• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - Code A lot of errors after new update

N

Naoki

Hi all,

This morning I tried to run my game but just had a bunch of errors.
upload_2019-3-27_11-13-29.png

On the main menu of my game, I'm using global variables to know when the player clicks on one of the buttons "Play", "Options" etc.
So I have:
Code:
global.play = 0
global.options = 0
global.howToPlay = 0
global.credits = 0
global.exit = 0
But this morning "global.exit" stopped working. This system has been working for months so I guess it's not working anymore because of the update.
I checked the release notes but can't find the exact part where it indicates this modification. So can you confirm my problem is actually coming from this update?

Thank you.

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
The problem in this case is your naming of the variable, not the update. The reason why you're being notified of it might be the update, though - maybe there was no detection for this beforehand.

I'm unsure why this was working in the first place - maybe due to the global prefix inducing a different context - but I can imagine why naming a variable exit is not supposed to be possible, as exit is a reserved keyword and statement. Use a different name.

N

Naoki

The problem in this case is your naming of the variable, not the update. The reason why you're being notified of it might be the update, though - maybe there was no detection for this beforehand.

I'm unsure why this was working in the first place - maybe due to the global prefix inducing a different context - but I can imagine why naming a variable exit is not supposed to be possible, as exit is a reserved keyword and statement. Use a different name.
Yes this is what I had to do, I was just curious to know if it was related to the update, even if I understand why it wouldn't work.