can't think of currency for game

I'm stuck in a rut trying to decide what my game's currency should be called. I was originally just going to call it G (gold, goo, gills, who knows???), but I realize that's already been used (Undertale) and I'm assuming we shouldn't use a currency that isn't original? Or is that totally fine?

I had a couple ideas, but I'm not completely in love with them...
Here they are, listed with potential abbreviations and the full name. (20 x) is basically how the game would write out the price of something in a store.

-Essence (20 E) (20 Essence)
-E-Cents (20 EC) (20 E.C.) (20 E-Cents) ---> a play on "essence"

-Pellets (20 P) (20 Pellets)
-Soul Shards (20 SS)(20 Soul Shards) (20 S. Shards)
-Gems (20 G)(20 Gems)
-Remnants (20 R)(20 RM)(20 Remnants)
-G (20 G)

-Shards (20 S) (20 Shards)
-Souls (20 S) (20 Souls)
-Fragments (20 F) (20 FG) (20 FM) (20 Fragments)

So which ones sound decent? For the ones that sound good, which abbreviation/writing is better (if applicable)?

Tell us about your game, maybe there's something that fits really well thematically.
Either way, I don't think you need to invent a completely new currency, using gold or gil or g or whatever is probably fine.

Tell us about your game, maybe there's something that fits really well thematically.
Either way, I don't think you need to invent a completely new currency, using gold or gil or g or whatever is probably fine.
Without revealing too much, the overall theme of the game is self-reflection, the dynamic changes we undergo in life, standing up to an opposing force, and choosing to take revenge or to forgive those who have hurt you.

The entire game is supposed to be symbolic, as in nothing is really there but rather a dream state or imaginary world designed to represent the player's inner torment.

N

NeZvers

Gold>Silver>Copper
Pellets sound interesting.
Farhts are funny. :D

D

deem93

but I realize that's already been used (Undertale) and I'm assuming we shouldn't use a currency that isn't original? Or is that totally fine?
ethian, is that you?

Seriously though, this is a very interesting topic. I guess the answer depends on the world you are creating for your game.
Personally, my favorite currencies in video games are caps in the first Fallout game and souls in Demon's/Dark Souls games.
In the first Fallout, pre-war bottle caps were used as a fiat currency backed by the water merchants from the biggest settlement in the game. One of the reasons, it was bottle caps in particular, was that in a post-war world, they were hard to counterfeit.
I think it is a great example of money in a game working as currency as well as a piece of world building.
Souls on the other hand fit very well in the game that presents its world in mythical fashion. You are never explained what souls really are or why they are so coveted by all the characters you meet. In Demon's Souls, if I recall correctly, there is a line about "soul starved soldiers", implying compulsive need for acquiring souls, but there are very few examples like this. From the players perspective, currency operates on need to know basis and that's enough for this kind of game.

My game uses gems, which is a little uninteresting. You can use practically any word as a currency instead. Octopath Traveler uses "leaves". Your own currency can definitely add a lot to the game world. You could use a sprite font and add your own symbol to represent the currency (instead of an abbreviation). Whatever the currency is, it should carry some significance. In Brandon Sanderson's Stormlight Archives, they use gems infused with Stormlight. (Uninfused gems are not worth as much because they could be counterfeit, also infused gems can be consumed to use magic). The currency in Harry Potter adds to the story because of its absurd exchange for each type of coin. It really depends on how you want your game to feel like.

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
You can use another games currency as long as it isn't super unique like bottlecaps
other wise rpgs wouldnt use gold

the game im making uses copper because all I see rpg's use is gold

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
the game im making uses copper because all I see rpg's use is gold
Copper is actually a pretty good thing to use as a currency! It's getting more and more valuable as the deposits are depleted, and (at least here in Spain) the robbery of copper for reselling is a pretty huge problem, although one that doesn't get a a lot of new coverage. In the same vein, tantalum, tungsten, titanium, and a few other "rare" metals could also make interesting currency depending on the game and the setting.

T

Taddio

Copper is actually a pretty good thing to use as a currency! It's getting more and more valuable as the deposits are depleted, and (at least here in Spain) the robbery of copper for reselling is a pretty huge problem, although one that doesn't get a a lot of new coverage.
It's everywhere, I guess. Our hunting shack was ripped apart a couple years ago, they took every single damn piece of wire there was in there... Only when we repaired it I realized copper has became SO damn expensive!!

Khao

Without revealing too much, the overall theme of the game is self-reflection, the dynamic changes we undergo in life, standing up to an opposing force, and choosing to take revenge or to forgive those who have hurt you.

The entire game is supposed to be symbolic, as in nothing is really there but rather a dream state or imaginary world designed to represent the player's inner torment.
You could think of something related to the themes of your game and use a word that'll give your currency meaning. Getting "Souls" in Dark Souls implies that you're literally taking the souls of your enemies to get stronger. Does "purchasing" something in your game have any intended subtle meaning? If you're implied to have a troubled mind, and your currency is meant to help you with those issues, your currency could have some sort of psychology-related name that implies it's there to help your mind improve, or change. Or heck, you could do the opposite and make currency sound harmful. Like, calling your currency "Delusions" or something along those lines, could give an entirely different vibe to any kind of transaction. Or you could take another route and call it something like "Dopamine". There's a lot of interesting things you can do if you have some deep mental themes going on, and depending on what you're going for and how much you want to send a message to your players, the right name could really enhance the experience.

How important is currency to your game's story? In Undertale, currency matters so little it doesn't even have a proper name. Several Capcom games (e.g. Monster Hunter, Breath of Fire) use "Zenny": a slightly differently-spelled "Zenni", which was an actual bronze coin used in Japan. In games like Pathologic, coins exist, but you can barter. Conditions are so poor that fresh food and clean water are typically worth much more to people than money.

In most games, it really doesn't matter.

D

Dengar

just call it 'gc' and in game dialogue its also refered to as 'gold coins' but secretly you kno it just stands for 'game coins' lol

D

Danei

I like pellets the most out of the examples in the OP.

Here's some random suggestions:
-Marbles
-Beads
-Buttons (as in a shirt)
-Flowers
-Seashells

Small, collectible things without a great deal of inherent utility (which to me is the essence of a currency) but which may have sentimental value (which to me fits a theme of self-reflection).

In one of my projects, the currency is essentially generic coinage, but they're called "mun-muns", perhaps a slang term for money, but used in formal and informal situations alike, a source of great amusement to the easily amused (me).

Last edited by a moderator: