• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

GameMaker Vector Sprites Maker Programs?

M

Mythi.T

Simple Question: Is there any FREE software that can make .SWG images for vector game maker sprites

Help Thanks

C

CedSharp

I don't know about SWG formar, but I know about SVG format (if that's what you meant.
There are plenty out there, but one free and common one is InkScape.

There is new one I started using recently, it works a bit differently but you can take a look if you want,
it's called Vectr.

M

Mythi.T

I don't know about SWG formar, but I know about SVG format (if that's what you meant.

There is new one I started using recently, it works a bit differently but you can take a look if you want,
it's called Vectr.
it yes typo. Meant SWF

JackTurbo

I work with Adobe Animate
Agree that adobe animate is probably the best option for swf sprite creation (especially used in conjunction with Illustrator).

However OP is asking about free tools.

Not used it myself (as ive always needed adobe stuff for work projects anyway) but I've heard that Inkscape is a pretty good free vector drawing package, plus someone over on Reddit wrote a swf exporter for it.

D

dannyjenn

Just wondering... does anyone know why GameMaker doesn't support SVG? You'd think that since it's an open format (and newer too), YoYo Games would have added support for that before adding SWF support. Is this just because Adobe is the "industry standard", or is there some other reason?

M

Mythi.T

it's called Vectr.
I know vectr and have been using it for 2 years know, I love it, but I wish there was an offline mode.
However, vectr doesn't export swf.

Dr_Nomz

Does Game Maker even support vectors? I thought it was only good for static pixels and interpolation...

That said, how about GIMP? It's like Photoshop and REALLY good for making high quality images. Maybe you can use that? (And then just set the room view port to like twice what it should be or something, to give the "vector" effect)

Vector and pixel art aren't interchangeable. If you're using vector art it's because you want to do things that pixel art can't. So substitution isn't really a solution. And yes, GMS (haphazardly) supports vector images.

C

CedSharp

Does Game Maker even support vectors? I thought it was only good for static pixels and interpolation...

That said, how about GIMP? It's like Photoshop and REALLY good for making high quality images. Maybe you can use that? (And then just set the room view port to like twice what it should be or something, to give the "vector" effect)
GameMaker supports SWF (with a bunch of limitations) and skeletal animation (from the SPINE program. Those are actually pixel images with pre-programmed animations)
Check the documentation and give it a good read :p

With SWF can use vectors as long as you follow the instructions and limitations explained in the documentation.
With SPINE, you get to have super smooth animations without bloating your game with tons of sprite sub-images.

I use Spriter for doing my animations, which is similar to SPINE but much cheaper (free version available).
You can export to a spritesheet (which you can then import in gamemaker as a sprite with sub-images) or
you can get this extension on the marketplace which will implement the animation in game (so like SPINE you import only the sprite parts and then "move" them to generate the animation).

Hopefully this answers your doubt and anyone else's :p