• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Physics stops after a few seconds

S

supersecretgrandpa

Been into GM since the 6 era, trying to get back into it. Using Studio 1.X until I'm ready to really invest in the newer stuff.

I'm using the new (to me) physics to procedurally animate a tail. For what it's worth, I based it off of rm2kdev's rope tutorial on YouTube and modified some variables.

It works beautifully. That is, until I stop moving my character for few seconds -- then my joints freeze permanently.

Do I need to manually refresh the physics world somehow? Looking forward to learning the simple bit of code I probably overlooked.

Been into GM since the 6 era, trying to get back into it. Using Studio 1.X until I'm ready to really invest in the newer stuff.

I'm using the new (to me) physics to procedurally animate a tail. For what it's worth, I based it off of rm2kdev's rope tutorial on YouTube and modified some variables.

It works beautifully. That is, until I stop moving my character for few seconds -- then my joints freeze permanently.

Do I need to manually refresh the physics world somehow? Looking forward to learning the simple bit of code I probably overlooked.
I remember the 6 era like it was yesterday. Can you believe how different GM is now? I've also been out of the game for a while, and would also benefit from an answer. Not to worry, supersecretgrandpa. I'm sure that one of these "whiz-kids" will show up to help us "old-timers" out. :cool:

Last edited:

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
Do I need to manually refresh the physics world somehow?
Not as a rule. But many things can cause physics joints to freeze. Depending on how they've been defined, joints may run into a limit. Or their movement may be stopped by an external force. Or stopped by damping or friction, etc.

Or you sure the joints are "frozen", rather than just "at rest" because no force is causing them to move?