• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE Debugger not showing code after update

Yizzard

Hey so right after I updated to the latest GameMaker, the debugger stopped working correctly. When I run debug mode it doesn't show the code at all upon hitting a brakepoint. It seems that it is stepping through the code, as when I click step into the variables on the watch list do change. And eventually, the code will show up, but only for certain scripts. As soon as the script is over however, it looks like it freezes and won't show any more code, but again, the variables change in the watch area. This may very well be some weird setting that was somehow changed with the update but I'm not really sure how to fix it. It's quite hard to debug without being able to see the code while you're debugging it lol. Anyway, thanks for the help!

F

FrankiePixelShow

I am also getting this same problem, just as it was described here.
When a breakpoint pauses the game on a script affected by this, The call stack window displays the call stack properly, but double-clicking the topmost script in the callstack doesnt bring up that code page in the main debugger window, nothing happens.

Im not sure what makes some code debuggable and some other code not. The affected code so far has been an inherited user event called with event_inherited() from its child object.

Vusur

Same issue here.
I looked into my code and also noticed, that it only affects objects with event_inherited() (for me, they just inherited events from it's parent and do nothing else right now). Thanks FrankiePixelShow for pointing this out!

You can fix the issue by yourself for now. This problem is in Runtime 2.2.1.287 (or higher).
I changed it back to Runtime 2.2.0.261 and the debugger works fine again.
(Preferences -> Runtime-Feeds -> Master -> choose 2.2.0.261 or 2.2.0.258)

I know, not the best solution, but right now the debugger is way to important for me.

Edit: Seems like Runtime 2.2.1.291 has the same issue. So I edited my post in "or higher".

Last edited:

Yizzard

Yeah, that worked for me. I also tried updating to the newest 2.2.1.291 but it didn't work either. Seems only 2.2.0.258 is working atm.

D

DrRulez

I am also having the same issue. Have many child objects, but debugger will not pause on correct line. It seems to pause, and I can watch variables and hit step (F10) but nothing updates on the debug window, and as pointed out no code pops up automatically, I have to manually open it from the Resource View. If I step into a script it then functions correctly.

The fix above works. Thanks!!!

F

FrankiePixelShow

So the latest version came out and it wasnt fixed, and I couldnt find the bug in the mantis bug tracker, so I submitted a bug report about this. You should submit bug reports here when you find an issue like this: https://accounts.yoyogames.com/contact-us#select
(Its possible someone did report the bug and I just didnt find it though! Either way, submitted it just to be sure. Wouldnt want a problem like this to just go unnoticed for months)

J

J_C

I also have this bug, and it is pretty annoying that it is still hasn't been solved. I hope Yoyogames works on this right now, because this way the debugger is almost useless. Until then I stick to the runtime mentioned above, it works well fortunately.

Last edited by a moderator: