GMC Jam Discussion The Classic GMC Jam 32 - 8 year anniversary

S

SamSam

The noose is tightening, so I picked the ultimate 466 544 word list, and there was only 75 survivors !

If you take the 466 544 words from the ultimate list and only keep the 8 characters ones wich have "o" as a second letter, "n" as a third letter and "t" as a last letter, you end up with the following 75 words :
bonaught
bonavist
bonewort
bongoist
bonniest
conflict
confract
confront
congreet
conjoint
conjunct
Connacht
Conneaut
conodont
Conquest
conspect
Constant
consumpt
contempt
contract
contrast
contrist
conusant
Donatist
donought
Fontanet
gonaduct
Goncourt
gondolet
honeypot
honewort
yondmost
Konariot
longboat
longfelt
Longmont
Longport
longroot
longshot
longwort
moniment
monocrat
monodist
monodont
monoglot
monomict
monotint
Montfort
monument
nonadept
nonadult
nonagent
nondeist
nonelect
nonevent
nonguilt
noninert
nonlicet
nonlicit
nonprint
nonshaft
nontrust
nonuplet
poncelet
pondwort
ponycart
rondelet
songfest
sonorant
sonsiest
tonalist
Tonasket
ton-foot
Wonacott
wonkiest

If you take the 58 000 words from this list and only keep the 8 characters ones wich have "o" as a second letter, "n" as a third letter and "t" as a last letter, you end up with the following 13 words :
bonniest
conflict
confront
conjoint
conjunct
conquest
constant
contempt
contract
contrast
longlost
monument
nonevent

If you take the 3000 most used english words and only keep the 8 characters ones wich have "o" as a second letter, "n" as a third letter and "t" as a last letter, you end up with the following 5 words !
conflict
confront
constant
contract
contrast

EDIT : I will place my bet on Contrast then :B

Last edited by a moderator:
C

CE Studios

So looking forward to taking part in this jam! This will be my second jam ever, and I can't wait to start working on something. I'm still on GM:S 1.4 but I'll do my best!

GameDevDan

Former Jam Host
GMC Elder
People seem to have figured out what all 8 pictures are - and the theme is one of those pictures... DUN DUN DUUUUUUUN!

I guess you'll all have to wait 4 days to see the TRUE THEME!

matharoo

manualman
GameMaker Dev.
6 Stages of GMC Jam (for me at least)

Announced: Uh, again?
15 days left: Hmm I guess I could make something
3 days left: BOI I'M EXCITED
Jam starts: my game is trash
Jam ends: my game is the best, it's definitely gonna win
Reviews out: my game is trash

C

Caoin Forde

First Year in computer science here, exactly no gamemaker experience and very limited programming experience but id love to give this a go, theme depending. Cant wait!

curato

First Year in computer science here, exactly no gamemaker experience and very limited programming experience but id love to give this a go, theme depending. Cant wait!
Look at a few of the DND tutorials between now and then. You can definitely get something going over a weekend. I am thinking of using it as an excuse for me to get used to GS2 myself. I am glad there weren't quite so many cool distractions when I studied computer science or I may not have made it.

dadio

Potato Overlord
GMC Elder
Sorry Misty, I beat you to it.
Dan was very smart with his last image clue.
If you squint your eyes *just right* you can clearly make out the ACTUAL THEME:

That's right.
None other than PONTATOT (that rare variety of beady eyed Welsh potato.)
Fire up your GM engines ladies and gentlemen!!!

Relic

My wife conveniently thought to take the kids to grandmas on Sunday. Need to squeeze out every minute of spare time I can! Hope to get a good 12-15 hours of computer time in.

Cool! I’ll be joining in!

I'd like to solve: CONFLICT

also Im in, My first GMC Jam!
1. Yeah
2. Don’t spoil
3. Me too!

People seem to have figured out what all 8 pictures are - and the theme is one of those pictures... DUN DUN DUUUUUUUN!

I guess you'll all have to wait 4 days to see the TRUE THEME!
Oooh,:rolleyes:

I see some specifically Greek things, as well as a viking boat (and the colors of the Swedish flag). Will think more about this.

I hope it’s contempt ( contempt fish - THE GAME )

6 Stages of GMC Jam (for me at least)

Announced: Uh, again?
15 days left: Hmm I guess I could make something
3 days left: BOI I'M EXCITED
Jam starts: my game is trash
Jam ends: my game is the best, it's definitely gonna win
Reviews out: my game is trash
You forgot
20 minutes before jam ends - I can squeeze a few more minutes in
Jam end - darn it I forgot to post

Where is the games topic?

Last edited by a moderator:

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
Don't worry, if the theme is contrast, you can use that as an excuse to make a game about insects with these highly contrasting black and yellow patterns. Then the puns follow naturally.

The M

Personally, I think contrast is one of the harder, more interesting themes and not at all generic. Imo, conflict would be a better example of a generic theme because of how broad it is.

Also, a game where altering the contrast level is a major part of gameplay would probably be very unique and interesting to play.

That's a pretty good point and I agree about Conflict being worse(probably said so already in here)
I'd like to try out a game like you've described but how many other unique ideas do you really think can be made from something like Contrast? I guess we will see haha

The M

@Siolfor the Jackal That's why it's such a tricky theme. You could probably work it into the narrative, have contrasting characters, or focus on opposite elements of some kind (for example a battle against an enormous boss where the contrast is its size compared to the player; or nature vs machines; bring a knife to a gunfight, etc).

Now, just wait for the actual theme to be "longboat" instead :)

Last edited:
I

iKiwed

Hello, my apologies for the late message, but I won't join the jam, they called me to work full time for the next three days.

John Andrews

Living Enigma
Nice I can finally participate in one of these and actually leave an entry! I'm also searching for an artist anyone interested contact me! I'm a programmer ;)

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
What I would like is for the theme to be CONSTANT, as this seems to give pretty interesting opportunities. Then again, the idea I have kinda works for CONTRAST, too. And I can't quite recall any game doing what my idea involves.

matharoo

manualman
GameMaker Dev.
What I would like is for the theme to be CONSTANT, as this seems to give pretty interesting opportunities. Then again, the idea I have kinda works for CONTRAST, too. And I can't quite recall any game doing what my idea involves.
Only use constants/macros and don't use any variables

T

TacticalCannonFodder

If not for the fact that they mentioned it was one of the four picture words, it could have been "LONGSHOT" which I think could have been a cool theme.