• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Unable to find output device "null"

B

Brandon Paris

Hey everyone, so I made the mistake of updating GMS and since have recieved the compiling error:

Unable to find output device "null" defaulting to "Speaker/HP (Realtek High Definition Audio) via DirectSound"

When I play my game, it seems to be clipping my sound effects. It's incredibly annoying. Does anyone know how I can fix this? I can't seem to find any option to set my output audio device to anything

Thanks!

Mick

I don't know how you can fix it other than downgrading GMS. The audio engine for Windows has changed in the newest version. From the release notes:
  • Aligned Windows runner to use our own custom audio engine, as already used on console platforms, UWP and macOS. Shouldn't notice any difference, but please cross check with your games.

I also made the mistake of updating GMS, and get the error [Unable to find output device "null" defaulting to "�X�s�[�J�[ (Sound Blaster Z) via DirectSound"]

Last edited:
D

Dawn DeerButt

ive started getting this error in my game and im not even using audio in my game yet

rIKmAN

This bug is killing me. Surely there must be a simple fix, it never used to do this.
What version of 1.4 are you using?
Are your sounds still being clipped or are are they playing normally but still giving the message?

This post seems to indicate it's only a diagnostic message and if sound is playing then things are normal.

Have you played around with the sound settings for the clips (compressed / uncompressed / streamed etc) or tried converting them to a different format (mp3/wav.ogg) to see if that changes anything?

If it's only a diagnostic message, it's no big deal. But Gamemaker crashes 80% of the time on Game End, even on empty projects. I thought it might be a related issue.