Player made-map creation in GameMaker- Is it possible

Hi all,

I'm creating a game (duh) with a few different maps. Is it possible for there to be a function that the players can create and share maps in the game? If there is, is there any tutorial on that subject?

I tried Google but no results, so I'm skeptical of this being possible.

Thanks!

chamaeleon

Hi all,

I'm creating a game (duh) with a few different maps. Is it possible for there to be a function that the players can create and share maps in the game? If there is, is there any tutorial on that subject?

I tried Google but no results, so I'm skeptical of this being possible.

Thanks!
You can dynamically create and destroy instances and tiles. You can send and receive data between games and servers. So, it stands to reason that it is possible to implement.

I tried Google and found useful results right away: https://www.google.com/search?q=level+editor+tutorial+gamemaker+studio

You should be more skeptical of your ability to use search engines than the possibility of something as routine in development as this.
Thanks.
I searched for things like "player map creation" and "user made map gamemaker" rather than a level editor cos I thought that those results would be for alternative level editors to GameMakers own.

Thanks anyway. I found this video thanks to you.

Thanks for your help

The answer to the question "Can GM do this?" is almost always "Yes." The real question that should be asked is "Am I good enough to get GM to do this?" and, more often than not, simply asking the question means no, you currently are not good enough to do it. You are only going to be limited by your current skill set, not by what GM can do.