Free Frantic Freddie

jeff300

Announcing the FREE release of one of my retro-remakes for Mac, Windows and Linux: FRANTIC FREDDIE!

Description:
This game is a remake of the game "Frantic Freddie", originally released in 1983 for the Commodore 64. The original game was created by Kris Hatlelid and Gregor Larson, distributed by Commercial Data Systems, Ltd. Frantic Freddie was one of the first platform games ever made.

The goal of the game is to have Freddie collect all the pots of gold on each level while avoiding all of the enemies. Optionally collect bonus items to earn more points (10,000 points earn an extra life). When all pots have been collected on a level, you will advance to the next level. What makes the game unique, is that Freddie cannot pass through a pole. He must climb up one side and down the other. Enemies however can pass through the poles!

The game can be played with keyboard or gamepad. See Release Notes included with the game for full description of controls, supported game controllers, game features and how to play.

The game is easy to play, but very difficult to complete.

This remake is authorized by the original creator, Kris Hatlelid.

Available for Mac, Windows and Linux.

Comments welcomed. Thank you!

Title Screen.png

Level 1.png

Interlude 1.png

Level 4.png

Level 15.png

Download from http://www.vectordyne.com
or https://vectordyne.itch.io/frantic-freddie

Last edited:

Japster

Wow! - Great, faithful remake! - I loved this game on the C64, and it was one of the few games my mum also played!!

Will check it out... :D

D

Dan Woodvine

Hello, thanks for this. I love it. I have now completed it three times. I love it thanks. Who is the character who appears at the end on Level 17? I think he is the same character who appears in the Interludes. He refers to the Greeblies as his 'minions'. I hope there is a sequel to this soon.

jeff300

Hello, thanks for this. I love it. I have now completed it three times. I love it thanks. Who is the character who appears at the end on Level 17? I think he is the same character who appears in the Interludes. He refers to the Greeblies as his 'minions'. I hope there is a sequel to this soon.
Thanks, Dan. You've completed it 3 times? Without cheating? Wow, I'm impressed!

The original game actually had a back story to it, but it was largely eliminated from the game that shipped so that it could be a single-load program for all the Europeans and their damned cassette tapes. ;)
However, pieces of the story were found in ads for the game. The character who appears in the interludes and on Level 17 is named Greeblie. He is the leader of all the enemies in the game that are named in the early advertising as Greeblies since they follow him.

I am not planning on any sequel since the original author still owns the intellectual property and has told me he might one day make a follow-up. However, there is a small team out of New Zealand I believe who have been working on a sequel which will be released on the Commodore 64. They've been working hard on it for over a year now, and it is due to be released any day now.

jeff300

Bump to add that I now released the Linux version as well. Available from the same links mentioned in first post.

Also, for those of you who have played and enjoyed the game, even if you downloaded it from my website, if you are members of itch.io I would appreciate it if you left a comment on the game's itch page. Thanks!

jeff300

For any of you who have downloaded this game on itch.io, would you mind please leaving a rating and/or comments on itch? Thanks!