OFFICIAL GMS2 Version 2.2.1 (BETA RELEASE)

Status
Not open for further replies.

gnysek

Great to see that betas come so often, hope they gonna be still released every 3-4 weeks at least. A HUGE improvement, and really this time I can see lot work was done (from release notes).

I've not had any crashes with the Beta so far.

I can confirm the renaming bug, although I had never come across it before due to never clicking on another resource during the rename operation.

I have a list of things I've noticed that I think need improving, not sure if they are just in the Beta or also the Stable release.

Running Windows 7 on a Mac mini natively via Bootcamp.

1. When double-clicking an entry in the Recent Windows Panel, the IDE jumps the focus to that entry in the IDE, but the cursor gets re-positioned at the top of the newly focused window, not where I was previously editing the file, causes a lot of wasted time having to re-find the position that I was at in the code previously.

2. When using CTRL + TAB, the IDE changes focus to the chosen window, but the cursor is in-active, requiring me to click with my mouse inside the window before I can start typing.

3. Is it possible to bring back the option to ignore comments when searching in all files. This was a very handy feature.

4. Is it possible to press ESCAPE to close search and replace in all files window? I don't like the second or two it takes to hit the X to close the window. Obviously not a must have, but its just something that seems like it should be possible.

5. When playing a music clip in the IDE, it plays through my computers built in speakers, even though I have headphones plugged in. Not sure if this is just something mis-configured on my computer or not though.

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
The rename in the resource tree issue is now fixed, so we'll get a new beta with that (and a few more fixes) soon.

@IndianaBones Please note we don't really support Bootcamp/Parallels/Hackintoshes, etc., as covered in our Required SDKs guide, but it's good to know things are running pretty well for you. 1-4 are in our bug database already as suggestions. #5 is the audio device set in Preferences. At some point this must have been set to use the speakers. Set it to force the headphones or set it to just use the system default, and then it should be fine.

Please note we don't really support Bootcamp/Parallels/Hackintoshes, etc., as covered in our Required SDKs guide, but it's good to know things are running pretty well for you.
Got it, noted. I had read that doc before, but I only remembered the bit about not running in a VM/Hackintosh was not supported, I had forgotten about bootcamp. That's fair enough, I'll keep that in mind. I usually run GMS 2 in Mac Mode, I had just recently switched to using Windows 7 on bootcamp as I needed to do some Windows testing.

1-4 are in our bug database already as suggestions.
Thanks, that's great to know. You just saved me a bunch of time researching that myself, much appreciated.

#5 is the audio device set in Preferences. At some point this must have been set to use the speakers. Set it to force the headphones or set it to just use the system default, and then it should be fine.
Ah...that makes sense. The compiled game itself plays audio through the headphones when they are plugged in, but I see the IDE is set to the speakers in Preferences as you said.

Thanks again!

Elevory

I'm very happy to see that the >60hz framerate bug has been fixed! However, my application now freezes for 3-4 seconds when switching to fullscreen. Here's what the console has to say about this:

"Vsync wait times out of bounds - reverting to sleep based timing"

I'm using a Gsync monitor at 144hz.

Anyone else experiencing a similar issue?
Just to follow up on this:

Using a blank project, I can toggle into fullscreen instantly. However, the lag returns along with the console message if I enable viewports for the active room. So it's looking like this is a bug with 2.2.1...

Zixtix

Anyone having gamepad issues on MacOS and Ubuntu? Here is my experience:
Code:
On Ubuntu 18.04:

GUID: 12 
Description: PDP Xbox 360

Incorrect Mapping:

LStick X and Y are stuck at .5 
RStick Y is stuck at .5 
ShoulderRB ---> RStick X 
Start ---> ShoulderRB 
Select ---> ShoulderLB 
XBox button ---> Select 
StickL ---> Start 
StickR ---> StickL

Absent Mapping:

DPad ---> nothing 
ShoulderLB ---> nothing

On MacOS 10.14:

Need to install a driver called "XBox 360 Controllers" first: https://www.tweaking4all.com/os-tips-and-tricks/macosx-tips-and-tricks/xbox-360-controller-on-mac/

GUID: 0 
Description: Xbox 360 Wired Controller

Incorrect Mapping:

ShoulderR ---> Dpad up 
ShoulderLB ---> RStick X 
StickL ---> Dpad down 
StickR ---> Dpad left 
Start ---> Dpad right 
Select ---> Start 
Xbox button ---> select

RStick X is stuck at -1

Absent Mapping:

Face 1,2,3,4 ---> nothing 
ShoulderL ---> nothing 
ShoulderRB ---> nothing
I have filed a helpdesk ticket but haven't gotten a bug ticket opened yet.

G

If you open a second IDE and accidentally open the project you're already working on in the first IDE, then even if you immediately close the second IDE your project alerts that files have changed (a whole mess of guids) and asks if you want to save or reload. I don't think this happens with the non-beta version.

I recommend checking to see if the same project is already open and giving a warning message.

Also, what's the safest choice when this happens, save or reload?

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
IDE v2.2.1.368 and Runtime v2.2.1.279 are now released to Beta users. https://help.yoyogames.com/hc/en-us/articles/360018353352 if you're not already on the Beta Channel and you want more info.

This update fixes the following:
0030126: Preferences: Spacing for the EULA URL on Beta page is not "clever"
0030165: General: Release notes pages don't work when viewed using https
0030180: Importing Projects (2.x): Dragging in a yyz/yyp to import when another project is open can cause "unstable"
0030181: Resource Tree: Creating Folders sometimes locks the cursor in "reorder" mode
0030182: General: [Mac IDE] Downloads a Windows .exe when offering Beta Channel IDE updates on startup
0030215: Variables Window: Specific property on instances in this project don't override their property correctly

Be aware if you're using the macOS IDE, then you will still need to download the installer directly this one last time, as the update notification will be wrong in your current install - http://gms.yoyogames.com/GameMakerStudio2-2.2.1.368.pkg

If you could let us know if you're still able to reproduce the resource tree renaming issue or the dragging in yyp/yyz files when you have a project open already - if you can, we would ask you to send us the project you're dragging-in so we can check it out here.

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
If you open a second IDE and accidentally open the project you're already working on in the first IDE, then even if you immediately close the second IDE your project alerts that files have changed (a whole mess of guids) and asks if you want to save or reload. I don't think this happens with the non-beta version.

I recommend checking to see if the same project is already open and giving a warning message.

Also, what's the safest choice when this happens, save or reload?
You can certainly get that situation with the non-beta also, but as the saving system is much improved in 2.2.1 this is probably why you're seeing the change dialogue sooner - will look more into this here. I will pass on the message about the dialogue suggestion also.

Reloading is the safest option ("save" is to save what you currently have in the IDE, "reload" is to throw away your modifications and reload off the disk).

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Regarding pad mappings, 2.2.1 has the ability in it already for you to retrieve the current pad mappings, edit this, and apply it again so your game will support that pad how you want. We have added more default mappings and fixes in 2.2.1, but if you have issues with a pad you're now able to resolve this yourself. In many cases now this will be the answer you get from the Helpdesk (especially if it's an obscure pad).

(Xbox 360 wired and wireless have multiple hardware revisions, so we'd need to know the current mapping and the pad's specific guid in order for us to fix anyway.)

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Changed only for Stable, yes - will ask about getting Beta hand-edited.

Edit: It is the release notes .html file which has been changed (as per the bug report), not the .rss feeds themselves. We're not changing the .rss feed contents, sorry.

Last edited:

Carnivius

no. just whatever came in the PC.
dxdiag thingy says this:
View attachment 21618
Thought that number seemed small on my previous post of DXDiag. Reinstalled (actually just checked the numbers and it's different version? With the newer one being wrong?) video drivers and it now says

Imagegffggf8.png

which seems much more sensible... however GMS2 is still crashing and even shows a new error message sometimes when trying to run a project.
Imagefggffgg6.png

Dunno what this all means. Except now i see there's again new drivers... so will update again. back in a bit...

Last edited:

Elevory

Would someone mind confirming the behavior described below so I can rule out the possibility of user error? If this is indeed a bug, I'll file it through the proper channels. Thanks!

I'm very happy to see that the >60hz framerate bug has been fixed! However, my application now freezes for 3-4 seconds when switching to fullscreen. Here's what the console has to say about this:

"Vsync wait times out of bounds - reverting to sleep based timing"

I'm using a Gsync monitor at 144hz.

Anyone else experiencing a similar issue?
Just to follow up on this:

Using a blank project, I can toggle into fullscreen instantly. However, the lag returns along with the console message if I enable viewports for the active room. So it's looking like this is a bug with 2.2.1...

G

Also a request for someone to confirm a possible bug: Using Android, if I have one phone connected by USB but select a different (disconnected) phone to build to, I get an "architecture not supported, please include armv5 architecture" error. This is not a great error message; it almost sent me down a rabbithole before I noticed my mistake. If this happens to someone else---trying to build to a different device than is actually connected gives a "need armv5" error---please say so, and I'll report it as a bug.

TheSnidr

Heavy metal viking dentist
GMC Elder
The IDE seems generally very slow now compared to before, especially when working with resources, adding new ones and renaming or moving old ones. It regularly freezes for between 1 and 3 seconds after modifying a resource, which isn't a lot in itself, but it gets tedious when I have lots of resources to manage. Is it saving the entire project every time I modify a resource..?

P

ph101

Hi just a note that I filed a ticket #151420 on the 9th november so over 2 weeks back about the debug show fps issue mentioned earlier in this thread, and I haven't received anything beyond the automated reply - so as far as I know I don;t think this has been logged in mantis as an issue? Do you need more information? Just wondering if this has got lost somehow.

gnysek

Today changes (there may be more, I've just compared release notes)

IDE 368 -> 372:
- Resource Tree: Fixed an issue where cloning the Default view would leave the resource tree blank

Runner 279 -> 284:
- Audio Initialisation Changes
- In response to Chrome changing again in December, we've now made GMS consistent with the browsers expecting a touch/click before all HTML5 audio playback
- A new audio_system_status System Event will be fired when audio playback becomes available or stops being available in the browser - you can also query this status using audio_system_is_available()
- Note that this applies to all browsers on all platforms, not just Chrome, and we recommend you always use this system even though some browsers may allow sounds to play without touches having been made
- Note also that all non-HTML5 platforms will fire this audio availability system event once at Game Start, so they will always return true to audio_system_is_available()
- See the manual for specifics

Ricardo

@Dan There exist any prevision on when the mandatory download of audio files at initialization for mobile browsers (HTML5) will be corrected? Or maybe if there exists any workaround to avoid it?
I have an important project with dozens of streamed musics and that behavior make it impossible for my game to run on mobile devices. If a sound is flagged as streamed, it shouldn't be downloaded and loaded when the game starts.

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
As Pitor says, IDE v2.2.1.372 and Runtime v2.2.1.284 are now released to Beta users. https://help.yoyogames.com/hc/en-us/articles/360018353352 if you're not already on the Beta Channel and you want more info. macOS IDE 368 will update correctly, but if you require it - http://gms.yoyogames.com/GameMakerStudio2-2.2.1.372.pkg

0030183: Resource Tree: When you clone the default resource view you are unable to see resources in the new view
0030184: General: buffer_network should be removed from fnames as it's not used currently
0030204: HTML5: keyboard_string and keyboard_lastchar translate key presses as if the keyboard in use was a UK keyboard
0030213: UI: After closing the debugger, part of the IDE was blank and refused input / 0028457: UI: Image Editor edit area offset after closing room in next workspace

And it also introduces the changes to audio initialisation mentioned by Piotr, which is primarily aimed at HTML5, but the events will fire on native platforms also for consistency purposes. This change affects Chrome (including Chromium, Vivaldi, likely Opera), Safari, and Edge. It does not affect Firefox, as that doesn't do the same "permissions" system the others are all now moving to, and instead it just plays all your audio anyway.

We're already aware older versions of Edge won't give you any sound and older versions of Safari on iOS stop playing your sounds after a few seconds - all we can suggest here is to update the OS to update those browsers, as this is beyond our control.

We're also looking into removing the need to pre-download streamed sounds on iOS and Android, now that this new browser audio permission system is in place. This will come in 2.2.2.

We are aware 2.2.1 still does not show the correct debug overlay FPS values for some timing methods/monitor refresh rate combinations - 0030259.

So, with this beta release we're looking for feedback on these HTML5 audio changes: Do you now have issues playing your sounds on recent versions of browsers? Is the manual clear on how to implement this new system?

Remember to file a ticket for your issues and include small sample projects whenever possible.

Last edited:

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
@Dan There exist any prevision on when the mandatory download of audio files at initialization for mobile browsers (HTML5) will be corrected? Or maybe if there exists any workaround to avoid it?
I have an important project with dozens of streamed musics and that behavior make it impossible for my game to run on mobile devices. If a sound is flagged as streamed, it shouldn't be downloaded and loaded when the game starts.
Now that the permission system is in place, we've released this version to start getting feedback, and we're now working on making this change for the next GMS2 release.

Also a request for someone to confirm a possible bug: Using Android, if I have one phone connected by USB but select a different (disconnected) phone to build to, I get an "architecture not supported, please include armv5 architecture" error. This is not a great error message; it almost sent me down a rabbithole before I noticed my mistake. If this happens to someone else---trying to build to a different device than is actually connected gives a "need armv5" error---please say so, and I'll report it as a bug.
This is already reported as 0029582: Build Android: Architecture check still happens even if your device is not connected, results in incorrect ARMv5 error

The IDE seems generally very slow now compared to before, especially when working with resources, adding new ones and renaming or moving old ones. It regularly freezes for between 1 and 3 seconds after modifying a resource, which isn't a lot in itself, but it gets tedious when I have lots of resources to manage. Is it saving the entire project every time I modify a resource..?
No, the IDE doesn't do that - unless you're still using a FAT formatted HDD or perhaps working off a network drive? However, if you're working out of a OneDrive/Dropbox/etc. "live" folder or you have antivirus/anti-malware software running, then you might be seeing the IDE recognising that files were locked and retrying the save a few times. This is intentional and is to stop these external processes causing saving fails. Send us a ticket and let us know if none of these are the case.

Last edited:

Ricardo

Now that the permission system is in place, we've released this version to start getting feedback, and we're now working on making this change for the next GMS2 release.
Awesome news! That issue has been killing me for months.

Ricardo

@Dan I just noticed that you guys fixed the Android/iOS HTML5 mandatory download sounds thing. However, it seems to be targeted to v2.2.2. This means I won't get this fix in next 2.2.1 beta (or stable)? Our team REALLY need to fix for our project. There's any way we could put our hands on it?

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Not currently - we fixed that particular report by removing the previous workaround, but in testing we then found whilst this system works fine on Android now, iOS has serious device stability issues that we're currently investigating. There are further private reports you can't see.

It is a top priority and will be part of a 2.2.2 beta as soon as we can.

Ricardo

Not currently - we fixed that particular report by removing the previous workaround, but in testing we then found whilst this system works fine on Android now, iOS has serious device stability issues that we're currently investigating. There are further private reports you can't see here ;)
It is a top priority and will be part of a 2.2.2 beta as soon as we can.
iOS has serious device stability? It's funny because, first of all, the "workaround" you guys came to "fix" the sound issue on mobile (download and load all the sounds beforehand) NEVER was a real viable option in a rial life projects with several music and sounds. Maybe it was in the small demo projects you guys used to test, but not in a serious project. Before that "fix", at least our Android users (about 80% of our mobile players) could play our HTML5 game without any issue (iOS never was suitable). Now, 0% of our Android players can play because the game crash at loading. WHAT A NICE FIX! And here am I hearing it will be delayed even more due to iOS oddities (that always existed due to iOS nature).
Please, guys, consider remove that non-sense sound download mandatory thing in the next beta, only that by itself will serve well. The iOS oddities can be patched later. Keeping unusable the whole thing for even more time serves no one.

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Just to be clear, it wasn't a fix for our stuff or a change we wanted to make; it was a response to a change in browser behaviour on Safari and Chrome we needed to make in order to keep sounds playing at all in those browsers. (As is this further change in 2.2.1.) And whilst us adding the change might be okay for you personally because you're not fussed about iOS support, that wouldn't work for our users who do care about their iOS players.

Send us a Helpdesk ticket so we have your account details, etc., and we will work with you to get you an Android fix sooner.

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Have updated the first post in this thread with all of the release deltas and current info now, but just to maintain the timeline and for anyone watching page 2 of this thread...

IDE v2.2.1.374 Runtime v2.2.1.286 is out now

0030277: Functions: ds_grid_get() now causes crashes on YYC only when returning strings

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
2.2.1 is out fully now! (IDE v2.2.1.375 Runtime v2.2.1.287) Be aware this is identical in all but version number to 2.2.1.374 / 2.2.1.286. If you want to opt out of the beta at this time you will see the update notification for the regular release. Alternatively, stay on the Beta opt-in and you will be notified when the 2.2.2 beta is ready.

We're now locking this thread and making the usual full-release thread.

Thanks for all your feedback and help, folks, and see you all in 2.2.2!

Status
Not open for further replies.