• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Asset - Graphics Professional 2D Light System

L

lukbebalduke

Hey folks, how you doing?

I would like to share with you my newly published asset, Ultimate Light Engine, a powerful, fast and easy to use 2D Light system that can be implemented in your game - it can be a platformer, a top-down game, a puzzle or any type of game. This asset allows you to create multiple light sources - with a given alpha, color, and range - to create a beautiful and rich aesthetic.

ImagemShowcase1.png

Ultimate Light System features:

• Extremely easy to implement and edit the asset.
  • Multiple light sources with full customization.
  • Particle system integration for realistic results.
  • Changes and light edition inside the room editor.
  • Custom light shapes, sizes, intensity, color, and animation.

The system works perfectly with objects ( instead of limiting you to use tiles, as most of the other light systems would do), and dynamic lighting. You can rotate and scale your objects normally, and the rectangular mask of the sprite will be correctly considered when stopping the light rays.

I hope you guys enjoy it!

[Link to the marketplace]

Thanks in advance!

rIKmAN

Looks good, nice work.
You can rotate and scale your objects normally, and the rectangular mask of the sprite will be correctly considered when stopping the light rays.
Just for clarifcation on the wording - does that mean that even though you can rotate and scale objects, the lighting only works with rectangular shaped masks?

L

lukbebalduke

Looks good, nice work.

Just for clarification on the wording - does that mean that even though you can rotate and scale objects, the lighting only works with rectangular shaped masks?
Rectangular only. Although you can set up irregular shapes by coding.

Each collider as an array (with 4 lengths) in which every index holds an array with the values x and y of a given corner relative to the center.
The array is called corners, and it is defined as the object is created.

By altering those values you can set up irregular shapes. Doing this to set up triangles is fairly easy, but I do not advise to code complex shapes as it is time-consuming and the asset was not primarily made for that.
Do you guys consider a more automatic irregular shape set up an impactful and appealing feature?

B

bilouw

Hi!

First, congratulations for your job! i tried to make my own lighting system, but it's pretty difficult! I'm impressed by the way you managed your shadows. Did you use multiple surfaces with RGBA channel for the raycast? My system only work with 4 lights at times ... and my shader is not so good as your. What is the maximum number of lights that your engine can handle? Are they all calculated every frame or only the light present in the viewport? Finally, can i use your engine to cast shadow with simple tiles? (i think that is yes of course). I think i will buy your engine, because it's look very nice and i want to see the code behind this :).

Good job again!

L

lukbebalduke

I've been working in all my assets for the past few days, and I'm glad to announce that I've made a major update to Ultimate Light System.

To be honest, I didn't expect so many people to give overwhelmingly positive feedback. For that reason, I tried adding some of the requested features, while still maintaining the most charming aspect of the asset: it is super easy to set up.

You may also take a look at the updated documentation here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/i7iamxndkk23zjb/Ultimate Light System Documentation.pdf?dl=0

Ultimate Light System now supports all polygonal shapes, rotation and scaling done easily. A few changes also have been made to improve performance and memory usage. For those who already bought the asset, I hope you enjoy the update :)

I would love to hear what you think, for that reason I have also set up a survey where you can give critique and suggestions for further assets improvements: https://forms.gle/WHLcBNdiF9J7bKUQ8