SS Defender - Tower defence space shooter

Jorg Gjer

Some screenshots and a better description would be nice, otherwise it's hard to give feedback

This is my first GameMaker game.

It can take a little time before enemy attack but you have some money to spend.
Use them wisely.
There is a online highscore list so , creds if you can reach top 10.

More info and download at this link.

ss-defender

I would be verry happy if i could get som feedback.

Here is a screenshot and some more description.

SS Defender is a Tower Defence, space shooter strategy game. Defend the space station from attacking enemies. Place defending towers, fighters. Upgrade your wepon, or buy nukes. Do everything you can to defend you base.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jorg Gjer

Yes. But the game doesent have much graphics , and there is som parts that need update. Like the nuke explotion. I would be happy if anyone gave it a try , and give me some first impression feedback.

Jorg Gjer

Hi. Have done some updates. Sounds, stage progress, and so on. The progress during a game is much better now.

Jorg Gjer

Hi.
I was getting feedback that the stearing should be done with mouse. So i upgraded the stearing. You can toggle between a - d for left or right or mouse stearing.
I also added a base direction indicator , if you get far from the base.

Download on itch.io

I will be happy with all feedback , and suggestion on improvements.

Kaizen

W

willthetarget

This is a cool blend of genres, I love space shooters and tower defense and I don't think I've ever seen them combined before! I'll check out your demo!

Niels

Looks like a cool concept, but the name might suggest this is a game about the Schutzstaffel ( SS is a common abbreviation of Schutzstaffel ) :)

Jorg Gjer

If the SS give bad associations , I can change the name. The choice of SS came to me from Space Station. It's time to change the logo anyway. Anyone have any good idea?

E

ElectricdonkeyYT

Hey, you emailed me to ask me to do a quick review on this (I actually realised I had already and forgot to post it). So here, have two!

woodsmoke

The bullets look a bit small. Bigger ones would be more satisfying I think.

When an enemy gets hit by a bullet there is no feedback. Maybe make the enemy sprite turn white for a millisecond.

A nice space-age font would be cool and make it more immersive.

Also the sounds could use a lot of work. The shooting has no punch, and the other fighting sounds sound like medieval fighting sounds?

The main player sprite has little personality. It reminds me of the old asteroids game ship, and doesn't fit to the other more detailed assets like the space station. Maybe have the ship and the space station have the same kind of look/style (or not!). It just somehow feels out of place to me in such a non pixel-y/vector-y game. A unique ship that is not in any other game/movie would be very cool.

I don't want to be mean will all my criticism, just want to help you improve your game, instead of just saying it looks nice.

Last edited:

Jorg Gjer

Hi and thank you to Electricdonke for the review. You have pointed out a lot of things for me that need improvements. First of all i think a tutorial , or in game guidence \ explanation will improve the understanding of the game.
I feel you just played the space shooter part of the game, and not the Tower Defence. I need to make some changes to make the Tower Defence part come more naturally.
You said that the top highscores on the list must be cheating. If you place defending towers and sweepers , and also upgrade the base magnet , you can get score like that in 2-3 runs.
You where a little confused about the stearing. Mouse or AD. That is what you select on the menu screen.

Also, Thank you to Melerski. Most of you sugestions will be added in next version.

Again - Thank you.

Honestly, I'd change the name. There's a million other potential names that don't conjure up any images of defending nazis, hahaha. But cool concept, the space tower defense =D

Jorg Gjer

Updates V207

Made it a bit more intuative to start placing towers.
You start with tower in inventory and getting remind what key to press.
Changed the amount of Heat Rocket you get when purcase.
(Now used more like in a emergency then just spawn'em)
Long gamename enteries will be shorten.
Stage now count from 1 and up.

The bullets are a bit bigger.
If a tower or base take damage , I did my first shader , and they blink red.
Changed fonts in the game.
Removed the medieval sound and changed sound of bullets.
Draw a new space ship, not happy with how it looks. (Hopfully a little more personality)
Change the logo on the menu screen.
Music loop on the menu screen.
++

Published as Zip

Download on ITCH.IO

Last edited:

Jorg Gjer

Hi. I start on a new game now, so unless anyone have found any bugs or have any sugestions on changes or things to add to make the game bretter, I will post in the Made with GameMaker tread soon. But as allways, Anny good sugestions Will be applied.

Greetings.
Kaizen

Last edited: