Alpha Rising Spirit: Traditionally Animated Fighting Game

P

ProjectGamesInc

What a freaking sweet art style! your backgrounds and animations on charas are truly awesome! Congrats!!!

I've probably said this a bunch but it's truly amazing how much this game has changed and how far you've come. I still remember lurking your thread when you first posted it on the old GMC, when it was basically just stick figures haha. I tried it out anyway, found the engine interesting and have been keeping an eye on it every since.
I really can't wait to play it when it's done!

kupo15

What a freaking sweet art style! your backgrounds and animations on charas are truly awesome! Congrats!!!
Thanks so much for the enthusiastic response! Glad to hear you love the style, I very much love it also, the artist did a stunning job and it really matches perfectly with the music. I can't wait for it to come even more alive when the background gets animated!

I've probably said this a bunch but it's truly amazing how much this game has changed and how far you've come. I still remember lurking your thread when you first posted it on the old GMC, when it was basically just stick figures haha. I tried it out anyway, found the engine interesting and have been keeping an eye on it every since.
I really can't wait to play it when it's done!
Haha And I very much appreciate it every time you say it :) This game has had so many ups and downs and difficulties through all those changes and still faces many challenges. The encouragement and support helps tremendously for me to push through and I'm truly grateful. Can't wait to deliver an amazing game for you and all to enjoy!

Speaking of that, I don't intend and don't want this to go on any longer than 2 more years. I'm really buckling down in 2019 to get all the characters and animations I prototyped out years ago to an initial sketch HD form that you've been seeing. Get that huge chunk of development out of the way to clear the path towards polishing and expanding the game with more features. I'll be so happy when I can officially remove the stick figures the game and replace them with HD sketch animations. It'll really help make the path towards completion clearer and tangible :)

L

Lucia

the artwork is AMAZING. also the shadow/light effects used for the background stages. congratulation

kupo15

the artwork is AMAZING. also the shadow/light effects used for the background stages. congratulation
Appreciate it! Can't wait to delve into more dynamic lighting to really make things pop even more!
Smash bros with a Street Fighter/Mortal Kombat twist. . . ARE YOU MAD!!! WHY ARE YOU CREATING SUCH MAGIC
Haha exactly, not sure what came over me ;)
I'm jealous this is amazing one of my favourite genres of games
Thank you so much! :)

Field Magic

Beautiful animation, especially in the staff attack at the end.
Just a curious question, When the Reiko loses his life and the fight continues, Does Kira gain her life back as well or is it like Injustice where her life will stay where it is.

kupo15

Beautiful animation, especially in the staff attack at the end.
Just a curious question, When the Reiko loses his life and the fight continues, Does Kira gain her life back as well or is it like Injustice where her life will stay where it is.
Thanks very much, I appreciate it! :) Actually, when the spirit comes out its not the end of the round but rather the middle... think of it like a stock in Smash bros. I'm actually not sure what I did when the round ends and the next one begins. I forget, I think I refill both HPs back to full again. I think that's a better system for flow otherwise if the other player was inches away from death, one hit will cause another stoppage of play to reset that life bar again.

B

basement ape

Yeah this looks awesome. The animations are really impressive. Will the current forest bg replace the earlier one? They both look good and different enough to use as separate stages I think.

kupo15

Yeah this looks awesome. The animations are really impressive. Will the current forest bg replace the earlier one? They both look good and different enough to use as separate stages I think.
Thank you! :) That exact version of the previous one won't be here anymore because its art style is different and wasn't done by the lead artist. However, there will be daylight versions of the forest in other aspects of the game so I would expect something similar feeling but enhanced versions to be here. We plan to have a whole forest to explore which will give a variety of stages within the forest world to play on :)

Kahrabaa

Hey! The backgrounds look amazing especially with that improved zoom in. Great sense of depth.
The character animations look detailed and professional. I am amazed at the patience that is required to draw each frame over and over in different steps!
Fighting system seems well programmed and solid. Only complaint I have is hurry up!

kupo15

Appreciate it, glad you like it what you are seeing! :)

Only complaint I have is hurry up!
haha fair enough! Tell me about it, this seems to have unintentionally turned into another Owlboy dev cycle sort of thing..hopefully it won't be that bad though ;)

JackTurbo

Every time I look at this project it seems to have been taken to the next level!

Kudos Kupo and your team, you're killing it!

A

Andrew R. C. Beck

I must say @kupo15 this is mighty impressive! Have you been working on this solo or as a part of a team? :D

kupo15

Every time I look at this project it seems to have been taken to the next level!

Kudos Kupo and your team, you're killing it!
I'm beaming :D Its nice to know the bar is still being raised :)

I must say @kupo15 this is mighty impressive! Have you been working on this solo or as a part of a team? :D
Thank you very much! I started it solo years ago for about 6 months to get the groundwork prototyped. Throughout that time, I've worked with several artists which helped shape the direction of the game early who on until I partnered up with the current lead artist, Cardin. He has been a huge force behind the artistic vision (as you see here) and direction of the game. His art and passion throughout has hugely inspired me to think of any possible way to make the game even better than I thought it could ever be. Since then, its been primarily been him and me but I do contract some animation and concept work out purely to assist me in prototyping things so I can code ahead in HD until its completely transformed by Cardin, as he does everything you see from the ground up. I have to mention that Sora has been a huge role earlier on with conceptualizing the game and I'm happy he still helps out from time to time but its mainly a 2 man team at this point working in our spare time.

I also have a sound designer whose been waiting patiently for me to give him stuff. That will be the next update which we are on the cusp of starting some work there, character SFX and a soundscape for the Forest Stage. Finally will be getting a start to some RnD into Rising Spirit's sound world and remove some temporary sounds. Looking forward to that!

M

Misty

Remember I helped you with GM sounds in the Programming forum once you become a billionaire from this.

kupo15

As always looking great! I really like his walk cycles, gives off a cocky boxer vibe.
Thanks! Yeah exactly! That forward walk is so menacing and intimidating I love it. Really gives you that immovable mountain encroaching closer vibe that you really don't want him getting closer :D

kupo15

Gaston's forward walk cycle looks like Cody from sfa3
Hmm I had to check it out because I don't know his walk cycle, I can see what you mean in its similarity I had no idea! Strange. I definitely want tweak the walk to be a bit more bulky in his movement due to the weight of the anchor so that'll help distinguish it even more. Thanks for pointing it out so its on my radar!

Last edited:

kupo15

Sounds rad, dude! Got a very full sound there, very appropriate composition for a big main theme.
thanks so much! Yeah it has a lot of work to do hooking people in and also introducing all the characters for the planned intro cutscene, very pleased with how it turned out and I'm looking forward to transitioning the other tracks to these sounds soon :)

Dude, that looks so slick. I still have one of your super early demos on one of my harddrives and I love seeing how far this has progressed and evolved. Very impressive.

kupo15

Dude, that looks so slick. I still have one of your super early demos on one of my harddrives and I love seeing how far this has progressed and evolved. Very impressive.
Thank you! Aww man those old demos from 6ish years ago haha so terrible, the camera now makes me dizzy with how jittery it is when it was on the gm8.1 haha It has indeed come a long way since then and even still from when we first started integrating HD sketches in there too. Glad you've been following for so long! :)

Dang, this looks promising as heck. I really love the fluidity of the animations, and the art style in general!
Really appreciate it! And to think this isn't even at a polished state yet. The end product is going to look fantastic even I will be in for a surprise when I see it! And yes, fluidy of the animations will be such a spotlight and even moreso as the game progresses. I guess one of our goals is to prove that you can have fluid animations in a fighting game while it still feeling fast paced!

kupo15

Really excited to show off some of our progress with overhauling the UI/UX. The game is feeling so much more serious and professional with these upgrades. It's amazing how much of an impact the UI has on the game. I still have a bit of work to do to transition everything that @Gizmo199 has designed for us. Fantastic work Gizmo, can't wait to integrate it all :)