• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

modify a zip file

H

Hugoab

Hi Everyone! I have an issue with GameMaker studio, I've saved my work as a Zip file, and deleted the project, now I want to make some changes in the zip file, but I' don't know how to lunch it again in the gamemaker because it's a zip file now .. please help

cgPixel

Did you export your project as zip file under "Create Application..."?
If yes, I have bad news... as this file doesn't contain the source code or project files.

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
Show a screenshot of what you mean by "saved my work as a zip file".

If you took the entire project directory and put that into a zip file, then you're safe. Just unzip that and keep working.

If you exported as a .yyz file, then you're also safe. Double-click that .yyz file or select the Import option to restore the project.

If you zipped just the .yyp file, then you just paid a hefty stupid tax. That is the equivalent of saving just the table of contents of a book and recycling the rest.

If you exported as zip file under Create Application, then you're also done for as cgPixel said. That is the final compiled format, not source code, and decompilation is strictly off-limits around here.

In any case, you should have checked that your backup actually contains all the pertinent information, before rashly deleting the original.

H

Hugoab

Did you export your project as zip file under "Create Application..."?
If yes, I have bad news... as this file doesn't contain the source code or project files.
I've asaved it as an HTML5 format for a game ..

H

Hugoab

Show a screenshot of what you mean by "saved my work as a zip file".

If you took the entire project directory and put that into a zip file, then you're safe. Just unzip that and keep working.

If you exported as a .yyz file, then you're also safe. Double-click that .yyz file or select the Import option to restore the project.

If you zipped just the .yyp file, then you just paid a hefty stupid tax. That is the equivalent of saving just the table of contents of a book and recycling the rest.

If you exported as zip file under Create Application, then you're also done for as cgPixel said. That is the final compiled format, not source code, and decompilation is strictly off-limits around here.

In any case, you should have checked that your backup actually contains all the pertinent information, before rashly deleting the original.
That's what my FileZip Got when I open it, as you see I can't find any solution to open it in game maker

Attachments

O.Stogden

I don't believe it can be opened in Game Maker. That's a created application/HTML file for people to play.

You may have backups automatically saved by Game Maker somewhere, I would look for those if you actually deleted your project.

If no backups are saved, your project is most likely gone.

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
It is not possible - and if anyone tried to do so, it would be a breach of the EULA, as it involves reverse-engineering of the runner and also allow for violation of copyright when applied to a project that is not one's own - to edit a game in this format.

Do not delete the project source files if you intent to work on the game further at any point in the future.

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
I've asaved it as an HTML5 format for a game ..
That's what my FileZip Got when I open it, as you see I can't find any solution to open it in game maker
That is the compiled result for HTML5, you can't open that in GMS 2 nor revert that to source code format.

You should not have deleted the source code to your project, period. The damage is done. Look before you leap next time.

H

Hugoab

That's so Sad,then I have no solution but to start coding at zero :'(