• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Fast Movement, Reduce Ghosting, New Member

B

Bobo_The_Cat

Hi, I´m new to this Forum but not completely new to Game Maker anymore.

Actually I planned to finish my game without any help
and after one year with Game Maker and my project I learned a lot and made much progress.
But since the very beginning I´m struggling with two problems
and after spending so many days and nights I´m not sure if there even is a solution to them.
One of them is Monitor-Ghosting.
I am working on a fast game with J´N´R elements.
Everything works just fine but if my character moves faster than 4 Pixels per step the ghosting becomes irritating not to mention what happens if it runs really fast.

Now most people don´t want to buy an expensive monitor to play a 2D game.
There must be a trick to make the game more gentle to the eye.
I experimented with changing the level of contrast between colors
and I programmed my own camera but to no effect.
The Texfilter of GM is no acceptable solution either.
How did Sega solve this problem?
Classic Sonic games look so smooth.

I hope anyone can help me and you can excuse my bad english I´m not a native english speaker.

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Marcus12321

I'm not sure what you mean by ghosting... Do you mean your object is moving so fast that on your monitor it appears that it is blurring?

What FPS is your game running it?

B

Bobo_The_Cat

I'm not sure what you mean by ghosting... Do you mean your object is moving so fast that on your monitor it appears that it is blurring?

What FPS is your game running it?

Yes on my monitor or my eyes it appears blurry.
But only if it runs with more than 20 Frame per second.
When I capture it on Video and pause there is no blur.

My game is set to 60fps.

It´s most likely because of the speed, my monitor and the human eye.
But there must be a way to make a fast game that doesn´t hurt your eyes.

B

Bobo_The_Cat

Ok, on YouTube it is much less visible than when I play the original videofile.
I don`t know why.
Perhaps because of the lower framerate.

It´s obviously my monitor or my eyes, but buying a new Laptop is not the solution.
I want everyone to be able to play my game.

B

Bobo_The_Cat

To be honest I only played Sonic on my LCD TV (and old TVs).
I watched Youtube-Videos of Sonic for the Genesis to test it XD
(I guess in hindsight this is not really a solid proof).

Does the movement of my game look blurry or hard to look at on somebody elses monitor?
Or am I overthinking it?

TheouAegis

Keep the main character in the center and it won't be an issue, because the player will be focused on the main character and not the blurred environments.

You can also try messing with the scaling. I mean, a Sega Genesis is upscaled to fit your TV screen, thus it looks like 💩💩💩💩 so you don't notice that it's blurring. It also causes neighboring pixels to be the same so that when they bleed into each other, it's less noticeable.

B

Bobo_The_Cat

Keep the main character in the center and it won't be an issue, because the player will be focused on the main character and not the blurred environments.

You can also try messing with the scaling. I mean, a Sega Genesis is upscaled to fit your TV screen, thus it looks like **** so you don't notice that it's blurring. It also causes neighboring pixels to be the same so that when they bleed into each other, it's less noticeable.
That comment is very helpful.
I already noticed that Sonics Camera is very centered and has tight borders.
And I thought speed looked better back when my game had a more simplistic camerasystem but I lost track of that thought.

After work I will try some things and perhaps I will implement the option to choose between dynamic and centered camerasystem.

B

Bobo_The_Cat

Good, horizontally centered it looks better
but it plays a bit worse.
So I implemented a way to switch the camera-setting by one keypress or in the menu.
I guess for now this is the best solution I can find.