• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Splash Screen for Game Maker

Hi

I want to get rid of the splash screen that shows up on load. I went into options and tried to change it but it said that that option is only available in Creator. I am trying to do this for a Windows build. I don't understand when I have a the WIndows/Mac and Mobile/Fire license why I still can't get rid of that stupid splash screen. It looks very unprofessional.

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
Seems like the software is not properly recognizing your license. Are you using the Steam or standalone version?

I'm using the Windows/Mac version. It isn't the free trial. If I check the steam checkbox it says that I need to download a sdk.
@TsukaYuriko means did you install GMs 2 from Steam, or download it from yoyo games (which is otherwise known as standalone version) . nothing to do with using steam API in your game which is what that check box is for.

Have you tried logging out from the IDE and logging in again. If your license is working, you should have the option to enable/disable the splash screen.

Ate you using the latest version of GMs 2?

rIKmAN

I'm using the Windows/Mac version. It isn't the free trial. If I check the steam checkbox it says that I need to download a sdk.
When you say Windows / Mac version do you mean a Creators Licence?
If so then that comes with a splash screen as detailed on the website.

The full desktop version is Windows / Mac / Linux, which is why I ask.

If you are using the full desktop version then login to your account on the YYG website and make sure your licences are showing correctly and linked to your account.

If that looks good then try logging out and logging back into the IDE to force it to pull fresh licence data.

SeraphSword

Yeah that will force you to use the GameMaker splash screen. You'd have to upgrade to the Developer license to get rid of it.

T

Taddio

You should be able to change/remove the splash screen with a Mobile license. You cam't if you only have Creators, but it seems it's not your case

pipebkOT

modules are independent to eachother, you have the mobile licence so you can remove the splash screen on mobile modules only,

since you have the windows creator license and not the "DEVELOPER DESKTOP MODULE " license you can not remove the splash screen in windows exports,

if you want to remove it you need to buy the developer desktop module

here is more information

https://help.yoyogames.com/hc/en-us/articles/115002637011-Which-Licence-Is-Right-For-me-

that states that creator license can not change the splash screen

Last edited:
Then what the heck what is the point in buying the license that I did. So what is it. Exactly what did I buy? There’s the free license and then whatever I bought and then this other license?

pipebkOT

read the link a gave you https://help.yoyogames.com/hc/en-us/articles/115002637011-Which-Licence-Is-Right-For-me-
The Creator Licence is designed for hobby developers or for people that just want to have fun making small projects for themselves, as well as those people that want to learn to use the product without having to pay a larger initial amount.

The Creator licence is a 12 month non-renewing licence, and at the end of the 12 month period you will need to buy another licence to continue using GMS2 fully, or before your initial 12 month licence elapses, take advantage of the 30% discount on the Desktop licence if you want to upgrade and take your projects to the next level.

It is worth noting that the Creator Licence will not permit you to change the Splash Screen of your projects, nor can you disable anonymous in-game analytics, and you do not get access to the second compile ("YYC").
also, the amazon fire module comes with the "Mobile" license that you have.

Developer Licences

Desktop -The Desktop licence lets you create games for Windows, macOS, and Ubuntu. This permits you to create games that can be shared and played by anyone on a home computer, as well as upload them to the many online stores like Steam or itch.io.

• Mobile - This license allows you to target Android, Amazon Fire and iOS devices. Using the the single codebase for your game you can and build executables for the different platforms so they can be distributed through stores like the Apple App Store, Google Play or Amazon.

in short words, you have a 12 months lasting licence for windows only(without having the option to change the splashscreen) and a full permanent license of Mobile, that give you full access and control over the android, ios and amazon fire modules.

or maybe it's just a bug and you should be able to change the windows splashscreen lol xD

Last edited:
So basically I have to pay $90 to get rid of a splash screen.
Creators Edition is currently $39
Upgrade to Desktop Edition is approx. $70 (99$ minus 30% discount)

Total approx. $109 - So by my calculations, you are only paying $10 more than you would have if you bought the Desktop Edition first time round.

Plus you get access to all desktop platforms (Windows/Mac/Linux), access to the YYC compiler so your game can run natively, access to the Steam version and the license is permanent.

You could always write to yoyo and explain the misunderstanding, maybe they will give you $10 off the discount upgrade price, then you would have paid the same amount as a regular Desktop price.

However, if you are saying you have to pay $99 just to get rid of the splash screen, that's only if you are comparing Creators edition to the Developer edition. (and even then, like I said, with the upgrade discount, you are only playing about $10 more than an initial Desktop license)

If you compare the trial version to the Desktop Edition, the $99 is getting you a lot more, as the Trial version has quite a few limitations.

So basically I have to pay $90 to get rid of a splash screen.
You are also only paying once for a lifetime licence as opposed to the 12 month Creator licence. So if you stick with the Creator licence you will have to pay the renewal licence fee again when the 12 months is over. It is much cheaper in the long run to just buy the Developer licence as you do not have to renew it each year (plus all of the other benefits that IndianaBones mentioned).

rIKmAN

Sounds to me like you didn't do any research on the different desktop licences before purchasing and just bought the cheapest one.
All the information is on the website, if you didn't read it before buying then that's on you.

As the others have said, if you upgrade to the full Desktop Licence before your Creators Licence expires you will get a discount.

rKmAN: Sorry I just feel cheated. Yoyo games arrangement for licenses seems to be a bit convoluted. Theres a creator license and a developer license and a mobile license and is there a developer license just for windows or can you do a license for windows & mac & Linux? I'm sorry I looked at the licenses and I'm still not clear what is what.

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
There are separate Creator licenses for Windows and Mac.

There is a single Developer license that covers Windows, Mac and Ubuntu.