Distribution Exe might not be safe...

ayrenn

So when i compile the game into an exe and give the exe to my friends to test it says that the exe is not safe and they have to press ignore and install anyways button and i wonder how does one remove the exe is not safe popup. Thanks in advance:) I want to make sure the popup thing is removed before i send the game to any potential publishers

link to game download. this is not me advertising the game, the game is gonna cost money and this is free semi full version.
https://aregan-games.itch.io/covenant-of-slayers

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
short answer: You dont, its just how exe files work with antivirus, i don't recommend telling your computer to turn off alerting you

long answer: Its got to do with how the game is compiled, technically its an unknown exe without proper registration stuff to make it appear safe to your computer so your computer is going to pitch and moan about it, but still I dont recommend turning these alerts off, just make sure to tell your friends its safe and Im sure any smart publisher will not care about the popup seeing as its an exe for a game, and not some random email about free money from Nigeria

O.Stogden

It's to do with apps not recognized by Microsoft.

Smartscreen connects to MS servers and asks about the app you're running, if MS hasn't got it logged, then your PC warns you.

It doesn't happen with popular apps because they've been used enough to be reported safe to MS.

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
A publisher worth their salt wouldn't be scared by "popularity heuristic" warnings like that, especially for a project in the middle of a proposal.

ayrenn

short answer: You dont, its just how exe files work with antivirus, i don't recommend telling your computer to turn off alerting you

long answer: Its got to do with how the game is compiled, technically its an unknown exe without proper registration stuff to make it appear safe to your computer so your computer is going to pitch and moan about it, but still I dont recommend turning these alerts off, just make sure to tell your friends its safe and Im sure any smart publisher will not care about the popup seeing as its an exe for a game, and not some random email about free money from Nigeria
It's to do with apps not recognized by Microsoft.

Smartscreen connects to MS servers and asks about the app you're running, if MS hasn't got it logged, then your PC warns you.

It doesn't happen with popular apps because they've been used enough to be reported safe to MS.
A publisher worth their salt wouldn't be scared by "popularity heuristic" warnings like that, especially for a project in the middle of a proposal.
thanks so much and appreciate the humor<3

Last edited by a moderator:
N

NoobDev

Would this popup go away if a code signing key were purchased and used to sign the executable?

I

iBlackpen

Would this popup go away if a code signing key were purchased and used to sign the executable?
I'm interested in finding this out as well. I'm not of fan of the popup and it does scare some people off when they do see it.

D

Deleted member 13992

I think the OS checks for more than just the sign key, such as file size, CRC/checksum, file hash, that sort of thing. Otherwise what's stopping malicious developers from appending an already-existing key to one of their viruses?

YanBG

Since you can release it on Steam, shouldn't be a problem for most people.

For publishers and testers, you can compile a zip. Single exe is a bad call anyway, when you sell it, should be an installer.

jeff300

There is a lot of misinformation in this thread. If you want your executables to be trusted by the OS, they must be code signed. There is plenty of information on the web about how to code sign a Windows executable. GMS has the capability to digitally sign Mac executables, but not Windows ones for some bizarre reason. One must use a third party tool such as SignTool, VisualStudio, or one of the more advanced install makers.