• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE Sorting Resources Tree

T

tagomago

Hi,

I'm sure I'm missing something pretty simple but I can't find a way to sort the Resources Tree (ie. alphabetical order). Is there a way to do this? Because once you get dozens of hundreds of resources it's getting messy.

Kind regards

T

tagomago

Thank you for your reply. I haven't.
I'm trying to simply sort the items on the Resources Tree in alphabetical order:

Attachments

hippyman

There's no automatic sorting function if that's what you're looking for. It could be possible when they eventually give us a plugin/extension API for the IDE.
Right now you have to manually move them if you want them to be in alphabetical order.

T

tagomago

There's no automatic sorting function if that's what you're looking for. It could be possible when they eventually give us a plugin/extension API for the IDE.
Right now you have to manually move them if you want them to be in alphabetical order.
... good lord ...

rIKmAN

It does make you wonder why so much basic functionality is missing from the IDE.
This, find and replace etc - they aren't exactly cutting edge features but they are very useful.

T

tagomago

I saw a feature request about this on YYG Bugtracker, and have a high priority, so this should come at some point: http://bugs.yoyogames.com/view.php?id=21227 . Those which aren't planning in next few months have a comment "not before 2.1", so there is a chance this will come before end of year :)
That's great to know, thank you for pointing that out gnysek. Like rIKmAN mentioned, it's a basic functionality that is surely missed by many.

P

Pudsy

That's great to know, thank you for pointing that out gnysek. Like rIKmAN mentioned, it's a basic functionality that is surely missed by many.
When I started using GMS2, I stumbled around for a while with this, wondering if something was wrong with my right-click menu, or maybe the feature had been re-named to something obscure... so I re-read all the options on the right-click menu carefully... but nope, no "Sort" of any kind.

It does seem an odd omission / oversight, given that it shouldn't be the most complex thing to implement... especially when the GMS2 IDE has stomped all over that of GMS1 in many ways. Maybe it was there & it's gone missing due to a bug.

Anyway... good to hear it's on the radar somewhere! Hopefully it'll make 2.0.6
Thanks!

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
Being a full rewrite, It's not gone missing - it was just never added! File a bug and someone will look into it.

We just didn't notice, and no one filed it so.... *shrug*

Won't make it into the next one I doubt. it'll have to get scheduled up.

P

Pudsy

Thanks @Mike. Admittedly, it's not exactly critical & I doubt many coders were found slumped over their keyboards as a result of it's absence. Just odd it wasn't there.

@gnysek pointed out above that there's already a "high priority" bug logged, so presumably that should do it?
I saw a feature request about this on YYG Bugtracker, and have a high priority, so this should come at some point: http://bugs.yoyogames.com/view.php?id=21227 . Those which aren't planning in next few months have a comment "not before 2.1", so there is a chance this will come before end of year :)

P

Pudsy

Good stuff!

I wonder if there'd be any sense in a (project-specific, or IDE preference?) toggle setting to auto-sort the resource tree?
It would just need to update the order after any additions/renames, including nested folders.

Perhaps it would need to exclude the "rooms", since the order matters more there (especially the 1st one!).
Another way around that issue might be to have it toggle-able per resource type (or folder/group), perhaps on the right-click menu?

gnysek

I think that may be a thing to made by custom plugin when IDE API will be published. For example in my game, order of objects and sounds also have a sense, as things are generated using ids between them, so automatic sorting is also a bad thing, and adding an option to optionally sort optional resource parts is a bad... option ? :p There' a lot of more things more important to add I think - check http://bugs.yoyogames.com/ and see how many great features are suggested there!

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
In GMS1, it was a right click open on the node. I'd guess we'll do that so you'll only get it when you want select it.

P

Pudsy

Yeah, sounds good.

As @gnysek says, I'm sure YYG have more important things on their plate for the time being!

I suppose at some point in the future (or if it's possible via IDE API), I'd like to see on the right-click menu for each node...
Sort by name
□ Auto-sort

Auto-sort would be disabled by default for all nodes, with the exception being that if you create a new folder/group, it would inherit the current setting of the parent. So it shouldn't cause anyone any issues or break any code unless someone enables it for a node.

K

Kroan

I know this is sort of necro-post.... but is there any news on this? I'm tripping balls over here because my resources are not sorted by name. Partly because reordering the nodes yourself is a huge pain as well because of a bug that makes the resource jump to the root when dropping.

And yes, I made an account just to ask for this. It's THAT important to me :|

rIKmAN

I know this is sort of necro-post.... but is there any news on this? I'm tripping balls over here because my resources are not sorted by name. Partly because reordering the nodes yourself is a huge pain as well because of a bug that makes the resource jump to the root when dropping.

And yes, I made an account just to ask for this. It's THAT important to me :|
It's not ideal, but the bug that makes the resource jump to the root only happens when you drop the dragged item onto the top half of another item. If you drag it onto the bottom half it works as it should.

As I said, not ideal but it's the best we have until it gets fixed.

Last edited:
I

inkwell

Just upgraded to 2 from 1.4 and it's been mostly smooth but this is one of the features I'm missing the most. My project is a MESS!

A

Alwaysusa

Hi, relatively new user here - but been in the games industry for over a decade and used a ton of engines.

Loving GMS2 so far but the resource tree is probably the most frustrating thing about it. As soon as your project grows to a decent size the tree becomes very hard to navigate. Part of the problem is that you have to scroll constantly. A simple fix (in theory - no idea about in practice of course) would be a folder window for the asset types (sprite, sound, object), and a different window for the contents of those categories. That would avoid the need to constantly expand and collapse the resource tree. Unreal does this very well, and I've worked on projects in that engine with thousands of assets. We're up to about 50 in our GMS2 project and it's already cumbersome.

F

FormalCloud

I must admit, it is rather frustrating and unfortunately the suggestion has been known for a year+ but we've yet to see anything on it. Folks with large projects (such as myself) need to simply plan carefully and realize that the resource tree is just a tedious thing right now.

In the meantime, we are left to 'sort our own' as it were. ;)

Jobo

GMC Elder
The resource tree has search functionality you can use if you want to go to a particular resource.
If you just want to open the resource for editing, I suggest using Go To by pressing Ctrl+T.

In the meantime, we are left to 'sort our own' as it were.
Personally I don't understand why you wouldn't structure your resources in a way that makes sense to you... This is no different from putting files in folders in your operating system.

(1) That would avoid the need to constantly expand and collapse the resource tree. (2) Unreal does this very well, and I've worked on projects in that engine with thousands of assets.
1) You wouldn't be expanding the resource tree, you would just be expanding folders instead. It's exactly the same deal - see GMS2's Asset Explorer below.
2) The content browser is a problem area of focus for Epic so that would suggest that it's not "doing it very well", and they added functionality to "favorite" folders in UE 4.19 because their own internal teams were getting frustrated having to navigate it on projects like Fortnite.

(Asset Explorer)

Hi, relatively new user here - but been in the games industry for over a decade and used a ton of engines.

Loving GMS2 so far but the resource tree is probably the most frustrating thing about it. As soon as your project grows to a decent size the tree becomes very hard to navigate. Part of the problem is that you have to scroll constantly. A simple fix (in theory - no idea about in practice of course) would be a folder window for the asset types (sprite, sound, object), and a different window for the contents of those categories. That would avoid the need to constantly expand and collapse the resource tree. Unreal does this very well, and I've worked on projects in that engine with thousands of assets. We're up to about 50 in our GMS2 project and it's already cumbersome.
Not sure if this is exactly what you are looking for, but have you tried using Project Views? You can setup multiple resource tree views, each in their own panel, customised to only show resources of a certain type (sprites, objects etc...)

You can find more details near the bottom of this docs page : http://docs2.yoyogames.com/index.html?page=source/_build/1_overview/2_quick_start/4_resources.html

F

FormalCloud

Personally I don't understand why you wouldn't structure your resources in a way that makes sense to you... This is no different from putting files in folders in your operating system.
Oh, I do and my OS has the ability to sort by name and it's something from GMS1 I would like to see carried over. That being said, let's take a look at structuring our resources in this gif I have provided. Even using the 'wait' technique it doesn't always work and it's very hit or miss. Here is moving a simple script around and imagine doing this with a project that has 100's of resource objects and trying not to spend more time than needed simply organizing things.

rIKmAN

Oh, I do and my OS has the ability to sort by name and it's something from GMS1 I would like to see carried over. That being said, let's take a look at structuring our resources in this gif I have provided. Even using the 'wait' technique it doesn't always work and it's very hit or miss. Here is moving a simple script around and imagine doing this with a project that has 100's of resource objects and trying not to spend more time than needed simply organizing things.

Yeah the resource tree bug is annoying, but should be fixed in the next update.

In the meantime you can try and remember to only drop things in the bottom half of the destination entry, because if you drop it with the cursor in the top half then the item shoots to the top of the tree like in your gif.

I wish they had hotfixed this instead of having to wait 3-4mths and try and remember the 'drop on the bottom half' rule.

F

FormalCloud

Yeah the resource tree bug is annoying, but should be fixed in the next update.

In the meantime you can try and remember to only drop things in the bottom half of the destination entry, because if you drop it with the cursor in the top half then the item shoots to the top of the tree like in your gif.

I wish they had hotfixed this instead of having to wait 3-4mths and try and remember the 'drop on the bottom half' rule.
It's not the end of the world but a simple underline/overline + highlight combo (which most resource trees use) is an intuitive and common way to show where the thing is about to drop. Bugs excluded of course.

A

Alwaysusa

Not sure if this is exactly what you are looking for, but have you tried using Project Views? You can setup multiple resource tree views, each in their own panel, customised to only show resources of a certain type (sprites, objects etc...)

You can find more details near the bottom of this docs page : http://docs2.yoyogames.com/index.html?page=source/_build/1_overview/2_quick_start/4_resources.html
Thanks Bones! I forgot to watch this thread and have been trying to figure out work-arounds for the various source control issues we're finding.

I glanced at the docs you linked before and probably should have dug a bit deeper. I guess I'm so used to Unreal and Unity already having an easy to navigate system for large content folders that I gave up too quickly. I'll try as you suggested :)

A

Alwaysusa

2) The content browser is a problem area of focus for Epic so that would suggest that it's not "doing it very well", and they added functionality to "favorite" folders in UE 4.19 because their own internal teams were getting frustrated having to navigate it on projects like Fortnite.
We'll have to agree to disagree on that one. I've used 4 engines extensively in my career (Call of Duty Radiant, Frostbite, Unreal, Unity) and several projects on proprietary engines - and Unreal by far has the easiest content management system of the lot. There are issues and they're constantly resolving them - through community feedback and a fairly open minded approach. Your engine, your call. You do you.

Your suggestion to get into using the GOTO feature looks like it will make things easier. I'll adopt that habit. Thank you!

K

kakatoto

Hi,

I'm sure I'm missing something pretty simple but I can't find a way to sort the Resources Tree (ie. alphabetical order). Is there a way to do this? Because once you get dozens of hundreds of resources it's getting messy.

Kind regards
Being a full rewrite, It's not gone missing - it was just never added! File a bug and someone will look into it.

We just didn't notice, and no one filed it so.... *shrug*

Won't make it into the next one I doubt. it'll have to get scheduled up.
This message has been in march 2017. More than one years later, we still do NOT have this functionnality. What the hell ?

bml

Please. After my project was corrupted I lost all my groups and ordering. I have 1226 sprites and 247 scripts in random order now.

Dmi7ry

Please. After my project was corrupted I lost all my groups and ordering. I have 1226 sprites and 247 scripts in random order now.
It's good time to start using a version control system.

P.S. I very often used the feature in GMS 1.x, so I also miss it.

Jobo

GMC Elder
This functionality will come as we continue to refine the resource tree, but not tomorrow :rolleyes: We are currently working on improving the resource tree as a whole.

Tornado

You can sort manually, by whatever criteria you like. For me, sorting alphabetically would bring me zero benefit. We have 366 objects in our project and it was never an issue. Just organize your objects into subfolders in the tree, that is more important.

Dmi7ry

You can sort manually, by whatever criteria you like. For me, sorting alphabetically would bring me zero benefit. We have 366 objects in our project and it was never an issue. Just organize your objects into subfolders in the tree.
This feature does not automatically sort the entire resource tree. This is just an option (RMB menu) to sort the selected group. For example, how about 1.5 thousand scripts (and just couple objects)? Of course, they are placed in many different groups. But even within one group, it's easier to find the script when names are sorted.

Jobo

GMC Elder
Opening specific resources is a lot faster if you get in the habit of using Go To (Ctrl + T)