Hazmat Harry + proof of concept DEMO

T

teamrocketboyz

Hello all i have been toying with an idea for a game for a few weeks now and have managed to develop a quick video showing what i have so far (its not much but im quite pleased with it).

The game will be a platform game where you play as a SPONGE and the idea is to clean up the mess created by the villains in the game. touching the paint on the ground also covers your character and takes health from him.

There are no enemies as of yet as im still pretty new to all of this but i will include a video showing what i have so far, theres a few very minor touches that im happy with such as the coins spinning faster when hit by water and the remaining water you haveleft been visible inside the sponge itself. what are your guys thoughts?

the demo is the original idea without the new artwork and its available here:
https://scrapboxgames.itch.io/spongedemo

Edit, new name, new look, introducing Hazmat Harry

Last edited by a moderator:
M

mamacato

I like how the sponge gets paint on it and how the crates swell up and explode. Good work!

T

teamrocketboyz

I like how the sponge gets paint on it and how the crates swell up and explode. Good work!
Thank you very much for your feedback.

I have a slight update on this project.

moveset = left, right, jump, jump and down = ground pound, aim and left mouse button shoots water cannon, right mouse button activates hover (water jetpack)

new features/ improvements

! water from the exploding boxes now does more damage
! coins that spin when shot at now return to the same position and speed as the other spinning coins.
! bouncable plungers have been added to act as springs

currently working on enemies.

T

teamrocketboyz

A slight update. i dont really want to make a new post every time i add something minor but until i get a long time to work on the game im afraid they may just be minor updates.

im a single sole developer and the reason that it doesnt look like a level yet is simply because it isnt, what i have is a blank space that im using to test mu objects and gameplay. once complete i can then start to build the levels.

Added Coin boxes with varying number of coins inside, and added an electric fence type object to avoid.

T

teamrocketboyz

ok guys today i have created a very small demo of a single room, theres not much to do but its there to give a rough feel for the game, i would like to know what you guys think about the idea as a whole, ive literally only spent a few hours on this concept and obviously over time there will be improvements.

i would also like to know if anyone has any performance issues as im creating this game on a pretty decent pc so i wont be seeing any problems on my end.

i have added a draw_text to the gui to show water level but in the game the water level will be represented by the height of the water within the character itself. (as is in the demo) but ive added extra clarification.

the controls are as follows

A = move left
D = move right
space = jump
S = ground pound ( when in the air)
mouse cursor = aims water cannon
left mouse button = shoots cannon
right mouse button = use water jet pack.

the demo is available here:

T

teamrocketboyz

UPDATE

ive removed the water meter within the player itself and added a backpack that contains the water as its easier to see howmuch you have left. this lead me to creating a new(ish) style of character, Artwork not final.

im not sure whether to keep the game as is or go for the title "Hazmat Harry".

T

teamrocketboyz

ive decided to go with the character Hazmat Harry. what do you guys think? improvement or not?

T

teamrocketboyz

Updates

i have now introduced a scanning system so you need to scan the level for hidden trophies (ignore the scan sound ;))
various visual improvements
toxic barrels damage the player upon exploding.

T

teamrocketboyz

Hey, i tried your demo.

Pretty cool concept, but constant buzzing sounds were annoing :D
Thank you very much for trying it. there will be a new demo out soon, i thought the exact same about the buzzing sounds and im eventually going to make it so that you only hear that when your next to an electric pole.

EDIT: the latest demo version has been added to the previous link