• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows Game Maker Studio 2 Creating extra drives

B

Blakkid489

This is supposed to happen right? the x,y, and z drives appeared when I launched GMS2

hippyman

Yeah there's a reason for them showing up. They'll go away when you're done using GM. It's weird but it's supposed to happen I guess..

GMWolf

aka fel666
These extra drives contains a bunch of intermediate files GM produces when compiling your game.
Why it doesn't just have a build folder like 99% of build systems out there? IDk.

Dog Slobber

Depending on Windows version there is a limitation for pathnames. Typically 260 character for the fully qualified file name with the directory name less than 248.

Some of the tools used by GMS might further restrict lengths.

To reduce the potential for path limits being reached GMS creates virtual drive mappings, points them at the project folder and then references the drive instead of a lengthy file name and path.

Occasionally, there have been reports of these virtual drives not being cleaned up after a build. Should that be the case you can remove the virtual drive with the subst command.

subst drive: /D

ie

subst z: /D

S

SpaceDragonForce909

I just had this happen and was like WTF lol... it even created a fake Blu Ray drive... how?