• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Mac OSX Navigation on Mac OS?

M

Manic

Okay, fair warning I'm pretty mad but I will do my very best to try to be civil cause that's no ones fault.

My brother recommended GameMaker when I told him I was using RPG maker, (which he hadn't heard of) and Adobe Animate to make games. So far it seems like I could really do some research to use this, because the basic interface is very difficult to understand without help files or tutorials. However there is a mega fault Ive found that I can't seem to get around. I can't navigate any of the path like widows. I am completely unable to reach the end of the third branch on an object window or other editor. Image proof:

As you can see, this window extends off the edge of the user interface, and remains unreachable on the right edge. forever. I have no idea what's over there. There has to be a way to scroll across that someone thought was to easy to figure out so they didn't make it a priority to highly in the help files. But I can't get it. Ive tried right click drag, control click drag, Option/alt, shift, even the dang arrow keys. how do I get over there?! ... sorry, but this is stupid. I don't mean to lower the self esteem of the designers, but I mean, if I can't navigate, I can't understand and use this software, and I'll probably go back to RPG maker and Animate. I'm on the trial period of this software right now, but, again if I can't use it, I won't waste my money on it.

D

dannyjenn

Hopefully I understand your question correctly.

This confused me too when I was just starting out. The way to move around on the workspace is to move the mouse while holding the middle mouse button. If your mouse doesn't have a middle button, then I'm not sure what you'd need to do. (There's probably a setting somewhere, but I don't know where it would be.)

Honestly, I'm not sure why they decided to go with this sort of design. All versions of GameMaker prior to GMS2 were more intuitive. But after using GMS2 for a while then navigating its interface becomes second nature and isn't really a problem. (Some people probably like it better than the old interface...)

H

Homunculus

Aside from what @dannyjenn said, you can set / change the default window size under Preferences > Text editors .

I'm not a big fan of GMS2 interface either, I got used to it, but it never felt right. A lot of people love it though, and the customisations in the preferences menu let you control A LOT of interface features.

M

Manic

thanks guys, I actually work on a Wacom Cintiq and it allows me to change click setting for each app I use. So my right click is now a middle click. I'll see how this works out, but if I become annoyed I guess I'll have to change it up in the Game maker studio settings. But again thanks, this will help with my use, I'll be able to Jude the game making better now that I can navigate.

You can hold down the Space Bar and left-click and drag with the mouse to move the view around.

CTRL + Mouse Wheel up and down zooms the view in and out
SHIFT + Mouse Wheel scrolls left and right

Also check your Game Maker Preferences->Text Editor->Default code window width setting, try making it smaller and see if that helps.

M

Manic

oh yes, I did actually end up resting the layout of the application as well, so I defiantly say it helps. but more than anything an explanation of how to pan/scroll was what I needed. The middle click is very really used an unavoidable click. For Mac users that sometimes don't even have right click, its kinda awkward... (although to be fair, I think on the most common apple mouse they have a middle/scroll roller button so IDK Ive already said I'm not even using a mouse) Anyway, (rambling) resting is kinda always a good idea.