the project files and trying to load the project again. You'll get a missing resource error, but you can then recreate it... I would 100% recommend filing a bug with YYG though, and supply a link to the project that's giving the issue. They can then look through the project files and tell you what's not working and maybe even tell you how to edit them to fix the issue.
Many thanks for the fast reply @Nocturne - really appreciated... :)

I'll get in touch with them, and yep, I bit the bullet and spent a good couple of hours re-importing EVERYTHING into a new project manually, which at least loaded and ran afterwards, but of course, as some objects referenced others not yet in the project, those events (collision etc), plus other stuff, seem to be broken doing it this way.... ...The weird thing is that I was working on my game literally 2 days ago, but now, loading up even older projects over the last month simply doesn't work..... :(

Arrrgh.....

Mick

Many thanks for the fast reply @Nocturne - really appreciated... :)

I'll get in touch with them, and yep, I bit the bullet and spent a good couple of hours re-importing EVERYTHING into a new project manually, which at least loaded and ran afterwards, but of course, as some objects referenced others not yet in the project, those events (collision etc), plus other stuff, seem to be broken doing it this way.... ...The weird thing is that I was working on my game literally 2 days ago, but now, loading up even older projects over the last month simply doesn't work..... :(

Arrrgh.....
Captain Hindsight here with some post-advice. You should have used my GMS2 Resource importer tool instead of doing it all manually. If you need it for other projects, you can find it here: https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.php?threads/tool-gms2-resource-importer.45739/

Last edited:

Japster

Captain hindsight here with some post-advice. You should have used my GMS2 Resource importer tool instead of doing it all manually. If you need it for other projects, you can find it here: https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.php?threads/tool-gms2-resource-importer.45739/
Ha ha! - Captain Hindsight? - Nope, actually still needed! :)

...and WOW! - You legend! - exactly what I needed mate - When I imported my sound files etc manually, I had all sorts of problems, in addition to the collision code etc....

But... This fantastic utility of yours seems to work a TREAT, and not to mention the other great utils I found by yourself when visiting your site!

It seems to work GREAT, and an issue I had on Mac has now reared its head in the resulting spliced Windows project (which is a GOOD thing, as it should help me narrow down why the Mac is showing this issue (tiles that don't disappear)... (Possibly down to one of those collision events I think...)

The only things I'd possibly suggest are:-

...that it doesn't import Notes, which I've a lot of to keep track of where I am, within the project - (neither does GMS2 correctly, as I found out :( - I imported them directly using GMS2, but they were all blank! - I had to 'import' each one, then load up each note's TXT file in Notepad etc, and paste them back in - weird...), and...

...that although it imports and cleverly replicates the folder structure for imported data files, it doesn't seem to create, or let me create, the matching groups as the folder structure already exists in the project folder, but no corresponding groups are created (the files seem to work as-is, despite being inside the original folder structure) which essentially means when I try to re-group my files, it won't let me - GMS2 fails to create the group in the IDE, as the folder already exists with no corresponding group entry...

It's a minor observation, and removing all of the included files, manually deleting the folders left over, then creating the groups inside GMS2 and bulk importing the included files again works fine - just thought it might help to mention it, but I'm over the moon with the results of this superb utility, and very thankful that you chipped in with the info! (and that you coded it!)....

Not sure if I'll end up using your Haptics extension anytime soon, but I've bought it as a thank you, and will donate on your page mate - keep up the great community work!

Thanks again!

Mick

...and WOW! - You legend! - exactly what I needed mate - When I imported my sound files etc manually, I had all sorts of problems, in addition to the collision code etc....

But... This fantastic utility of yours seems to work a TREAT, and not to mention the other great utils I found by yourself when visiting your site!
Thanks man, much appreciated! :) I love making utils.

...that it doesn't import Notes, which I've a lot of to keep track of where I am, within the project - (neither does GMS2 correctly, as I found out :( - I imported them directly using GMS2, but they were all blank! - I had to 'import' each one, then load up each note's TXT file in Notepad etc, and paste them back in - weird...), and...
I will look into adding support for notes, I have been thinking that not many use them and if they do, it wouldn't be too many. But, yeah, should be an easy task.

...that although it imports and cleverly replicates the folder structure for imported data files, it doesn't seem to create, or let me create, the matching groups as the folder structure already exists in the project folder, but no corresponding groups are created (the files seem to work as-is, despite being inside the original folder structure) which essentially means when I try to re-group my files, it won't let me - GMS2 fails to create the group in the IDE, as the folder already exists with no corresponding group entry...
interesting, I haven't noticed this, might need to change something for newer GMS2 versions, I will investigate, thanks for letting me know.

Not sure if I'll end up using your Haptics extension anytime soon, but I've bought it as a thank you, and will donate on your page mate - keep up the great community work!
Thanks! :)

Japster

Well, @Mick - I can safely say mate, your util is AMAZING....

My fixed project works beautifully, and now loads fine.

@Nocturne - I've also realised (I think) why the Mac issue crept in....

I'd lay money that it's 100% to do with something the latest runtime is doing, possibly with Alarms when abused ;) I'm using Alarms for a few things, like my Downfall routines - on the old runtime below, these worked (and still work) PERFECTLY. On the new runtime, NOTHING I do makes them work, spent most of this evening even slowing the whole thing down to a 3rd / 5th of its original speed to avoid any potential timing issues. Then when I revert to my trusted Runtime on my PC, the issue literally disappears instantly, and if I do it on my MAC, I get the same - it's almost certainly why my Mac build wouldn't work (as it's the newer runtime), when my PC one did, and it's now concerning me that until it's fixed I won't be able to use any newer Runtimes, or at least without getting to the bottom of, or working around, whatever's causing the issue?...

PS - I also remembered the last and ONLY thing I did before my project would no longer load, if that helps!... I'd simply tidied up my routines by adding regions.... They looked great, no issues - expanded and minimised fine etc, but it's the ONLY thing I did since my project last loaded successfully. So possibly something happened there, although that doesn't explain why older, none-region'ed project snapshots wouldn't load afterwards either.... even after an uninstall and re-install... ...well weird...

I can log a bug report, and even send on the project with my horrendous code, but I'm not even sure what you guys would be able to narrow it down to.... I'm now currently using IDE v2.2.2.413 and Runtime v2.2.1.291 with NO problems, since Mick saved my a$$....

Mick

@Japster I have fixed the bug with folders in GMS2 Resource Importer and have also added support for Notes. You can download the new version in the thread for the tool.

Japster

ffffffs!

Just managed to add a load more work to my (recovered) project after working on it for a week or so, saved, GIThub'd it, all hunky dory....

Now the ****ing thing won't load up again!!! - GMS2 just hangs/unresponsive, with the same screen as I posted above, then exits to OS after about 30-40 seconds.

@Nocturne - I've tried EVERYTHING I can think of here, but even updating IDE and runtime, restoring from GIT, etc, do not work.... old projects again, seem to still load fine. Heck, if I pull an old YYP into the project, THAT loads it up fine (but of course missing resources).... I can't even export and attach the project, as I can't load it up!

The only thing I can see if that the 'ui.log' is truncated and much shorter than previous ones - also seems to complain in 2 parts, then stop at the second red section:-

[23:35:48:416(146d)] DnD: Installing gadgets from IDE
[23:35:48:519(146d)] Discarding document db6dec9f-3064-4341-bb42-b13ee54cde64.gml
[23:35:48:722(146d)] LoadingState: UserDNDLanguages
[23:35:48:782(146d)] LoadingState: Plugins
[23:35:49:667(146d)] API restriction: The assembly '' has already loaded from a different location. It cannot be loaded from a new location within the same appdomain.
[23:35:49:752(146d)] Failed to load keyboard definitions file:C:\Users\A\AppData\Roaming/GameMakerStudio2\japsters.cavern_944082\input.json

[23:35:49:752(146d)] LoadingState: Devices
[23:35:49:769(146d)] Splash screen: loading devices...
[23:35:49:769(146d)] ...initialising device manager
[23:35:49:771(146d)] ...loading workers
[23:35:49:771(146d)] ...moving to welcome page end
[23:35:49:772(146d)] LoadingState: WaitOnWelcomePageEnd
[23:35:49:772(146d)] ...done!
[23:35:49:786(146d)] LoadingState: CheckLaunchProject
[23:35:49:803(146d)] LoadingState: VerifySkinning
[23:35:49:820(146d)] LoadingState: End
[23:35:49:884(146d)] Reading help from zip file
[23:35:50:132(146d)] Setting ProjectFullFilePathMacro to 'C:\Users\A\Documents\TetraLogical\TetraLogical.yyp'
[23:35:50:132(146d)] Setting ProjectDirMacro to 'C:\Users\A\Documents\TetraLogical'
[23:35:50:132(146d)] Setting ProjectNameMacro to 'TetraLogical'
[23:35:50:162(146d)] Loading project layout from: C:\Users\A\AppData\Roaming/GameMakerStudio2\japsters.cavern_944082\Layouts\TetraLogical\TetraLogical\255e2caa-5864-4b02-be99-35003f3e2ca3.xml
[23:35:50:198(146d)] Failed to load demos file:${user_directory}\Marketplace\Demos.json
[23:35:50:202(146d)] Loading project 'C:\Users\A\Documents\TetraLogical\TetraLogical.yyp'
[23:35:50:453(146d)] Caught exception for gadget of type 'window' and style 'window'- Error: An anchor or dimension has been set to percentage with no parent gadget, try using pixel instead
[23:35:50:523(146d)] Caught exception for gadget of type 'window' and style 'window'- Error: An anchor or dimension has been set to percentage with no parent gadget, try using pixel instead
[23:35:50:546(146d)] Caught exception for gadget of type 'window' and style 'window'- Error: An anchor or dimension has been set to percentage with no parent gadget, try using pixel instead
[23:35:50:580(146d)] Caught exception for gadget of type 'window' and style 'window'- Error: An anchor or dimension has been set to percentage with no parent gadget, try using pixel instead
[23:35:50:593(146d)] Caught exception for gadget of type 'window' and style 'window'- Error: An anchor or dimension has been set to percentage with no parent gadget, try using pixel instead
[23:35:50:620(146d)] Caught exception for gadget of type 'window' and style 'window'- Error: An anchor or dimension has been set to percentage with no parent gadget, try using pixel instead
[23:35:51:69(146d)] Caught exception for gadget of type 'window' and style 'layer_view_window'- Error: An anchor or dimension has been set to percentage with no parent gadget, try using pixel instead
[23:35:51:74(146d)] Caught exception for gadget of type 'window' and style 'layer_properties_window'- Error: An anchor or dimension has been set to percentage with no parent gadget, try using pixel instead
[23:35:51:80(146d)] Caught exception for gadget of type 'window' and style 'room_properties_window'- Error: An anchor or dimension has been set to percentage with no parent gadget, try using pixel instead
[23:35:52:182(146d)] Load project took 00:00:01.9798030
[23:35:52:478(146d)] Creating FolderWatcher at 'C:\Users\A\Documents\TetraLogical'
[23:35:53:793(146d)] Exception in ,Void RoomEditor_Focus(YoYoStudio.GUI.GUIBase, YoYoStudio.GUI.GUIBase) : System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at YoYoStudio.Plugins.CorePlugins.RoomEditorModule.RoomEditor_Focus(GUIBase _gadget, GUIBase _window)
at YoYoStudio.Plugins.CorePlugins.RoomEditorModule.UpdateRoomWindows(RoomEditorModule _bindModule)
at YoYoStudio.Plugins.CorePlugins.RoomEditorModule.RoomEditor_Focus(GUIBase _gadget, GUIBase _window)
at WeakDelegate(Object , Object[] )
at YoYoStudio.Core.Utils.WeakDelegate`1.Invoke(Object[] _args)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I stress, this worked fine before, so I can only assume some corruption has occurred when writing out the 'TetraLogical.yyp' file, or the project files / structure?

Either way, this is driving me mad...

Will log a bug report, but the strange thing is that it loads up fine on another (none-dev) PC... ...just not the one it's broken (again) on....

Any help or info / confirmation of what might cause the above, would be greatly appreciated! - took time off work to work on this, and it's just getting wasted, argh....

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
I'm afraid I can't offer any insight into the errors... it seems a bit weird, especially as you say the project works fine on another machine, so I think this is something that you'll just have to wait and see what YYG say about your bug report.

Japster

I'm afraid I can't offer any insight into the errors... it seems a bit weird, especially as you say the project works fine on another machine, so I think this is something that you'll just have to wait and see what YYG say about your bug report.
Thanks as always @Nocturne - if it helps, I noticed it seems to complain about a layouts file in a none-project area (C:\Users\A\AppData\Roaming\GameMakerStudio2\japsters.cavern_944082\Layouts\Tetralogical\Tetralogical) too, so I moved those to a temporary folder, and it *seems* to be loading one of the problem projects (in reality, probably another one that used the presumably corrupt layout file) okay...

Gonna go to bed now as absolutely zonked and don't want to screw up my GIT source due to tiredness, and see if I can pull out a latest snapshot from GIThub tomorrow morning, then see if that loads up fine. If so, then at least I know WHY this might be happening (ie. corrupt layout file causing GMS2 to hang on loading a project that uses it), which will be something I can work around if so...

All the best!

Den / Japster