• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Android leaderboard/achievement no longer work [Solved]

Joh

Hi, this is sudden and random as everything used to work fine a few months ago.

I can no longer access the leaderboards and achievements of my game.

Anyone know what might have happened? I haven't touched anything, noticed the change in a version that was already on my phone (and used to work).

What I do notice is the appearance of the leaderboard seems to have changed since: Its white instead of the blue it used to be. I cant see it load fully since it always fails. (using the default google leaderboard/achievement)

I'm surprised I didnt see anyone else post about this, but it reassures me that its not a case of GM 1.4 google leaderboards being truly broken (for all).

Any help would be appreciated, thank you

Happened to me!
Update the extension of your project, Google Play services and all!
Release it as an alpha on the dashboard!
go to google play services and enable it for testers and try, it'll work!
Release to production!

Joh

Happened to me!
Update the extension of your project, Google Play services and all!
Release it as an alpha on the dashboard!
go to google play services and enable it for testers and try, it'll work!
Release to production!
Hi thanks for the support, good to know I am not alone and it can be resolved.
Already enabled for testers
I updated the extension and now It doesn't even show the attempt to open leaderboard.
It also doesn't show the login in at the start. (but console says it does)
heres console
Code:
I/yoyo    (27042): AchievementLogin()
I/yoyo    (27042): Called achievement_login when already logged in
I/yoyo    (27042): Attempting to show leaderboards.
I/yoyo    (27042): Failed to show leaderboards: com.google.android.gms.common.api.ApiException: 4: The user must be signed in to make this API call.
it says im already logged in, yet it also says i must be signed.

Don't know if you encountered this, but further help would be nice.

Update:
fluke occurance, by going with android (not YYC) i managed to have access to leaderboards & achievements.
Then it broke (failing to load the leaderboard & achievement like before i updated)
On relaunch it doesnt work anymore and behaves as described above in this post. (like with YYC)

Not sure this helps, just giving info in hopes it does.

Last edited:

chinykian

I'm facing issues with the achievements as well! A white panel will appear for a split second and then just disappear. The odd thing is that it seems to only be a problem on Android 8.0 and above.

J

Jaime Lpz

Were you able to get this working? I get the same issue - White panel appears for a split second, then it just disappears...

Joh

Unfortunately not, Might be something serious since it's not on my side. (broke without me touching any code)
I've tried updating the extension (went to 3.0.1) it didn't fix things. In fact it seems worse, now I dont even get the white panel. I also don't get to login.
(the console says I do, but its not the same as back in 2.9)
2.9 had my google play account pop and signed me in with my gamer id.(also seen on console)
shows white panel for split second
"Setting vis flags to 5894" seems to be the bug
3.0.1 has no pop, no sign that i'm signed in but console says I am.
Doesn't even show a panel (but console says I need to be signed in, as seen in my last post)

been trying to set up more things believing perhaps I needed more approval on google side but so far no success.
Already had google services set up to alpha.
Created an "App" for google store (was working without it before, but it seems like it might have been necessary)
for that had to have sdk 26+ installed that too.
Still not working.

At this point I don't know where I go wrong, instead of trying to fix this weird thing,
Does anyone have Google play services (leaderboards/achievements) working?

How are you set up? I feel this might be quite helpful.

Thank you!

Hi @Joh, this started happening to me too. I noticed this in relation to other google play service services stopping working, like save cloud. This started after the google play service update on March 19th. From what I understand it seems that extension 3.0.1 is no longer working.

T

Tazco

I have this same issue, after updating the extension to 3.0.1 it no longer gives me the flash white screen. I am able to log into google play but get this error when trying to open achievements or leader boards (Failed to show leaderboards: com.google.android.gms.common.api.ApiException: 4: The user must be signed in to make this API call.) upload_2019-4-14_14-53-13.png

The odd thing about this is it works with no issues on older versions of android. Achievements and leader boards worked on my galaxy S7, I recently upgraded to a S9 and thats when I noticed this issue. I am able to load my game onto my galaxy tab A and there is no issues when loading achievements or leader boards. It only happens when trying to test it on the S9. I have tried everything I can think of, but with it working fine on the Tab A this problem is not in our code.

Edit:
S9 Android Ver 9.0
Tab A Android Ver 8.1

After trying the game on my old phone (which the GF has now) she has not done software updates yet so her phone sits at ver 8.0 and it does the same issues that the S9 is doing. I am wondering if its only working with Ver 8.1

Still works on Tab A with no issues

Last edited by a moderator:

Joh

Yes, your screenshot is what I face. I think something changed on the google side, I have an old phone, with old version and no update and my game still stopped working out of nowhere. same for a friend who clearly couldn't have toyed with anything.
Interesting that it can work for you and the issue seems to be device based. I did manage to get it to work once through a fluke and I think we really do connect and still send stuff (API does notice activity) but the whole connecting, displaying leader board/achievements doesn't seem to work reliably.
I contacted support and it seems 3.01 Does not work (Don't know why this Tab A works) anymore. Ill admit I'm still somewhat skeptical because this seems like the kind of breaking that would cause a lot of reaction. (We can't be the only ones having made a game with google services the extension)

For what its worth 3.11 Exists for GMS2 Only and that allegedly works. I'm with GMS1.4, no more support, things are looking grim.

Personally I find the whole thing bumming, I was finally looking forward to upgrade for the nice 2019 features of GMS2. But now this adds some gross pressure to it. I much prefer upgrading because new product is better than because previous product is falling apart(especially so soon).

T

Tazco

Yes, your screenshot is what I face. I think something changed on the google side, I have an old phone, with old version and no update and my game still stopped working out of nowhere. same for a friend who clearly couldn't have toyed with anything.
Interesting that it can work for you and the issue seems to be device based. I did manage to get it to work once through a fluke and I think we really do connect and still send stuff (API does notice activity) but the whole connecting, displaying leader board/achievements doesn't seem to work reliably.
I contacted support and it seems 3.01 Does not work (Don't know why this Tab A works) anymore. Ill admit I'm still somewhat skeptical because this seems like the kind of breaking that would cause a lot of reaction. (We can't be the only ones having made a game with google services the extension)

For what its worth 3.11 Exists for GMS2 Only and that allegedly works. I'm with GMS1.4, no more support, things are looking grim.

Personally I find the whole thing bumming, I was finally looking forward to upgrade for the nice 2019 features of GMS2. But now this adds some gross pressure to it. I much prefer upgrading because new product is better than because previous product is falling apart(especially so soon).

I agree that it must be something on google side. After trying on the tablet again it works as it should with no hiccups. I did notice that when played on the s9 it shows the little green controller to say im loged in, but i dont see the profile load on the top. When on the tablet if I log out and in it shows the profile pic on the top every time. Im wondering if there is some compatibility issue, my firend just tryed it on his phone (non samsung) and he has the same issue. His phone requires me to reduce the target sdk to around 23, anything above does not show as a usable apk for him. Im not sure what to do since im ready to release anytime now but do i leave achievements and leader boards in for some to use or take it out completely in hopes there is a fix soon. I cant explain it either but right now out of 4 devices (the 3 in the house and my friends) 1 works and 3 dont. When I had the S7 it worked before I gave it to the girlfriend, but I did have it fully updated. Im going to have her do the updates at some point and see if it works on there again. For the record I tried a game I have on google play that has not been updated since 2017 and it also has the same bug on my S9 phone, but worked flawlessly when released back then.

Based on what i tried it seems to be something on googles end and not so much GMS. I am stuck on 1.4 as well so I hear ya. It would be nice to use 3.11 and it would have worked. Hell I would be happy to down grade it, if it worked. I cant explain why it works on the Tab but here is a few screen shots of it working.

I agree, the amount of money to upgrade for what I can already do right now sucks. Dont mean I am not going to, I just cant right now. I feel since GMS 2 got released 1.4 has started losing things that worked (hip tic feedback) and slowly dieing.. GMS 1.4 is starting to feel like realm crafter.. lol either way this one I dont think is on GMS but I could be wrong.

Attachments

Mert

Sorry, fixed that by regenerating an oAuth key on Google Cloud Platform

Last edited:

Joh

Embarassing!
1. Got a Long solution to get a 3.1.1 on GMS1.4
2. Got a short solution that just works?
I'll still post Long version (aka my adventure) tomorrow.
But since the short version is so simple I can post it right now:

UPDATE google play services on your phone. 16.0.98 is what I have.
Might explain why even GMS2 people are facing issue. and why the problem was sudden and out of nowhere.

I got a new phone, it could run my game with leaderboards.(it had play services 16.0.98) (on old version with extension 3.0.1)
My old phone that couldn't run leaderboards [Why I created this thread] had 11.9.75. With 16.0.98 can now show achievements on the very apk that previously didn't work.(with 3.0.1 extension)

Hope this help!

Joh

I was kind of hoping for others to mention if it worked for them too.
Didn't want to claim solved when its just me.

With this though, i don't think I need the long version, thanks again for everything!

chinykian

I had to go to "oauth consent screen", go to the "scopes for google APIs" section and remove any references to google plus. Seems like it worked for me finally after that!

DarK_SaCoR

Hi, I've same issue with GMS1.4 and extension version 3.0.1:

Cloud sync failed. Error: com.google.android.gms.common.api.ApiException: 26504: The user must be signed in to make this API call.
Failed to show leaderboards: com.google.android.gms.common.api.ApiException: 4: The user must be signed in to make this API call.

I have tried everything you said. I do not know what to do.

EDIT: Someone with GMS2 could send me the files from extension version 3.1.1 placed in the proyect folder to compare it with my extension version. Thank you

Last edited: