• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

GameMaker Export video/frames of surface

R

Reventador

Hi all,

I am trying to create a perfect, 60fps video that is an hour in length.

What's the most efficient way to export each frame, or record, my application surface onto disk as individual PNG or mp4. that I can then put into a video.

Open to different approaches just not sure how to do it smoothly as screen record programs can jump every now and then.

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
If you're not happy with recording software, the most efficient method at that point would probably be a capture card, with rendering outsourced to another PC to avoid stealing performance.

You could in theory as well save screenshots of the application surface to storage every frame - this would guarantee that no frames would ever be skipped, as it's locked to the same frame rate as the drawing. In practice, though, RIP performance and whatever poor hard drive you save this stuff to. A 1 hour 60 FPS series of 1080p screenshots should take up roughly 150 GB (60 FPS * 60 minutes * 1920 width * 1080 height * 24 bit per pixel) (Edit: Even that is too optimistic, see below. Thanks for the heads-up!) of space when uncompressed - have fun processing that!

Last edited:

DukeSoft

exporting to PNG is going to take a huge amount of diskspace and disk IO - on avarage an hour length video (24 hours * 60 minutes * 60 seconds * 60 frames * 1MB (an avarage 1920x1080 24bit png would be that size) would take 5184000 MB of data (5184 GB -> 5,1 TB)

You should check out OBS. It works very well.

@TsukaYuriko you missed 1 times 60 ;) your calculation would be for 1 frame per second.