Legacy GM 3d fps questions - Video of project - New Problem [Solved]

NickKall

Hi All,

Below is a video of my current project. It is a 3D Racing strategy game.

The track and all its parts are created within the game. The player can design any track the desire. These tracks that are created are saved in individual files so that they can be shared if desired.

Anyway....

The top right corner has the real fps showing. The game runs at 60fps.

This particular part has about 300+ objects running, most of which are draw primitives. (Not Models, future version will have models)

Most of the object models are fairly small. Only the cars are the complex models. (Made on Martin Bearts Gamemaker model creator. Nice on Martin)

There are 4 to 5 ds grids running. One of which is about 20x300. This grid is only operating during the edit stage. During an actual race, that grid will be destroyed.

Bandicam seems to soak up alot of fps. Ordinarily when the race cars are running, fps is around 350 and sometimes into the 400s.

This track is about 30% of a full size track (to be made in the future) and I don't want to continue too much further without ensuring that optimisation is fully accounted for.

Can anyone point to any documentation that helps to minimise the toll on fps?

Credits:
Martin Bearts - Gamemaker Model Creator
Binskified - 3d Mouse Collisions

Thank you for reading.

Nick

NickKall

Can anyone please help me with this...

upload_2019-5-3_22-55-27.png

I am working on day/night transition but I cant get these headlights to work.

The headlights is a model. alpha values are 0.5 at the light source down to zero at the end of the beam. It is not drawing the ground beneath the light, but the car model is okay.

If anyone can help, would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Nick

YellowAfterlife

ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ
Forum Staff
The headlights is a model. alpha values are 0.5 at the light source down to zero at the end of the beam. It is not drawing the ground beneath the light, but the car model is okay.
Make sure to draw the car after you draw the ground - otherwise z-buffer distances are already closer than the ground (occupied by headlight) and the ground does not get drawn behind it.