• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows Crashing? Before program starts

R

riceburner

Hey, I've submitted a bug report but am getting a bit frustrated as this problem has persisted for quite some time. When opening gamemaker studio 2, the cursor shows something happening but then abruptly stops. Nothing is written to the ui.log (My guess is that it doesn't get far enough), Previously I used the steam version of gms2 - now neither the steam or standalone windows version work. I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling of both versions, changing install location, trying compatibility options and running as administrator. My user account is the only one on the computer and is the sole administrator. I've tried using group policy editor to add allow rules, also deleting every trace of gms2 from the registry when uninstalling. I've disabled all windows security and I don't have any anti-malware/virus protection programs running. I'm at my wits end and I'm not sure what else I can do. My graphics card, sound and all other drivers are up to date. Windows 10 latest update as of 11/03/2019 Home edition. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970. Gamemaker studio 1.4 steam edition currently works fine still.

If there's any other information I can supply that might help, let me know.
If anyone has any ideas of a solution short of doing a fresh windows install, that would be great.
I'd just like to work on my game. :(

Thanks!

Dmi7ry

1. Some library or framework may be missed
2. You may have installed something old what "overwrites" path to required library / framework (i.e. then old version used instead of new)

P.S. Also try to load OS in the safe mode (with network) and install & run GMS.

R

riceburner

1. Some library or framework may be missed
2. You may have installed something old what "overwrites" path to required library / framework (i.e. then old version used instead of new)

P.S. Also try to load OS in the safe mode (with network) and install & run GMS.
Thanks for the reply! I've just tried safe mode with networking. Uninstalled and run gms, however the problem persists.
What you said about libraries/framework, could this be a visual studio related thing? Microsoft visual c++ libraries? Should i go about messing with them?

Dmi7ry

What you said about libraries/framework, could this be a visual studio related thing? Microsoft visual c++ libraries? Should i go about messing with them?
I think 95% that you just have incompatible library/framework/driver (too old or too new version, 32bit/64bit, etc), or you don't have it at all. I don't know what exactly libraries GMS requires, maybe tech support can answer it.

A few months ago I updated my computer. And I remember, that one programm didn't work. I updated one driver (removed 64-bit version and installed 32-bit version; although I have 64-bit CPU, 64-bit OS, etc) and the problem gone (I don't remember what exactly the driver was).

Another problem I once encountered was that a game engine was not working for me. Later I realized that a library required by this engine is taken from a completely different folder. I had installed some ancient version of Lua (it was installed with some kind of development environment) and PATH to it was checked before the path to the actual version of the library. After I deleted this old version, it all worked.

P.S. Are you sure that ui.log contains nothing? `%programdata%\GameMakerStudio2` ?
You can also use Process Monitor to capture all filesystem activity and see if there are any tips there.
P.P.S. If nothing help and you have enough empty space on HDD, you can try to make a new partition on HDD, install Windows there, install drivers and install GMS and check, if it works.

C

carbonphry

I am having this same problem where launching my GMS2 does nothing. I have no ui.log, it doesn't exist in my folders. I linked my steam account and game maker 2 studio works perfectly fine on steam. However, there is no beta channel on steam and I need that.
Any ideas on how to fix this problem without having to partition my hard drive?

EDIT: I found my UI.log, it was in a hidden folder. I'm not sure how to paste the whole thing here, however

Last edited by a moderator:

Dmi7ry

EDIT: I found my UI.log, it was in a hidden folder. I'm not sure how to paste the whole thing here, however
Delete old ui.log, then run GMS and then share the file using dropbox or paste on pastebin.com or any other similar service.
Although it's doesn't cancel that you need to report about your problem to tech support.

C

carbonphry

Delete old ui.log, then run GMS and then share the file using dropbox or paste on pastebin.com or any other similar service.
Although it's doesn't cancel that you need to report about your problem to tech support.
I deleted it, and came back to the folder to get it but it is not being created at all, no matter how many times I try and reinstal/ open GMS2. I have contacted support. :/ quite strange this problem

Dmi7ry

I deleted it, and came back to the folder to get it but it is not being created at all, no matter how many times I try and reinstal/ open GMS2. I have contacted support. :/ quite strange this problem
If ui.log not created at all, it may be:
1. You see a wrong directory. Is this hidden %programdata%\GameMakerStudio2 ?
2. You have broken package (installer). Have you tried re-download installer? Have you tried download older version?
3. Something blocks GMS (antivirus, etc).

Also open Windows' task manager and check, what happens with GMS (maybe the process is still in memory and just frozen or waiting something, etc)

C

carbonphry

I FIXED IT!!
I followed a fresh install tutorial where you delete all the keys in regedit.

This is from Yoyogames Kevin:
Run the uninstaller first:

• If you are using the standalone client you will need to open Settings > Apps (or, if you're oldskool, Control Panel > "Programs and Features") and uninstall GMS2 as you would any other application.
  • If you are using GameMaker Studio 2 through Steam you will need to navigate to your Steam Library and right click on GameMaker Studio 2 to select 'Uninstall...'
After the uninstaller has finished, delete the following two folders:

• %ProgramData%\GameMakerStudio2
  • %AppData%\GameMakerStudio2
If you are unsure how to find these, as they may be hidden on your PC, copy the line above and paste it into an Explorer address bar or the Run command and hit enter.

Open Regedit through Start -> Run and typing in "regedit". Navigate the tree to find and delete the following keys (searching for GameMakerStudio2 is easiest):

• HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\GameMakerStudio2
  • HKEY_USERS\ <BIG NUMBER> \Software\GameMakerStudio2
Then I did a fresh install, and it worked.