• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Is Nintendo the most costly platform to develop games for?

I was told by a friend of mine that Nintendo has a really expensive developers license for game developers, and in addition the hardest for independent game developers to publish games with, but is it the most costly platform to develop games for compared to ( Microsoft ) X-box and ( Sony ) Playstation ?

M

Misu

False. That guy you call friend must be a "Sony scumbag"

Both Sony and Nintendo dont provide any cost on having a license.
However, their dev kits are what have prices and perhaps their publishing services as well. PS4 dev kit costs $2500 (except it can be lent if you run a highly recognize (famous) third party indie group). Nintendo on the other hand is around $450 on dev kit. Nothing more. Sometimes, you dont have to pay for the companies own publishing service. You can use third party publishers and the prices of those can vary for any console you are making for. So in the end, Nintendo is cheaper.

Now for microsoft,... that can vary a lot. It can be cheaper or more expensive than the others. Its not precise at all since it depends on what you do to build your game.

But warning. This info is a bit old (from 2017) so I dunno what is the status now on prices.

PS: Nintendo development is not difficult at all. Its a bit different compared to traditional game development but its not hard at all. Sure, it can be a bit tedious on making a damn ton of effects with high graphics because of its processing card but seriously, that doesnt mean its difficult. Tell me you cant make an Undertale for Switch... thats a game maker game and it was managed to be ported.

Last edited:
O

Otyugra

A New-3DS-exclusive dev unit costs 220 US dollars, I kid you not. That's 1/20th the cost of a PS4 dev kit if Misu is to be believed. That plus a free copy of Unity, and you have all you need to make games for a system that Nintendo still barely supports. I don't care how """"dead"""" the 3DS is, for 220 dollars sunk, you could earn that money back easy on a system with so little competition in the "what's new" section.