HTML5 MMORPG possible with GMS2?

J

Jackdahack

Hi,

We are currently working on a small online multiplayer game. It's not a real MMORPG, that would be overkill. But it's about the players being able to log in daily, do things on the card (loot and move), and save the new position on the map.

We are currently experimenting with many host / client tutorials around. Since our server structure here just allow us HTML5 projects, the question is whether it is conceivable in this constellation to realize the whole exclusively via GML.

The-any-Key

A MMO via GML is not a good idea. For a real-time game you need several dedicated servers in a fast server language (ex Node) that can handle 1000+ connections on ex headless Linux. If you have a multiplayer game just try to connect 10-20 people and you see what I mean. But MMO often involve Game servers, World servers, RELAY servers, STUN servers, login servers, inventory servers... There are a lot of servers that work together to make a MMO architecture.

You could however use HTTP requests and make a small MMO with a webserver. But note that this is often very slow. So you need to design your game for that. So no real-time movement or sync between players.

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
A MMO via GML is not a good idea. For a real-time game you need several dedicated servers in a fast server language (ex Node) that can handle 1000+ connections on ex headless Linux. If you have a multiplayer game just try to connect 10-20 people and you see what I mean. But MMO often involve Game servers, World servers, RELAY servers, STUN servers, login servers, inventory servers... There are a lot of servers that work together to make a MMO architecture.

You could however use HTTP requests and make a small MMO with a webserver. But note that this is often very slow. So you need to design your game for that. So no real-time movement or sync between players.
Doing an MMO client on GML is still a good idea. It's doing an MMO server on GML that's a bad idea.

Also, real-time movement and synchronization between players is pretty doable on HTML5 if you use WebSockets. The real problem is what exactly the original poster means by "our server structure here just allow us HTML5 projects".

The-any-Key

Doing an MMO client on GML is still a good idea. It's doing an MMO server on GML that's a bad idea.
I agree. You can also do game servers that run the physics of the game in GML.

The real problem is what exactly the original poster means by "our server structure here just allow us HTML5 projects
Yes, it was not totally clear. So I assumed they used HTTP requests. But I did not have much to go on. Guesswork what the OP really means is pretty standard on the forum :)

Last edited:

Pfap

Also, real-time movement and synchronization between players is pretty doable on HTML5 if you use WebSockets. The real problem is what exactly the original poster means by "our server structure here just allow us HTML5 projects".
Can you use the upgrade header with gml and http? Or can you use regular sockets to connect to a websocket server?

J

Jackdahack

We are currently writing a game for our employees which should run on our internal office network. Since we are a larger company, we have to adhere to certain specifications. So we can not load an executable on our servers. We were suggested for the project to write a web based application.

It will not be an MMORPG. I'm sorry that this addition may be more confusing than it helps. Ultimately the game will work in a similar way as "OGame" or "Planetarion"
just not in the complexity. Ultimately, however, the employees should have the chance to log in daily and perform actions (movement / looting). These are saved and can change daily. Overall, a game round lasts 3 weeks. Thus, the progress must also be saved and the server be available over a longer period of time. Do you understand what i mean ? :)

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
So it's a browser game which contains the typical mundane daily tasks you'd expect to find in an MMORPG?

If you "can not load an executable on [your] servers", would the server application also need to be a web interface accessed through a browser window and kept permanently open?

Or would there be no direct equivalent of a server application and the game (which is a web application) would access a database via server-side scripts?

Since you mentioned "exclusively via GML", are you trying to cut out any potential middleman between the client and the server (and the database, if one is planned)?