• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

input box

Y

yakmoon

hi, I'd like to thank the yoyo team for all the efforts it putting into making this engine better and better.
but..
I wonder how difficult and over the top and super challenging it is for the yoyogames team to add the simple functionality of input box where the user can input a text in it.
those people who suggest using get_string_async or get_string. please save your breath. you have no idea what I've been through.
it has been years since i started using GMS. and I've been waiting for this to be added, but it seems to me that my hope is going nowhere.

Tsa05

Wonder no more. I've done the wondering for you!
Check out this not-quite-fully-functional box:
https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.p...mproved-still-needs-optimization-ideas.42434/

It was way harder than I thought it would be. So difficult that people who did it better than me literally charge money to recoup their suffering:
https://marketplace.yoyogames.com/assets/5604/text-inputs-gm-studio-2

I, as you can see from the first thread linked, have been pining for this since I started GM (2003); but the trick about engines is that you always have to program the part that's missing for your game, and it seems that GMS is fated to always be missing that part~

Mert

Currently we have built-in virtual keyboard functionality(pops up system keyboard). All you have to do is to create some UI to handle these. I'm actually right now designing a "pick a nickname" screen for this.

Yoyo would never bring-in such support because;
  • Using predefined/system UI is simply ugly. I personally don't like seeing Winapi UI elements on games. Same goes for Android as well, considering each Android version uses different UI designs by default, I would simply make my own design. (Unless you're talking about native input area which can be mixed with your UI)
  • The current support for GMS2 allows you to make your own text boxes and this is very convenient and intended for games.
However, I would very want them for debugging purposes in my apps. Simply pop up some Android text boxes so that I can edit some variables on runtime.

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
Currently we have built-in virtual keyboard functionality(pops up system keyboard). All you have to do is to create some UI to handle these. I'm actually right now designing a "pick a nickname" screen for this.

Yoyo would never bring-in such support because;
  • Using predefined/system UI is simply ugly. I personally don't like seeing Winapi UI elements on games. Same goes for Android as well, considering each Android version uses different UI designs by default, I would simply make my own design. (Unless you're talking about native input area which can be mixed with your UI)
  • The current support for GMS2 allows you to make your own text boxes and this is very convenient and intended for games.
However, I would very want them for debugging purposes in my apps. Simply pop up some Android text boxes so that I can edit some variables on runtime.
Let's see how pretty it is getting the current iteration of GML to draw right-to-left, CTL or CJK text. Neither the built-in texture-based font system nor font_add() do an adequate job at any of these, and YoYo has been downplaying the problem for much longer than I'd like to put up with. It's also an ugly truth that people who make pure-GML keyboards and input fields refuse to acknowledge.

Having access to a native input area that can be styled and supports character substitution (e.g. automatically pulling a CJK character off a CJK fallback font when a Latin-only font is set) is an essential feature, but for years it has neither been adequately documented nor implemented. Right now I only know how to approach that in HTML5 (i.e. overlaying an <input> or <textarea> tag over the canvas area and adding a browser_input_capture() trigger). But on native platforms, I'd like to see more concrete answers from community members or YoYo staff for REAL hooks to underlying APIs, and less emphasis on make-believe GML look-alikes.

Y

yakmoon

Having access to a native input area that can be styled and supports character substitution (e.g. automatically pulling a CJK character off a CJK fallback font when a Latin-only font is set) is an essential feature, but for years it has neither been adequately documented nor implemented.
this statement is all what am saying. it is absolutely ridiculous that I have to write my own code just to add a simple text input functionality. and don't let me start on fonts.
the idea that after all these years the yoyo team had no intent to address this problem is mind boggling.
its laughable that I have to buy an extension to have this functionality on an engine that I bought for 400$.