• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Is console and mobile exporting really that simple?

C

cescobar

I currently have a license for GameMaker Studio 2 for PC.

I'm interested in buying a license for consoles and mobile in the near future and I have been wondering if exporting a game to a different platform as simple and easy as it sounds?

Thanks!

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
You can't just export any old game designed for a desktop environment and expect that to run on a mobile device or a game console. That portability must be explicitly designed into the project from day one. The input can't be hard-coded, the graphics and UI must be scalable, and so on.

And for consoles, you can't just "buy" the license. You have to get devkit permission from the console's vendor before you can get the export, and even then the licence runs on an annual basis. If you don't have a business case for it, it's not worth your time or money.

Nope. Mobile has many issues. At least Android. I've gotten quite good at exporting to Android, but it still feels like issues. Mobile users want different types of mobile controls rather than controller like elements on screen. Sometimes I need to jiggle the cable to get the upload to happen. There's a substantial downgrade in hardware quality. So what was 200 - 1,000 fps on the PC, might be 35 on mobile. Plus there's the whole mobile setup in general.

T

Taddio

I don't know about you or your background and goals at all, but why not just try to make the best game as you can for PC, and then while trying to sell ot yourself and create a buzz for it, try to find an indie publisher willing to help you with those things?
Not the same (but kind of), that's always the approach I took with my music bands, and tho you can't always hit a home run, you can at least live with a good conscience since you gave it your best shot AND feed yourself and your family, since console dev is pretty expensive at large.

C

cescobar

Thanks for the replies.

Yeah, I'm just focusing on PC game development. I'm not going to get into the console stuff any time soon. I was just curious.