• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Saving the state of a room

W

Weegeesquare

Yeah this is probably an idiot question, but how would you save the state of a room?

I'm trying to make a game that deals with rooms that change often, and while I know how to save data, I don't know how to specifically save how a room looks at a specific time...

Yeah I kinda really suck at GM >~<

A

Aura

If you want the room to stay as it was when you left the room, you can try using room persistence.

If you want the room's state to be saved at a certain moment, you can try using game_save_buffer() to save the state of the game at that moment to a buffer then you can save that data to a file -- but you'd have to use seperate files for each level. Also, the function would save the state of the game so your progress will be lost, so make sure that you do not rely on this for things like score. Instead use a seperate file.

W

Weegeesquare

If you want the room's state to be saved at a certain moment, you can try using game_save_buffer() to save the state of the game at that moment to a buffer then you can save that data to a file -- but you'd have to use seperate files for each level.
This is exactly what I want, thank you very much!