OFFICIAL GMS2 Version 2.2.2 (BETA RELEASE)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hyomoto

Exact. But this changes the value indicating the last position of the string character. If for example I have to use a switch I have to change the values of the "cause", because if (for example using a string "1234") before I had the values 0-3, now I have to set the values 1-4, otherwise in the last value I have an error.
I think you have some other issue going on that maybe I'm just not understanding, but the character positions in the string "1234" have always been 1, 2, 3 and 4. Strings never started at 0 in GML, at least not in the decade I've been using it.

Last edited:
You are prompted to update when you launch the IDE and an update is detected.

If you aren't prompted you can go here: http://gms.yoyogames.com/ReleaseNotes-Beta.html
Dwnload the installer and run it - you'll be on the latest version.

I'm assuming you have opted in to the beta channel?
Yes, I've opted in. The IDE for the standalone remain at v.2.2.1.375 not v.2.2.2. as mentioned by Dan. Also the runtime beta available in the preference list is v2.2.2.302 not 2.2.2.308. The link sends me to this article, but no download link :
GameMaker Studio 2 Release Notes
Version 2.2.1.374 Download
Mon, 03 Dec 2018 18:00:06 Z

Do you mean that I should redownload-reinstall the GMS2.exe from YoYo website all over again? Is it how it's done to gain access to the latest IDE v.2.2.2? If yes, I'll redownload and reinstall. Thanks.

Yes, I've opted in. The IDE for the standalone remain at v.2.2.1.375 not v.2.2.2. as mentioned by Dan. Also the runtime beta available in the preference list is v2.2.2.302 not 2.2.2.308. The link sends me to this article, but no download link :
Version 2.2.1.374 Download
Mon, 03 Dec 2018 18:00:06 Z

Do you mean that I should redownload-reinstall the GMS2.exe from YoYo website all over again? Is it how it's done to gain access to the latest IDE v.2.2.2? If yes, I'll redownload and reinstall. Thanks.
That link works fine for me, and shows me the beta release notes and the download for 2.2.2.393:
Version 2.2.2.393 Download
Thu, 07 Feb 2019 15:14:28 Z

Can you download 2.2.2 from this download link?

That link works fine for me, and shows me the beta release notes and the download for 2.2.2.393:
Version 2.2.2.393 Download
Thu, 07 Feb 2019 15:14:28 Z

Can you download 2.2.2 from this download link?
The beta release note link still shows me the older version, weird. But anyway, I clicked on the direct link you gave, I can download the exe from it. Thank you.
Try manually clearing your browser's cache. I've noticed that release note pages tend to be cached and resist updating for some reason, even when refreshing the browser.
You might be right. I'll give this a try. Chrome can be annoying. I've experienced a similar case with a site where I can't access a site through it but can via other browser. However in this case, other browser return the same older beta release info. LOL.

Edit:
Did it, yup! You're right. This shouldn't have happen, but it does. Someone will need to review this sort of case, as it effect the IDE from receiving correct RSS update.

Last edited:
I

immortalx

It has been 10 days since this beta is out and I must say that at least on my end it's super stable. I didn't experience a single crash. We're sometimes hard on you YYG, but I'm sure everybody appreciates your work. The move to open the beta channel proves to be fruitful (I mean for us :D)

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
(taken from the announcement)
Any string that cannot be converted will cause an error to be generated, except in the case where a simple Equals or Not Equals comparison is being done (e.g. “Hello” != 0 would be true).
What's next, you're gonna tell me that if (-1) evaluates to true? (Well, used to... but I never forget... :p)

Obligatory sass aside, I'm happy to see the beta channel back and hope that it will allow everyone to contribute to making GMS2 even better even faster.

Jack S

Beta IDE Release Notes
Beta Runtime Release Notes
Beta Opt-In FAQ
 (How to get on the Beta Channel)

This topic is for the discussion of issues relating to the update of GameMaker Studio 2. However, this does not replace our normal bug reporting system and you should report all bugs as normal using https://www.yoyogames.com/bug

2.2.2 sees a major update to our Spine support, an update to our font functionality, and changes to handling audio on HTML5 (especially iOS and Android browsers). Plus, more stability fixes and extra dialogues to better inform you of system issues. With 2.2.2 beta releases, we're especially keen for feedback on the following key areas. For those key areas we have created a different thread for each linked below, please discuss each change in its respected thread.

For everything else and general issues related to 2.2.2 please discuss here.

Spine Runtime Update: https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.php?threads/gms2-spine-runtime-update-2-2-2.58933/

Font Editor / Font Support Update: https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.php?threads/gms2-font-update-2-2-2.58934/

HTML5 Audio: https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.php?threads/gms2-html5-audio-2-2-2.58935/

The new Facebook extension is not on the Marketplace during the beta period, but can be downloaded here: iOS, Android and HTML5: Integrating Facebook

Latest IDE v2.2.2.393 Runtime v2.2.2.308

New in IDE 393
  • Fixed a number of stability issues for high CPU usage and crashes caused by the new syntax-checker - also added a new Preference for if you want to turn this off (Languages > GML > "Enable variable reference warnings")
  • Changed the syntax warnings to use a different icon in the gutter, etc., so they stand out more from normal errors
  • Fixed an issue with unterminated strings or comments inside regions causing syntax-checker issues
  • Another fix for no macOS VM icon being seen after submitting to the App Store
  • Fixed building Ubuntu YYC when your code has characters from the extended ASCII range
  • Fixed the dialog for renaming a folder to be a duplicate name, so now the duplicated name is mentioned in the dialog
  • Fixed a resource tree issue where reordering items could sometimes break them out of their resource type and add them to the very bottom of the tree
  • Fixed an issue with the project repair tool not saving its fix properly, and so trying to run the game complained about missing resources which the IDE could see fine

New in Runtime 308
  • Made YYC ignore empty scripts the same as VM does, stops in-game code error
  • Fixed an issue with virtual keys firing twice per touch on iOS
  • Fixed a number of issues with strings - being equal to 0 in the last runtime, and 3 x "9" not resulting in "999"
  • Fixed ternary operators not working in YYC
  • Fixed the runner not starting if you are using the WARP software renderer
  • Fixed/Changed ffmpeg to ignore video or image streams in audio files to stop ogg conversion errors (but we would always say to remove these streams anyway...)
  • Fixed iOS YYC builds failing if you have included push notification support
  • Fixed an asset compiler error if a single large sprite fills an entire texture page and doesn't leave enough space for the border to be applied

First Beta release v2.2.2.390 and Runtime v2.2.2.302 - Please update to the version above!

I just read the tech blog ...

No NO NOOOOO

STRONG TYPING PLEASE. DO NOT AUTO CONVERT.

FFS.....

Sorry for the caps but FFS. NO.

What sort of pants on head is this. Consistency is good. But we need stronger type casting not weaker. Weak type casting is where half of all bugs come from.

Please stop this poorly thought out dumbness.

Dmi7ry

+1 to previous message.
Why did you choose this way?

Previously, the runtime was quite inconsistent in how it handled variables which were being used as a number but were actually strings - some functions internally converted them to numbers or just defaulted to the value being 0, while some errored, and others just silently continued with incorrect values.
it was one of the reasons and now it will be only the way? Please, no. Why can't you just throw an error when operating different types (including comparsion)?

Weak type casting is where half of all bugs come from
And such bugs are hard to find. You even may not know that your code works wrong.

Last edited:
And such bugs are hard to find. You even may not know that your code works wrong.
That's the biggest problem for me. I've worked with the same code base for over 5 years now, and only after updating to 2.2.2 did GMS finally catch a bug (by crashing when the game tried to convert a full string to an integer) that I had in my game that has been there since the first week of development. Who knows how many bugs there are in my games that I'll never know about?

On the other hand, YYC still hard crashes without an error for a reason I haven't been able to figure out, and considering the game has nearly 300k lines of code at this point, I doubt I'll ever figure it out.

Ricardo

Hey @Dan! Will we have a new 2.2.2 beta release soon? There are two specific issues (1, 2) that are flagged as solved in Mantis and my team REALLY need them to reach a deadline on March 15.

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Yes, you will - we're just pulling this together at the mo, so shouldn't be too much longer. No fixed/promised date yet.

Tsa05

I wonder, in light of the many reactions to the auto-convert casing thing, whether YYG would consider having a degugger log line that notifies us when the behaviour occurs? So there'd be like:
Warning, converted a string at line 32 of obj_player:Step0 from "1snarbleBlarble" to real value: 1

And if it's logging too much, I suppose it could be set to mute warnings? Would possibly be a wondrous addition, since it would basically use the newfound "convert, not crash" ability to inform the dev of exactly where and how a possible issue occurred?

spinout

I'm not sure about anyone else, but I am unable to build iOS on any version of 2.2.2.
It gets stuck on building (in xcode) on every attempt. A roll back to 2.2.1 always fixes this.

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
I'm not sure about anyone else, but I am unable to build iOS on any version of 2.2.2.
It gets stuck on building (in xcode) on every attempt. A roll back to 2.2.1 always fixes this.
We can certainly build iOS VM and YYC, so please report this and send us a compiler log attached to your ticket.

S

Sam (Deleted User)

(taken from the announcement)

What's next, you're gonna tell me that if (-1) evaluates to true? (Well, used to... but I never forget... :p)

Obligatory sass aside, I'm happy to see the beta channel back and hope that it will allow everyone to contribute to making GMS2 even better even faster.
Yeah that would make more sense considering that's how most languages on planet earth work. Anything that is not zero should evaluate to true in any sane language. GM is the only one I'm aware of that doesn't work like this. In Visual Basic, VBScript, and JScript, the True/true variable when shown in an alert() or MsgBox when converted to any number data type you will actually see -1, not positive 1, which is the opposite of the C++ variable evaluation for true. But that's just the variable, I'm not talking about when it's used in an if or while statement.

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
To clarify, I was poking fun at it because letting -1 or any other negative integer evaluate to true is impractical in GML, since a lot of functions rely on returning negative values to indicate various states of failure (which is a problem by itself, if you ask me, but I'm not the one to call the shots).
Personally, I'd prefer anything but boolean values (of a boolean data type) to throw an error message when used in a boolean expression, but again, same thing as above.

spinout

We can certainly build iOS VM and YYC, so please report this and send us a compiler log attached to your ticket.
Hey Dan. I did eventually get this to work. It stalls our for nearly 40 minutes then finished off. It might be one of the extensions I am using. Sorry for causing any concern.

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
New beta release out now (IDE v2.2.2.399 and Runtime v2.2.2.312) - https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.php?threads/gms2-version-2-2-2-beta-release.58932/ (first post in this thread)

FYI, we have also updated the Google Play Services extension on the Marketplace today in order to stop the compile issues when trying to use this extension with some other Google ones AND to remove the Google+ call when doing cloud saving, as per the FAQ https://help.yoyogames.com/hc/en-us...ices-extension-to-remove-the-Google-component. Due to the path lengths for some of Google's source files now, GMS2 2.2.1 and older can't import the Java source files from the Marketplace extension properly, so you will need to use 2.2.2 IDE to import the extension. However, once imported, you should be able to use these with 2.2.1 runtimes if you really need to do this.

We are also just about to update the Google Play Push Notifications extension so it supports Firebase. For this one, you WILL need to use 2.2.2 runtimes as well as 2.2.2 IDE.

Last edited:

Mert

New beta release out now (IDE v2.2.2.399 and Runtime v2.2.2.312) - https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.php?threads/gms2-version-2-2-2-beta-release.58932/ (first post in this thread)

FYI, we have also updated the Google Play Services extension on the Marketplace today in order to stop the compile issues when trying to use this extension with some other Google ones AND to remove the Google+ call when doing cloud saving, as per the FAQ https://help.yoyogames.com/hc/en-us...ices-extension-to-remove-the-Google-component. You don't need 2.2.2 to use these extensions, but if you have issues in older GMS2 versions we'd recommend using 2.2.2 as the first thing to try.

We are also just about to update the Google Play Push Notifications extension so it supports Firebase. For this one, you WILL need to use 2.2.2 runtimes.
Welcome to the party, we've already done that for you guys. (FREE & Open Source and kept updated by the community). Firebase Cloud Messaging is just finished and fully customizable in my extension, will release it this week along with remote configs :)

Plus, you can use it with GMS1x and 2

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
That's awesome! We love it when the community make/manage/maintain/extend third-party extensions, as that is a key reason why we made them extensions unbundled from the runner ;)

I

immortalx

Has the IDE v2.2.2.401 been removed? The link in the first post links to IDE v2.2.2.399. I hope I'm not going nuts because I'm sure I downloaded it the other day in my home PC :confused: Unless it's a DNS issue of my provider. Can someone please check if he/she gets the link to 401?
The strange thing is, I'm in my work PC right now on 399 and I can't even get to launch GMS2. No errors, no GMS process. That's the first time I have something like this happening, which makes me believe it must be a YYG server downtime?

I

immortalx

That's the link I'm following @Dmi7ry, however it leads me to 399. If you're able to see and download 401, then it must be some DNS issue on my end.

I

immortalx

Thank you very much @Dmi7ry, it seems I'm seeing a cached version of the page. I'll clear my cache or try again later.

Andrey

At all launch not can 401
Crashes with error:

APPCRASH
GameMakerStudio.exe
KERNELBASE.dll

393 Starts well...
What could be the problem?

Windows 7, SP1, 64 bit

Carnivius

Crashes with error:

APPCRASH
GameMakerStudio.exe
KERNELBASE.dll

393 Starts well...

Windows 7, SP1, 64 bit
I can't run it either. Same KERNELBASE.dll issue and I'm on Windows 10 64-bit.
393 doesn't work for me either though. Same result.

Last edited:

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Can you guys try the new 406, please? Not sure what the actuall issue is, but coincidentally we've today had one staff machine show the same issue with trying to run 401 after installing, but that machine could install and run 405 fine.

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
And on that note... Beta 5 (IDE v2.2.2.406 with Runtime v2.2.2.320) is rolling-out now, so you should be prompted to update in the not-too-distant future.

I

immortalx

I don't know if it's related to the KERNELBASE.DLL issue, but there's another thread where users reported GMS2 not launching. It happened to me too, and I just tried 406 and it launched normally.
P.S. I really appreciate the effort you put in rolling updates so frequently in the beta channel.

chmod777

Can you guys try the new 406, please? Not sure what the actuall issue is, but coincidentally we've today had one staff machine show the same issue with trying to run 401 after installing, but that machine could install and run 405 fine.
Thanks, this is working well now. :)

Also I've just seen that layer_sprite_get_yscale() was returning the xscale value in HTML5. I know I should file a bug but since it's just a typo...

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Just so we're clear - you guys have been able to use 401 fine since last Friday, but it suddenly broke today, yes?

I

immortalx

For me it was today with 401. But the same happened with 399 a couple of days ago, to me and a couple of other users. I hope that helps @Dan

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Yes, it does - that's actually exactly what I "wanted" to hear (including that 399 broke a few days ago also).

Ricardo

Same here. 401 doesn't start no matter what. Gonna try to install the new beta. Edit: 406 works.

Last edited:

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Yeah, we have now confirmed an issue and will fix asap. You will find that 393 still works, 399 and 401 are dead now, and 406 will work. However, 406 will actually die in a week's time, so we will ensure a sorted release is out well before then ;)

Crashes with error:

APPCRASH
GameMakerStudio.exe
KERNELBASE.dll

393 Starts well...

Windows 7, SP1, 64 bit
I just want to add that my 401 was working fine for the last few days, but just now closed and restarted it to check for the latest update notification, and now I'm getting the same error. Restarting computer didn't help. GMS 2 crashes within a second or two of trying to start it, doesn't even load the beginnings of the IDE or splashscreen.

Going to try and download the latest build to see if that works.

Andrey

However, 406 will actually die in a week's time, so we will ensure a sorted release is out well before then ;)
wow, this is a very intriguing bug. Will there be a stable beta released before the release? I don't want to leave beta.

Dmi7ry

I just want to add that my 401 was working fine for the last few days, but just now closed and restarted it to check for the latest update notification, and now I'm getting the same error.
Same here. 1-2 days ago it worked fine but today I got the same problem.
I downloaded 406 and it works.

Last edited:
As already confirmed 406 is working for me also.

However, 406 will actually die in a week's time, so we will ensure a sorted release is out well before then ;)
A limited life-span...?!?!? ...so all those moments of programming will be lost in time, like tears in the rain... :)

It's cool though, being a beta and such, comes with the territory.

G

Annnd I just hit the "can't open thing" too. I was sitting a few versions back. I know beta means things can be broken, but I didn't expect forced updates. YYG needs to stop with that 💩💩💩💩, whether for beta or stable or ever. Their energy into stopping piracy should go into building a better product that more people will want to buy. This is one more unfortunate consequence of their decision to turn a quick buck on each copy sold (with no investment in any user's future) rather than profit off their ecosystem or successful companies that use their engine, as other engine developers do.

I

immortalx

Well let's be fair here. Say what you will about longtime bugs, features that should have been here years ago, the "consistency" case, and so on. I'm all for it and find it as frustraiting as with other applications through the years that have done the same thing.
However, I believe that noone can deny the fact that the beta channel was the best YYG move. Imagine having to wait years before getting your hands on a new version, and in some cases, not knowing what to expect.
I can see at least two big benefits (apart from helping finding bugs) of having betas inbetween stable releases:
-The abillity of having access to fixes/features NOW. Users in the forums have reported that they switched to a beta for their game release, just because of a fix.
-The community can steer YYG (if they're willing to listen) to the right direction before it is too late. There are sometimes things software companies do, that are difficult to undo. These are cases where they are designing their next "big thing", put countless man-hours into it, release it after two years, and have users throw stones to them because it turned out to be a bad idea. The earlier they face criticism for such decisions, the better.

Sorry for the long rant guys, I just wanted to share some thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.