• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

GameMaker Wise to use 2d arrays?

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Clemens van Brunschot

I am building a game that is totally based on the use of 2D arrays. All action takes place in such arrays and for each frame the new content of the 2D arrays is drawn using sprites. No objects needed.
Question: does anybody know if GML is likely to change regarding the use of 2D arrays. Something about that was written by Russel (@rwkay) on Dec. 22, 2016 here. It might mean a radical change in my code...

This will be changing in the future as we are moving everything to 1D arrays and 2D arrays will be implemented as arrays of arrays (which internally they are but not exposed to GML in that way)
So the string representation for arrays will change (and be standardised as we move toward a standardised object notation)
Russell

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
Only YoYo Games would be able to answer this accurately. I suggest consulting support directly if the official facts do not satisfy your need for information, as the user base will be unable to provide it to you.

C

Clemens van Brunschot

Only YoYo Games would be able to answer this accurately. I suggest consulting support directly if the official facts do not satisfy your need for information, as the user base will be unable to provide it to you.
Thanks, @TsukaYuriko. I made the support request. I'll report here if I get an answer. In the meantime, there might still appear an answer right here.

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
Thanks, @TsukaYuriko. I made the support request. I'll report here if I get an answer. In the meantime, there might still appear an answer right here.
Such answers would be removed, as speculation regarding GMS features are not allowed according to the community guidelines.

In order to ensure that this won't be happening, I'll close this topic as the only possible answer has already been given and you already filed the support request.

Status
Not open for further replies.