• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Discussion Weird game_set_speed behavior

D

drowned

I'm experiencing some really strange results both with the game_set_speed function and with simply setting the "Game frames per second" setting in game options. In all cases my real fps is in the hundreds.

If I set the speed to 50 or lower, fps in-game is whatever I set it to
If I set the speed to 60, fps in-game is ~42
if I set the speed to 65, fps in-game is ~59
if I set the speed to 70 or higher, fps in-game is whatever I set it to

If I flip back and forth between windowed and full-screen, it sometimes changes and sometimes doesn't. Sometimes in full screen I set to 60 and get 60, sometimes I set to 60 and get 42.

Any ideas why this only seems to be happening as I approach 60?

D

drowned

I'm talking about fps though, not fps_real. It's not just the value of the variable either, when I set it to 60 and play it while it's reporting 42 fps, it's noticeably very slow

D

drowned

I'm looking at it in the debugger and also drawing it to the screen. Can I ask what you're getting at?

D

drowned

I just updated to runtime 2.2.1.287 and the bell curve around 60 fps seems to be gone. Maybe a bug with the previous version

P

ph101

I wanted to know if you were using external software to mesaure the fps, if you were looking at show_debug_overlay, or checking a variable in GM like fps_real or gamespeed_fps, all which could give difference results - so I wa just looking for more specific information :D I actually had assumed you were on 2.2.1.287 where the fps bug is meant to be fixed (aside from the show_debug_overlay issue I mentioned) hence my interest! (if you check the release notes you can learn about what was fixed)