• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE Project file differences between OSX and Windows

D

DanjelRicci

We're working on a project using an OSX machine and a Windows one. Things work fine when using Git between the two machines, but there's a thing that's bugging me since the very beginning. Project files on OSX and Windows are technically identical, but every Value entry in the OSX project is filled with extra fields that are not in the Windows project file. This always generates a conflict when merging, and solving the diff is always a big mess because it's hard to find what really has changed (OSX project file is more than 13.000 lines and we're not even halfway the whole project)...
The project always works no matter if I keep the Values from the OSX or from the Windows file, so I'm wondering if there's a way to make these extra fields disappear, maybe some setting I missed.

Example of OSX entry:
"Key": "f76bf957-0a91-4d1d-8dfb-be3b8719bc33",
"Value": {
"id": "0f345795-b995-49a1-9fb3-65d7c4b09c9e",
"modelName": "GMResourceInfo",
"mvc": "1.0",
"configDeltaFiles": [

],
"configDeltas": [

],
"resourceCreationConfigs": [
"default"
],
"resourcePath": "objects\/obj_fx_spark\/obj_fx_spark.yy",
"resourceType": "GMObject"
}
Example of Windows entry:
"Key": "f76bf957-0a91-4d1d-8dfb-be3b8719bc33",
"Value": {
"id": "0f345795-b995-49a1-9fb3-65d7c4b09c9e",
"resourcePath": "objects\/obj_fx_spark\/obj_fx_spark.yy",
"resourceType": "GMObject"
}

The-any-Key

Couldn't you just all use Mac or all use pc? I would be a bit concerned for the future. What if a game maker update on pc or Mac breaks everything. Would not take the chance of using different ide systems for the same project.

Toque

Couldn't you just all use Mac or all use pc? I would be a bit concerned for the future. What if a game maker update on pc or Mac breaks everything. Would not take the chance of using different ide systems for the same project.
Wouldn’t that make it better? If Mac ide is broken you use windows. If windows is broken you can still use Mac?

Wouldn’t that reduce your risk?

Toque

I use a Mac so i hope you can find an answer. I would like to know if I could do joint work as most people here are windows. ........

P

Petr Skornok

We are working cross platform Mac / Windows and have the same issue while merging commits from git. So much unnecessary redundancy in yyp for Mac.

Jobo

GMC Elder
I took a gander at this and the extra fields you see on Mac are defaults that don't need to be written out. It is a bug on Mac that they are written out, and this is why you don't see them on Windows. It is safe to simply delete these defaults added by the Mac IDE, so I suggest doing that when resolving conflicts. We expect to resolve this issue in the coming months. I remind everyone who read this topic to please report bugs to the bug database and not on the forum so we can fix them